RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: hammer spring blackhawk

Boolit Bub

hammer spring blackhawk

i am looking at putting a wolf spring on my blackhawk hammer.
    i've chased springs around the basement before, what i am trying to find out is the trick to removing the hammer spring and installing the wolf spring,also is there a way to remove the strut assembly without taking the ruger apart? i've done it before and it only took three tries to reassemble it.
    your input will be deeply appreciated. dan

Boolit Master

Help Is At

Go over to cylindersmith.com and he has some threads that will help you.

Try rugerforum.com for information also.

The first few times you dis-assemble your ruger will be a bit frustrating, but you'll pick up the subtle (frustrating!) tricks you need to do and then it's relatively simple. I swapped out a bunch of grip frames from XR3-REDs to HUNTERS or DRAGOONS over the fall. There were some "serious bad words" said in the process! I always recommend sending the wife and kids out for the evening on the first try...LOL

If there's a way to remove the strut without dis-assembly, let me know too!

Straight forward but spring/strut assembly must come out of frame. Cock the hammer w/gripsm removed and no ammo in the revolver. Use the copper colored pin that came beneath the grips and stick into hole in strut, pull trigger and gently retard hammer holding it with your thumb. Now hold the top of the strut/spring assembly in smooth jaws in your vise and then push down on the U shaped spring retainer and carefully remove the pin and let the spring slowly return to full length. Remove it and reverse the process. Trying to replace the spring w/o a vise is asking for launched parts. Have fun.

Boolit Bub
    thank you for the info. now i guess i better install my vice. dan

Boolit Master
    I put a Super Blackhawk hammer in my old model Ruger Vaquero the other night. The 10 minute job took me about 2 hours. If it hadn't been for the "realguns" website I'd probably still be working on it. The guy on that site has detailed instructions and pictures in his archived articles showing disassembly/assembly.

Boolit Master

Iirc

BROWNELLS did have a tool to compress ruger main springs...for around $40. You might take a look and see if you can improvise a copy. I'd buy one, but then there would be even more unused junk in the "gun/reloading room."

BE CAREFUL....There's a lot of power in the compressed spring...use safety/shooting glasses when you de-compress or re-compress it!