RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 450-40 Nitro Express Oh my!

Boolit Master

450-40 Nitro Express Oh my!

So I bought a Ruger #1 in 450-400 Nitro Express. The least expensive ammo I could find was...$89.00 for 20 rounds. Yep, almost $5.00 each. British African cartridges are expensive! I emailed Hornady and they said they should make a another run of brass in July. I sure hope so. Even that should be about $36.00 for 20.

NOE has a great looking boolet I'm going to try, the 412 360Gr. FN GC. I found some loading data that shows 32Gr of Accurate 5744 throws a 400Gr boolet at 1300fps. While 49Gr throws a 300Gr boolet at 2100fps. I'm going to try and find a happy medium. It seems that 5744 is the way to go.

I have some .410 265Gr GC boolets that I'll mess with a bit. They're likely too light but maybe they'll be good for target practice.

..stay tuned.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    I'm assuming you are referring to the .450/.400 2 3/8" Nitro Express as described in "Cartridges of the World" 14th edition by Frank Barnes. The cost? The price of history! A fine old BP round. The book mentions 210 to 270g lead atop 79 to 84g 2Fg. The other listings are for cordite. Those are old listings- I believe Ruger intended a much more robust loading.

Shabbat Shalom!
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

I believe the Ruger is the 450/400 3 inch round. Hornady makes both it and the 3-1/4 inch round which aren't interchangeable. My double rifle is in the 3-1/4 inch case. Huntington's also sells brass for both calibers and may have a brand on stock. It's worth a call.

Boolit Master
    That is the cartridge Jim Corbett used in the early 1900s in India to kill a number of man eating Tigers.

Maneaters of Cumaon.
    It's a great read.

I'd sure be interested in a range report.
    Thanks & congratulations.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Banner Sponsor

I bought some .410 265GC bullets on Midway and tried them in my 405Win. I know they are too small, but they grouped well and were fun to shoot.

I've run 500LFN's at 2150, lubed with my 2500+ and Carnauba Red, out of my 470NE without any problems. I loaded with a Fed 215, RL-15 and a tuft of Dacron to hold it all in place.

Boolit Master
    The Ruger #1 in 450-400 3" Nitro Express takes a .410 bullet so I may try some bullets intended for 41 magnums. I'm a bit concerned that bullets designed for the 41 mag are just too short. They would have to be seated really far from the rifling...I'm not sure what kind of issue could arise because of this.

I'd like to find a nice cast bullet that's fun to shoot. NOE has a 412-238-WFN GC that really appeals to me. The NOE 412 360Gr. FN GC looks like it should work but a nice, light bullet to plink with would be kinda cool too.

Imagine "plinking" with a 450-400 Nitro Express. I am really jaded.
    Last edited by AbitNutz; 05-02-2015 at 02:15 AM.
    [

Boolit Master
    Quote: Imagine "plinking" with a 450-400 Nitro Express. I am really jaded.

An old friend bought a #1 450-400 last year and loves it. He also has one each in 470 nitro and 500 nitro that I barreled up for him. He has no aspirations for going to Africa but, he does like to shoot them, and mostly with full loads. I guess you could call that plinking.

I enjoy telling the guys at the range with a muzzlebrake on their 300 magnum that they must be shooting too much rifle if they need a brake. Then I drag out a real rifle, meaning something of at least 3/8" bore diameter, and offer to let them shoot it. Sometimes one of them will accept.

Enjoy your new rifle.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Moderator Emeritus

I've always longed for a gun in one of the old "African" calibers, and the .450/.400 is probably the most "practical" of the lot. Have also considered the .45/100 or .45/110, the .50 Alaskan or .50/110, but recoil was always a question, as was the expense of cases. Every man with a true adventurous spirit HAS to want one. GETTING one is another matter, and frankly, I salute you for following through on it.

FWIW, if anything, if it were me and I wanted a neat lil' low-recoil round to plink and practice with, and those #1's ARE grand rifles, no matter what endeavor they're engaged in, I think I'd use cast rather than jacketed bullets. They're cheaper, and sometimes, jacketed can be problematic for making up light loads in cavernous cases because it takes much more pressure to engage the rifling and push them down the bore than would a similarly greased lead bullet.

And as to small charges in cavernous cases, we are constantly reminded that using small tufts of dacron or other "fillers" can and has resulted in "ringing" of barrels. A friend who has done a goodly amount of light bullet shooting in large calibers got around this by using ENOUGH dacron to fill the case to the base of the bullet. He has had zero problems doing this, and dacron pillow stuffing just isn't costly enough to not do this, IMHO.

Ultimately, your fine new gun should be capable of taking everything from rabbits and squirrels or grouse/qual, etc., on up to Elephant, Hippo, Rhino and Buff, and doing it IN STYLE! Keep us posted on your results. As I've gotten older, I find recoil bothers me more than it used to, but I still have a love for those old guns in my heart that'll never die, so maybe you can give us fans of that kind of thing a little vicarious thrill. If it were me, the first game I'd try for with it would be deer. I have an idea you'll find it rather a spectacular killer with cast on them, too. Most any gun will KILL a deer, but the big bullets do it with a bit more spectacular style than the smaller ones.

Boolit Master
    It's interesting to note that while Accurate 5744 is almost universally suggested by makers of powder, bullets and brass for reduced loads and cast bullets. No reference mentions the use of filler material, such as Dacron. I wonder if that's just not a problem with 5744 due to its quick burn rate or nobody wants to commit to putting anything but powder in a case. However, just loading 30 to 50 grains of powder into a case that has a capacity of 113 grains does give one pause.

