Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 35 XCB bullet mold design.

Boolit Master
    Tim,
    What twist rate are you using in your 35XCB?

Boolit Grand Master

I'm going with 14 twist. That will put the potential RPMTH of this bullet at 2700FPS, which is barely what the cartridge is capable of launching a cast bullet to. I hope to achieve 2650fps, sub MOA, with linear dispersion out to 300-400 meters. It remains to be seen if that is possible.
    I may end up pushing the chamber a touch deeper to keep burning powders that give a good launch, but with any luck, the cartridge will deliver my goals on a silver platter with a caviar garnish.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been hearing whispers about this boolit for months, in my mind it makes more sense than a 30 caliber project because I try to justify all my rifle projects as hunting rifles. I think my JES rebored 35 Whelen will be a good test bed for this round but I've been the nut behind the butt when velocities approached 2400 with some of my present boolits. Haven't checked to see what this boolit weighs but I'm thinking I may need a second PAST pad, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, never seen a GB move like this one. Better move fast, Swede's ordering the tooling.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Wow, never seen a GB move like this one. Better move fast, Swede's ordering the tooling.
    Yep, looks like quite a few have had this one on their minds. It is a fine looking boolit for sure. Can't wait to try it out in "ol contrary"!!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Yep, looks like quite a few have had this one on their minds. It is a fine looking boolit for sure. Can't wait to try it out in "ol contrary"!!
    I love that name!
    Please expound on "ol contrary".

Banned

well she's at work right now.....but.

Boolit Master

I wonder if this could be opened up a bit for the 9.3 crowd. Well not a crowd, but there are a few of us.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

Sure wish I could quit ordering moulds and buying leverguns, need to save my nickels & dimes so I can send a certain rifle off to a certain 'smith, lol.
    I think this boolit will do nicely in Ellie (formerly Ol' Ugly) when I decide to play the high velocity game. Don't think it will be as good a hunting boolit as the RD GB but it could be a fun project. May be about done with that hunting boolit project soon, will know in the morning.

Boolit Grand Master

Sure wish I could quit ordering moulds and buying leverguns, need to save my nickels & dimes so I can send a certain rifle off to a certain 'smith, lol.
    I think this boolit will do nicely in Ellie (formerly Ol' Ugly) when I decide to play the high velocity game. Don't think it will be as good a hunting boolit as the RD GB but it could be a fun project. May be about done with that hunting boolit project soon, will know in the morning.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    I wonder if this could be opened up a bit for the 9.3 crowd. Well not a crowd, but there are a few of us.
    Send Al a message and ask him. He might be able to do something for you seeing as how the two calibers are so similar. We're only talking ten thousandths of an inch after all, and I would warrant it would do quite well in the 9.3's. The GC shank is the big question.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I love that name!
    Please expound on "ol contrary".
    Lol "ol contrary" is a TC Encore and earned it's name at the range working up cast loads.
    Jacketed bullet loads were a breeze to work up with this rifle...cast not so much.
    Once a cast load is found however, she'll repeat day in day out...move 1 gr. of powder up or down however and it may show you a shotgun pattern instead of a group.

It's actually one of the most accurate mid bore or larger rifles i've ever owned.
    Lol it will be a good one to test the xcb in because if it likes it that will be a good testament to the boolit design. If it doesn't like it right off it won't mean a thing except "ol contrary" living up to it's name as to working up a cast load and no reflection on the boolit at all.

Seriously though from all the test results of the 30 xcb boolit, i expect the 35xcb to drive a nail in this rifle without jumping through too many hoops to get there.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 shooter View Post
    Lol "ol contrary" is a TC Encore and earned it's name at the range working up cast loads.
    Jacketed bullet loads were a breeze to work up with this rifle...cast not so much.
    Once a cast load is found however, she'll repeat day in day out...move 1 gr. of powder up or down however and it may show you a shotgun pattern instead of a group.

It's actually one of the most accurate mid bore or larger rifles i've ever owned.
    Lol it will be a good one to test the xcb in because if it likes it that will be a good testament to the boolit design. If it doesn't like it right off it won't mean a thing except "ol contrary" living up to it's name as to working up a cast load and no reflection on the boolit at all.

Seriously though from all the test results of the 30 xcb boolit, i expect the 35xcb to drive a nail in this rifle without jumping through too many hoops to get there.
    I would certainly think so. Please keep me posted.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking forward to the new XCB boolit, pretty much wound up load development with the RD 360-230 yesterday and I think I have a rifle that just may show us a thing or two about this 35XCB. Ol' Ugly was an honest MOA sporter rifle in 30-06, now in 35 Whelen she appears to be again. If I can get thru a ten shot string without getting smacked I'll have a baseline to compare to the XCB. I'll have to work on my shooting technique a bit, a 230gr boolit at about 2200fps can be a handful for me. Not sure how fast my shoulder will let me go, lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Send Al a message and ask him. He might be able to do something for you seeing as how the two calibers are so similar. We're only talking ten thousandths of an inch after all, and I would warrant it would do quite well in the 9.3's. The GC shank is the big question.
    I think I'll do just that.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Looking forward to the new XCB boolit, pretty much wound up load development with the RD 360-230 yesterday and I think I have a rifle that just may show us a thing or two about this 35XCB. Ol' Ugly was an honest MOA sporter rifle in 30-06, now in 35 Whelen she appears to be again. If I can get thru a ten shot string without getting smacked I'll have a baseline to compare to the XCB. I'll have to work on my shooting technique a bit, a 230gr boolit at about 2200fps can be a handful for me. Not sure how fast my shoulder will let me go, lol.
    Elly Mae (alias ol ugly) has sure been struting with that 230 gr. boolit lately, bet she smokes that new 35xcb.
    Hopefully my "Ol Contrary" will follow suit without too much hassle.

Darn, I can't pass this one up - it looks like a go to for long range in 357 max thru 358 wcf and I might just have to bring back my dream of 35 Whelen-Browne Barrel.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master

Wow. Al's going to have a pretty big run if this goes till the 24th!
    Thanks to everybody for helping me get this going!

Boolit Grand Master

Al just posted last call with a date of May 24. Not sure what that means but if you're interested he's known to move pretty fast.

Boolit Grand Master

It might be a little while out yet. Al doesn't run the molds till the cherry is perfect. It took three tries to get the 30XCB cherry to cut the perfect cavity, and all the time Al spent making sure it was perfect paid off in spades.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast