Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why we bow

Boolit Buddy

Why we bow

An old monk asked his students why they bow when they come into the temple, they gave all sorts of reasons (to show respect to temple, to show respect to our elders, to prepare for study, etc) but the old monk simply said "We found out that when we bow first things just seem to work better".

I am not saying this board is a temple, but I think if we all would at least mental bow before posting or replying to thread that 'things would just seem to work better'.

I would also like to say a thank you to our moderators, having been on various boards for decades (I go back to BBS) this is one place that I can relax and enjoy the fellowship of like minded individuals.

Boolit Buddy

With all due respect to your intent I would suggest a salute.

Americans don't and should not bow.

Have Fun,

JCherry

In Remembrance

Didn`t we defeat those that bow back in `45?Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JCherry View Post
    With all due respect to your intent I would suggest a salute.

Americans don't and should not bow.

Have Fun,

JCherry
    Bow, salute, genuflect, the difference is?

What or who do I salute, I have not saluted since I was a Cub Scout unless you are talking about my hand over my heart?

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Boolit Buddy
    We have a few members who would prefer to curtsey (I'm talking about the ladies not you dudes that shoot 9mm).

Boolit Master

You miss out on Military Service? Probably the most patriotic thing I have ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post
    Bow, salute, genuflect, the difference is?

What or who do I salute, I have not saluted since I was a Cub Scout unless you are talking about my hand over my heart?

Tim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    You miss out on Military Service? Probably the most patriotic thing I have ever done.
    I turned 18 in 1976, just had ended the draft a few years earlier and the Military was not popular a that time. I was not big on uniforms, I did not join the Boy Scouts after Cub Scouts.

Tim

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I salute folks all the time, Active Duty, Vets, Friends and those who do me a favor, have done it for years, 50 in fact.

And here is a Salute to all those here who I respect!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Vendor Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    dtknowles, +1

I turned 18 in 1973. To say that military service was not a popular option would be the understatement of a millennia. We all grew up watching the Viet Nam war on the nightly news. After the draft was halted the only people who enlisted were in trouble with the law! Not real good company. Since Reagan the military is a whole new game and a terrific opportunity for those who make the cut. Going in because you are good enough and have something to offer is a whole lot different than enlisting to stay out of jail. What a difference a good President can make.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
    We have a few members who would prefer to curtsey (I'm talking about the ladies not you dudes that shoot 9mm).

Thanks for the laugh. I'm gonna post this at the police range portion of the gun club, maybe I'll find more .45 brass instead of 9mm.

Boolit Grand Master

I was 1A draft #2! I was in Northern Virginia Community College and hied over to Georgetown Univ. to join their ROTC unit. Did two years in one, in the spring of that year Congress ended the draft. I walked even though I had and have great respect for the first Sgt. of the program at that time. This was the time in history when officers were getting fraged by their own men in their bunks. Drug abuse was rampant in the USArmy. It was not a place I had any desire to join. A lot has changed since then. The Army worked hard to reform itself, and succeeded. It wasn't just Regan, he inherited an Army that was getting back on it's feet.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    dtknowles, +1

I turned 18 in 1973. To say that military service was not a popular option would be the understatement of a millennia. We all grew up watching the Viet Nam war on the nightly news. After the draft was halted the only people who enlisted were in trouble with the law! Not real good company. Since Reagan the military is a whole new game and a terrific opportunity for those who make the cut. Going in because you are good enough and have something to offer is a whole lot different than enlisting to stay out of jail.
    Though I think I understand the spirit of what you have said, I still take great exception to it. I served from 1973-1979, during that time I did not cross paths with a single person who enlisted because they were in trouble with the law. On behalf of very veteran who served their country honorably, on this site or not, you have spoken out of turn and offended 10's of thousands. I don't know if you served or not, but if you did not along with Wayne Smith, since you have not 'been there & done that or gotten the t-shirt' please preface your posts with "I suspect, I've heard' or something else to let the readers know you are not speaking from experience or knowledge.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Buddy
    +1

Served 1970-1994, active and reserve, volunteered for SEA; not because I was on my way to jail.

wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Master

Please, not another whizzing match over who served and who didn't and who's more patriotic, etc. It diminishes us all.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Master
    I will admit, I made what could be considered the "Popular Choice" of the time. The space program's recruiting was way more convincing than the AirForce recruiting. You could say it was even a little politically correct. I was young, I believe I made the right choice but I do wonder how independent was my decision. Some times we get played but that does not mean we were taken.

Tim

Boolit Master

I am like our flag, I will bow to no one.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Lots of people have forgotten how to bow to a lady, or tip a hat.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy

Air Force 73 - 77, volunteered, not to avoid jail.

Have Fun,

JCherry

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe I should just remove the post.

Moderator Emeritus

If I curtsey who is picking me up off the floor after my low back pops? no bowing either, when I do it feels like my head might fall off!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast