Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: 26" 30-30 lube

Boolit Mold

26" 30-30 lube

Good day everyone:
    I've got a 1909 94 takedown in very good condition,the bore is perfect.
    it has a 26" Oct barrel.
    im shooting lee 150gr rnfp gas checked.
    i was wondering what lube i should use for his long barrel and moderate to high speeds.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Z

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use either Lee Liquid Alox or LSStuff 45-45-10 in my Finn M39 with 27" barrel and get no leading.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Sometimes the proper amount of lube is only obtained via the grease groove dimensions.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master

Between Randy Rat and White Label lubes (in no particular order) you have a whole ton of choices that'll do great for you.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In Remembrance

30-30 has not been a problem to lube. I currently use Ben's Red that I made, but White Label in most types has done well, Alox 50\50, Carnuba Red, and others of theirs I forget the name of worked well. I have used BEN'S red and Carnuba Red on rifle and pistol loaded from mild to wild with great results.

Boolit Master
    Lar's 45-45-10 has been the bee's knees for everything I have needed. That being said I have heard nothing but praise for Randy Rat's lubes as well.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    I used commercial 50/50 Alox-Bee's wax, so called NRA formula for 30+years with that boolit and for a while in a 24" Marlin Microgroove barrel with great results. requires .311" sizing, however!!!
    Lately, I've used SPG with equally good results. Typical loadings are for ~2,100fps which above such, accuracy decreases.

I've only recently started playing with "alternative lubes" by making some Ben's red, and 60/40 LLA and JFW (J.FloorWax).
    I don't like the 60/40, will return to LLA with Mineral Spirits added to fill bottle with a 1/4" buckshot added as agitator.
    Haven't used the Ben's Red yet. Mine turned out John's PINK, and a bit soft, so as soon as I find some more Bee's wax, I add a bit more...

With the 26" bbl, I think you'll do better with the 170gr FNGC. Tumble lube and then run through the sizer-lubricater to add gas check/lube.
    I have two of the Lee .309-150gr FNGC. The first was a single cavity bought in 1977 and was single cavity. Has shallower and narrower lube grooves than my 2000 or so purchased double cavity. Double cavity does better with higher velocity loads, older one is more accurate tumble lubed and run over ~7.5gr Unique or Green Dot...w/o gas check.

Boolit Grand Master
    Shouldn't be a hard one to lube. Long barrels might need as much lube as you can get. I use Ben's Red followed by Ben's LL and find it is hard to beat.