WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Scoping my Ruger 77/357. Adjustable objective absolutely necessary?

Boolit Buddy

Scoping my Ruger 77/357. Adjustable objective absolutely necessary?

I enjoy range sessions with my Ruger 77/357 very very much. Right now it wears a Leupold Rifleman 2-7 and at 50 yards with home cast 125 grain slugs and Trail Boss powder I can shoot 3/4 inch groups. My eyes are aging though and I'd prefer more magnification. I'd also like to move out to 75 and 100 yards, and the 7 power isn't enough for me.
    Leupold sells a 4-12 power in the Rifleman series, but it does not have an adjustable objective. Is this really going to hurt me with 50 yard shots? There's no AO on my 2-7 either. Thanks. Don

Boolit Master
    You shouldn't need an so for that gun. I would also suggest the red field revolution (not revenge) 4 x12 accurange.

Boolit Grand Master
    What birch said. Redfield has a quality scope for a bit less money. At the ranges you are shooting at, I think you are OK.
    I shoot at 200 yards at a steel plate with a no frills vintage Weaver K4 4x. This is a jacketed bullet gun. I can hit the plate all day long from a rest.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy
    An online retailer currently has the 4-12 Leupold Rifleman and the Revolution Redfield at the same price with free shipping. Is there any real advantage to one over the other? Neither show an adjustable objective. Don.

Boolit Mold
    I wouldn't if 100 yards is your upper limit.

I looove my 77/44

Boolit Buddy
    I've not loved a rifle as much as I love this 77/357 since I was a teenager. I cast my own 125 grain slugs and with Trail Boss load rounds for about 6 cents each. And shoot 3/4 inch 50 yard groups to boot! What a hoot! I just wish I had better eyes. Don

I have been looking at a 77/44 for some time. When I finally get one it will wear a Bushnell TRS 25 Red Dot sight. $80-90.

The reason why is that that gun as well as your 77/357 are both 150 yard rifles and 200 only in an absolute emergency. They are not tack drivers by any stretch of the imagination.

These guns were meant to be light weight but powerful walking around guns, and at 3 oz the TRS25 doesn't add any weight to the gun. It remains a fast handling short rifle that gets on target quickly and the Red Dot makes it even faster. Add a decent Nylon sling and you've got a really nice all weather gun you'll want to carry a lot. It is one click above a .357 or .44 revolver, as far as carrying,,, but it is two or more clicks more powerful.

If you can see the target at those ranges with your naked eyes, or thru glasses, then you can hit it easily using a Red Dot Sight.

The Red Dot offers the fastest Target Acquisition of any sighting system available and the Bushnell TRS 25 is the best bang for your shooting buck out there. They are worth way more than they cost.

If you are shooting only groups off a rest at 50-100 yards then a Scope would probably be a better choice.

However for every other conceivable use of that gun the Red Dot is going to be far superior.

At $80-90 trying one would not cost you an arm and leg. However I can almost guarantee that you will be so impressed with one and how they make the gun feel in your hands that you won't be going back to a big clunky scope.

I have talked about these sights for short range guns extensively on this site. I have them on all my .223 Tactical Carbines and can easy hit a Man sized target out to 300 yards off a rest. At 200 yards I can hit an 8x10 steel plate every single time off a rest. It is just that easy. I also have one for my Ruger Scout rifle and mount it when shooting short range 3 gun comps. I can interchange it for a 3-9X Leupold for long range shooting like 300 + yards.

I am 65 and wear glasses full time. My eyes are as bad as just about everyone else's here.

I can't stress this enough,,, just try one. You can sell it for just about what you paid for it if you are unsatisfied.

I doubt you will be disappointed, I don't generally recommend stuff that sucks.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-30-2015 at 05:42 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned

I cant imagine needing more the 7x if the max range is a 100 yards. I shoot just as good groups with a rifle that has a 4x scope as I do a rifle with a 12x scope at a 100 yards. If not just as good, good enough that a 357 rifle isn't going to know the differnce

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-01-2015 at 09:40 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

Look up data on the scope you are considering, most rifle scopes are factory set for 100yd parallax but some are less than that.

Also, just because a scope doesn't feature adjustable objective doesn't mean it can't be adjusted without messing it up. Have seen some videos of how to do this and it works. If you find your 77 does best at 75 yards and opens up at 100 and want to set parallax at 75 from the default 100, chances are it can be done in an afternoon.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    I appreciate the thoughts. Some years ago I picked up a Simmons ATV 4.5-14 AO scope for a .22. I have thought of installing it on my 77/357 just to try. If it won't handle the recoil of my little rifle with my usual putterbutt loads I don't need it in my safe anyhow. It seems that every scope out there I think looks like a possibility and with a price tag I can afford has its detractors. Some folks say they'd buy a yacht if they won the lottery. Me? I'd buy a hand packed gallon of Baskin-Robbins ice cream without thinking about the price.....and buy an expensive scope for my 77/357 (grin). Don.