RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners Load Data
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 35 XCB bullet mold design.

Made in U.S.A.
    Lever-man

Sorry backed up on e-mails -
    New machine coming and shop is up-side down trying to get ready for it.

Go to our forum:
    http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php
    Scrawl down to the "Closed Group Buys"
    Click on "360-228-FN (35XCB)" and Scrawl to the last page.

Click on "Reply" and post what you want.

I hope this helps
    Bullet maker, maker
    Swede Nelson
    The expectation of evil is more bitter than the suffering -OR-
    More people die from worrying about getting ate by a bear then get ate by a bear.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    I just have to ask that after all of your boolit design work was the boat tale type of design considered?
    I very well may apply my focus to a boat tail cast bullet design someday, but there are several definite issues with it (like inertial torsion on the tail as well as the nose of the bullet).
    Not only that, but most bullet designs ignor basic design characteristics that I have identified as being critical to good performance. It seems the science is nearly always overtaken by art at some point in bullet design.
    When designing the XCB bullets, I was focused completely on making the most balanced and ideal bullet based on what I know works well, regardless of what it looks like, with a focus on extremely high velocity shooting.

For instance, there is only one weight of XCB bullet for each caliber I have/will design because it absolutely MUST be that length, size, and shape in order to work properly and give the bullet the best internal/external ballistic performance (in my opinion that is).

These are the first bullets I have seen that really do everything right, and I believe that any deviation from this ideal design will reflect badly on groups at high velocities.
    Last edited by MBTcustom; 05-14-2015 at 11:44 AM.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Yes it did, thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    When designing the XCB bullets, I was focused completely on making the most balanced and ideal bullet based on what I know works well, regardless of what it looks like, with a focus on extremely high velocity shooting.

For instance, there is only one weight of XCB bullet for each caliber I have/will design because it absolutely MUST be that length, size, and shape in order to work properly and give the bullet the best internal/external ballistic performance (in my opinion that is).

These are the first bullets I have seen that really do everything right, and I believe that any deviation from this ideal design will reflect badly on groups at high velocities.[/QUOTE]
    Hi Tim,
    Have you thought about designing a .28 XCB for the 7mm-08 I have just started reloading for this cartridge and am quite impressed with it, I have the RCBS 145 Sil mould, with 15 grains of 2400 it is showing a lot of promise at 17 grains groups open up, a boolit of the XCB design would be a boon
    for us 7mm shooters trying to get a little more speed out of them,
    Robert.

Boolit Grand Master

I am thinking very hard about building a 6.5 or 7mm XCB.
    The issue I have encountered is the twist rate options for those calibers. I have spoken to the barrel makers, and a barrel in that caliber with a slow twist is a totally custom order situation (read expensive).
    However, I can easily get a 7mm barrel in 12 twist, which would give me a good 2350FPS before the groups "open up" as you say. Definitely a step up from the 9.5 twist common to the 7mm-08, but still not really what I would consider "high velocity with accuracy".
    Im studying on it though.

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I am thinking very hard about building a 6.5 or 7mm XCB.
    The issue I have encountered is the twist rate options for those calibers. I have spoken to the barrel makers, and a barrel in that caliber with a slow twist is a totally custom order situation (read expensive).
    However, I can easily get a 7mm barrel in 12 twist, which would give me a good 2350FPS before the groups "open up" as you say. Definitely a step up from the 9.5 twist common to the 7mm-08, but still not really what I would consider "high velocity with accuracy".
    Im studying on it though.
    As the old saying goes Speed Costs Money. How fast do you wish to go.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Buddy
    Im studying on it though.[/QUOTE]
    The slowest twist available locally is 10", most of the 7mm gunmen down here are long-range speed freaks, I'd like to find the limit of the 7mm-08 with
    the 9.5" standard barrel so far the accuracy is not bad and I learn something new each trip to the range, last trip I was hitting a 6" gong at 200 metres
    consistently the misses were down to pilot error, I think the 6.5 would be a lost cause at the present level of knowledge in cast boolits the weight would
    be down to about 110-120 grains, I have tried in a 6.5x55 with a 8" twist and the Lyman 266673 it is very hard to get to 1700fps the boolits are going side ways at 50 metres, a 7mmXCB is the best next option My goal is to shoot sub 3" groups at 200 metres, we have a 200 metre CF Silhouette shoot at the local range all the targets are scaled for 200m, the need for speed is not that important but the more velocity I have is a bonus,
    Robert.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    The slowest twist available locally is 10", most of the 7mm gunmen down here are long-range speed freaks, I'd like to find the limit of the 7mm-08 with
    the 9.5" standard barrel so far the accuracy is not bad and I learn something new each trip to the range, last trip I was hitting a 6" gong at 200 metres
    consistently the misses were down to pilot error, I think the 6.5 would be a lost cause at the present level of knowledge in cast boolits the weight would
    be down to about 110-120 grains, I have tried in a 6.5x55 with a 8" twist and the Lyman 266673 it is very hard to get to 1700fps the boolits are going side ways at 50 metres, a 7mmXCB is the best next option My goal is to shoot sub 3" groups at 200 metres, we have a 200 metre CF Silhouette shoot at the local range all the targets are scaled for 200m, the need for speed is not that important but the more velocity I have is a bonus,
    Robert.
    Then we are thinking along the same lines. If speed is not a requirement, then I think the 7mm-08 is a great option for a cast bullet cartridge (other than that short neck!). I believe a 7mm bullet design is on the horizon, with an emphasis on long range accuracy​ rather than just raw speed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Then we are thinking along the same lines. If speed is not a requirement, then I think the 7mm-08 is a great option for a cast bullet cartridge (other than that short neck!). I believe a 7mm bullet design is on the horizon, with an emphasis on long range accuracy​ rather than just raw speed.
    Goodsteel you're the man,
    I've got past the raw speed stage in my life, it's not all that necessary in most cases unless I go climb a mountain any deer I shoot will be under 200 metres most under 100m,
    The RCBS 7mm 145 Sil is quite a good fit in my 7mm-08 the gas check is at the proper place level with the base of the neck and the lube ring is inside the case, the nose section is what needs redesigning, the free-bore in mine is .220" as near as I can measure it, overall cartridge length is 2.718" which is close to the 2.715" in the Lyman cast bullet handbook the nose is engraved .200" by the rifling seating depth is sorted for the time being trying different powders is next on the list.
    Robert.

Boolit Grand Master
    Could use a 50XCB too. Would like to hit 2500fps with a 1-15" twist, if possible.

Anyone interested in donating some of those 35xcb boolits for a test in a .357 herret...I am itching to try a load work up with Lever and a heavy boolit <grin>

(by donation, I mean let me buy some off you of course)
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

How about a 224 / 225 xcb. Slow twist barrels are readily available for the 22 cal. Many people already have barrels and rifles ready to go. Mine would just need throating.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsnscrews View Post
    Anyone interested in donating some of those 35xcb boolits for a test in a .357 herret...I am itching to try a load work up with Lever and a heavy boolit <grin>

(by donation, I mean let me buy some off you of course)
    Less than a hand full of people have this mould right now so you may not get lucky till after the moulds are cut and sent out. But there is a chance.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

figured I would throw it out there and get it in line now since neck surgery ate all of my mould money for the next year or two.
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Yeah, well while you are foolin' about with 7mm's, don't forget the .338 XCB, because I'm your huckleberry!

Just say when!
    I don't have a dog in this fight (or a rifle chambered for this cartridge) but this idea has merit, IMHO. Might as well put a .375, .379 and .416 XCB on the drawing board as well, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    I'd buy a 6.5mm tomorrow if NOE made them. Pat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    I'd buy a 6.5mm tomorrow if NOE made them. Pat
    Start a thread on the NOE forum, you're not the only 6.5 fan around here.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

One at a time gents. I want to see how the 35XCB does across the board for a lot of shooters. If it's as successful as the 30XCB, then I will put together the .338 and possibly a .323 because I feel that those two are pretty much in the bag being that they are standing between the two pillars of 30 and 35.

I believe that bullets of these sizes are ideal for cast at HV. Any smaller or larger, and serious compromises start needing to be made. I feel confident that I can navigate those compromises effectively, but I need more data that the .323, .338. and the .358 will provide.
    Also, I am thinking very seriously about creating a 28XCB wildcat and working it into the main project. This will be a 7mm design. The reason being that it's easy to get slower twist barrels for this caliber, which is the main consideration when shooting HV.

Banned

you know I have been working on a case that holds about 38-40 grs of powder and is 7mm..
    kind of a little brother to the xcb case and might be pretty useful for the 6-7mm area.

Boolit Master
    If I was to offer an opinion on a 7mm XCB, I'd say that it already exists and is called 7x57 Mauser. A match grade chamber with a total neck OD of about .311, set up for an XCB bullet at .288, and a 14" twist barrel.

Hey Tim, I think we may have to call Shilen and PTG............

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast