Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A passel of woes!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I'm wondering what exactly they did to the Encore barrel? Maybe used a water based cleaner? Accurate says that's a no no... We've shot probably 10 lbs or more of the stuff in Carol's rifle and I've seen no rust. It did get a bit of white fuzz on that deep recessed crown once, but nothing as far as rust. Now if I can just figure out why it tends to throw patched bullets about 10 ft to the right of grease grooves...
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I won a can of 209 and a bottle of their special cleaner at one of the gong shoots a couple years ago and it is still unopened because of what I have read form others using it. I think it will stay unopened.

I just started doing it. Of course I'm relatively new to my 45/70. I'm using a bastard bullet....nothing to see here.....I just started this morning at another run if bullets p.p. I ran them through a .452 sizer, ran my patch just from copy paper and after wards I put a little lube on, let it dry a bit and run it through a .459 sizer than load. Being these are not meant to be my go to loads but more practice and understanding until I have the funds to buy the p.p. mold I'd be totally down to just load those. I don't have a lubrisizer and pan lubing than sizing it is a time consumer for me. I need to get better equipment but I'm making do. I'm not going to let p.p. Die out. I had my 4 yr old paper patching next to me and he actually rolled a good one. Yes, I made him wash his hands. I think this method will prove successful as I get a bit better. As far as accuracy, it shot ok. It was loaded with smokeless, these well be loaded with black. I'm not having the success rate with smokeless as I am with black powder.
    Last edited by MikeA; 05-04-2015 at 11:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    Mike one of the nice things about shooting PP bullets is that you need a lot less equipment.

I still remember the first time I got a bore diameter paper patched load to shoot properly. It was in my first .45-2-7/8 and I was having a tough go of it for a few weeks. A few of the guys here suggested a simple change to my load and it went from terrible to quite good.

Since then I mostly shoot PP bullets in guns with tight PP chambers, or breech seated in small calibers. But the .45-110's still shoot quite well and at long distances with nothing more than a lube cookie and a couple of veg wads. Shooting that way takes very little equipment once you have the right mold.

Chris.

Gunlaker, Is a lube cookie a must with paper patch? I can see the the benefit. With the molds I have, I'm paper patching a lee 459/405 flat point. It's lube grooves are very small.

Why are you patching a bullet that is already the right size for the bore?
    Most folks use patch a bullet up to bore diameter or just over, some do patch to groove diameter, but the one thing they all do have in common the bullet is well under bore or groove diameter before it has any paper wrapped around it.

Boolit Master
    No Mike it is not a necessity at all, but when using rifles with modern style chambers with bullets patched to bore diameter ( not groove ), it seems like an easy way to get a rifle to shoot well.

When my rifle was shooting so poorly, I think it was Dean Becker who casually suggested that a lube cookie would probably help. My first lube cookie group at 100m was sub-moa in the .45-110, and at 200m it was a little less than a minute and a half IIRC. That amount of vertical wouldn't float my boat anymore, but I sure was happy that day! I still havent tried Don's suggestion of a lubed felt wad in that rifle but might one day. Since that day I have changed very little with the load as it still works . Just a little more powder and harder bullet.

Chris.
    Last edited by Gunlaker; 05-05-2015 at 10:18 AM.

Chris there's lubed felt wads and then there's lubed felt wads... I'll bring along a package of the good ones , at Worland.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Don. I'd like to see what you are using.

Chris.

Don, just practice. No paper patch mold yet.
    Gun, thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12