A light bullet with 40Gr of 5744 is going to sound like a maraca when shaken...Oh, but maybe being British it is to be "shaken, not stirred". Didn't James Bond in his last movie make use of a large British double rifle? Shaken not stirred indeed.
    [

Boolit Master
    I was watching a couple of youtube video's with folks shooting the NO.1 in 450-400 Nitro Express. It really surprised me to see most had some sort of optical sight on it. One guy almost got a good case of "magnum eye".

I've thought about trying to improve the trigger a bit but it looks like the only one available for a NO.1 is the Kepplinger single set trigger. Having a scope and a set trigger seems unwise on any rifle chambered for a Nitro Express cartridge.
    [

Moderator Emeritus

I can't recall whether Lee S haver does trigger work on #1's, but he did my 1885 Browning BPCR, and it was most excellent work. If it were me, I'd call and check with him. If not, he may be able to suggest a good one, or another good 'smith to do the work on it.

With respect to the scope, most people today seem to insist on the objective being close to the eye. This, I think, is the source for the popularity of the phrase "Weatherby eye" - a cut above the right eyebrow. It seems many have to experience this before they'll move it forward where they get better cheek contact/weld with the rifle. The old Brits did some outstanding and consistent shooting with irons, but I'm now at the stage I just can't use them worth a warm bucket of spit. Ironically, now is THE time in my life I really WANT to! Ain't it funny how that works? I have an old '03 Spfld. in orig. configuration, and it has the early "blade" front sight. It totally disappears, and I mean that quite literally, when I'm in shooting position. Can't see it AT ALL. (Sigh!) But I DO look really good missing. Does that count for anything on score???

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    AbitNutz

This is what I have been using for my toy.

Cast boolit:

Right hand tray

As to having a optical sight on this single shot rifle I have found it to be helpful when shooting non dangerous game up close and when shooting dangerous game from a reasonable distance.

In ref to the pistol j words, they load fine and they shoot good too.

Middle 210 grain, right is a 300 grain

H
    Last edited by MOA; 10-18-2016 at 08:29 PM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Now, if you really get into the African line of cartridges you can always pair up your current one with the 9.3 x 74R.

And now folks, it's time to go. I have cold lead in the shop calling out my name for heat, good luck on all the fun working up your plinking and hunting loads!
    Last edited by MOA; 10-18-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Boolit Master
    MOA...thanks so much for all that info! I just ordered two NOE molds The 360Gr and a 238Gr. I'm also going to try the 41 mag Honady XTP in your picture. It's good to know I'm not alone in my insanity.

I'm hoping that Hornady comes through with a new run of brass in July like they wrote me. My only other source would be loaded ammo at $100.00 a box of 20.
    [

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Now, if you really get into the African line of cartridges you can always pair up your current one with the 9.3 x 74R.

And now folks, it's time to go. I have cold lead in the shop calling out my name for heat, good luck on all the fun working up your plinking and hunting loads!

Or the .375 H&H? actually the .450-400 is a great cartridge on it's own.
    Looking in my Hornaday Handbook Of Cartridge Reloading 9th edition on page 615 & 616 there are data for the .450-400 Nitro Express 3". They only use two bullets of their own though both 400gr one a soft & one a solid. The test rilfe..... drum roll please!!!!! A Ruger #1 W/24" bbl. This would be a GREAT cartridge to take into the dark timber after Elk. In our dark timber we have Grizzlys who are also after Elk.
    I'm staying tuned to follow the results of this ctg.

Boolit Buddy
    Just out of curiosity, do you guys use a forward observer to adjust "the artillery" fire on your game shooting? God Bless to all and theirs. Goofy aka Godfrey.
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Master
    In the late 1960s a fellow gun club member passed away and left his widow with a house and garage full of guns. Many were old black powder rifles. One English double was made by Craigswell & Harrison and chambered for a 50 caliber three inch round. It was in a well worn leather case with all the accessories.
    It of course had outside hammers with an under lever you pulled to the right. The gun was well used but still sound. I wanted to buy the rifle but the lady was not ready to sell that one just yet. She told me to take it home and play with it for a few months and get it out of my system. I took the beast home and filled one of the big three inch cases with 3f. The case had some cast bullets in it so I stuffed one of them into the mouth of the case. I didn't have any loading dies. I took the rifle to the range the next weekend and waited until everyone had left. I wanted to shoot it on the pistol range which was a no-no. My wife was with me that day so I told her to pick me up if I hit the ground. I was standing when I pulled the trigger and it staggered me. I had to take two quick steps or I would have gone over. I never tried it from the bench, in fact I never shot the gun again. After six months I took it back. A few months later the lady called and said I could have the double for $275. I told her I didn't have the money at the time so she sold it to another man for $300. He told her he just had to have it. He took it to a gun show the next weekend and sold it for $700. The widow heard about it and she was ticked. I don't think she sold him anything else. There was another double rifle made by Grant & Lang, also in a leather case. This one was chambered for the 45x3-1/4 case. This was a best quality double and in excellent condition. It was made for someone my size while the 50 caliber was made for a tall man with long arms. She would never sell me the Grant and Lang. There were many fine guns to be had and at 1960s prices. I remember a cased Maynard with three barrels she was asking $1500 for and I don't know if it sold or not. I did buy some Colt pistols but that is another story. I am attaching pictures of come of the big case. She let me have. They are the 45x 3 & !/4, 50x 3, 50-70, 45-90, 45-82 and the puny Remington 41 Derringer round.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    For some light loads look up Ross Seyfried's articles on Nitro for Black loads.

You can also look for brass marked 400 jeffery, same cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Oh would I like to have a nice little Double in .450-400.
    What a great Elk rifle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast