MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please invent the universal powder measure stand!!!

Boolit Master

Please invent the universal powder measure stand!!!

I use three different powder measures on a regular and I swear they all require a different stand. The closest thing I've seen is there is a guy on ebay that makes a revolving stand to hold powder measures but it's just a plate with holes drilled for threaded versions. Yeah, I'm one of the Lee PPM lovers since it works so well for certain powders, but there are times I still use my Uniflow, and I swear I will never stop using my older orange Lyman #55. AND THEY ALL MOUNT DIFFERENT SO THEY NEED A DIFFERENT STAND!!!!!! AHHHHHHHH!!!!!! If someone could just design a stand that maybe has swappable brackets, a wide flange end that has several ways to mount different measures, or even like the revolving plate idea it would be great if you didn't need a dedicated stand for all of them. I know there are different plate mounts so you can swap out gear but that means you have all these plate mounts setting around instead of just the easy to tuck away powder measure. There has to be some inventive fellow here that could maybe even make a few bucks selling such a thing. I can't be the only one... Am I???
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Master
    Or you could just go Dillon 550 and have one powder measure for every thing.

Boolit Master

Sorry, but I didn't like it crunching through stick powders and I didn't like it leaking Bullseye all over the press. And then I tried some AA #5 and it was worse. Pass on the Dillon measure. I prefer the Hornady measure or the automated Uniflow over the Dillon. Actually I prefer pretty much anything over the Dillon. And I feel no need for a non auto indexing progressive press anyways.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Wonder if one could accomplish this with bushings? Outside threaded for stand, inside for each measure. Leave the bushing on the measure. Still have to store each measure but minus stand they don't take up much space.

I would take a single stand that had the room at the head to tap for a bushing but... Nothing I'm set up to attempt and I no longer work where there are tools for this sort of work but thought I would toss the idea out there. After all folks use bushings for dies.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I have a iron flat bar sticking out from a shelf on my bench for hanging these PMs. It puts them in a very convenient location. I just drilled a hole in the end of that bar for mounting the Lee Classic PM.

[IMG] [/IMG]

Boolit Grand Master

One can be fashioned easy enough from hardwood with simple wood working tools and a drill press. A base and upright at the desired hieght wanted. Either a groove cut or dowel inserted for a boss ( can be turned on end if a lathe is available. Then a bar or DIsck fasioned 1/2" -3/4" thhick and thread inserts installed or left flat for the clamps. I made a turret style from steel years ago the threads were fine, but the clamp style ( belding and Mull) slipped and rotated around on it no grip to the steel. A lock bolt in the middle and alighnment pin held everything where it needed to be. One could be made with a slot and seperate bars for each measure so they slid in and out locking with a simple single bolt and washer. With a slot they would even be adjustable for distance from stand.

Boolit Grand Master

Not a Lee hater here, but the problem with the Lee PPM is the "stand" is screwed to the back of the measure body. Using a "normal" stand where the measure spout goes through a portion of the stand won't work with the Lee..

I have a "strap of steel, 1/4" thick x 1 1/4" wide with a 15/16" hole in one end. The strap is bent into a "Z" shape approx. 8" high. I can use this for a stand for my C-H 502 and any other measure with a 7/8" mounting body...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Daboone, pretty much nailed that one! Why don't you do that? Looks like it works for him.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

I use the old-style RCBS stand, and it works with my Uniflow, Hornady, and I got a bushing for my #55, so it works with that too...
    "When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat." - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I think hornady may have a stand that uses their LNL bushings, if you can adapt your throwers to screw into 7/8x14 then you would have a quick change solution.

Boolit Master
    if you take a lyman/ or rcbs powder stand. take a piece of 1-1/4 in wide X 1/8 thick metal about 8in long. you can use the unibit to drill and put as many as 5 on one stand . I have 4 but I use the lyman 55s mostly and they don't need to be drilled can use the clamp on back .
    rest you just use a die lock nut on the bottom

Boolit Master
    Drill a hole in a 4x4 piece of wood.... Thats it. Or just drill a hole through a shelf.
    quite easy, not really a problem.

If you really need multiple powder measures in one place why not just make a turret Powder measure stand. Or just use a turret press to mount multiple powder measures on.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JesterGrin_1 View Post
    If you really need multiple powder measures in one place why not just make a turret Powder measure stand. Or just use a turret press to mount multiple powder measures on.
    Actually I found something like that one eBay that a guy makes. I'm tempted. I would still have to rig something to get the 55 on it though. It's made to hold the threaded powder measures like the Uniflow.

Banned

just drill holes in an 1/8" thick piece of steel and use lock nuts on top and bottom of the plate then screw it on a shelf behind your press.

you can slide every decent powder dump ever invented through the holes, and tighten the lock rings down.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    just drill holes in an 1/8" thick piece of steel and use lock nuts on top and bottom of the plate then screw it on a shelf behind your press.

you can slide every decent powder dump ever invented through the holes, and tighten the lock rings down.
    I guess Redding doesn't qualify as a decent powder dump? This style mount with two screws through the back. Hey, it's neither red or blue.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...powder-measure

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150402_203008458.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	138971
    Every time I'm about to do something, I think "Would an idiot do this?" and if he would, I do not do that thing

Boolit Master

I use my Lyman 55 on an RCBS stand. Use a couple washers and the nozzle nut on the bottom. Easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	139007I don't know if you can see through the clutter, but these are the ones I built with square stock and a 7/8-14 nut

Boolit Bub
    Sounds like you need this adapter for your #55
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176...powder-measure

Boolit Master
    I thought about the idea of using the stand from one of my Hornady powder measures which is just a bent flat bar with mounting bolt holes on one end and the 7/8" powder measure hole on the other end, with a flat plate with 7/8" holes to hold two of them, using one of them to hold the two plates together. But then that would require tearing it down each time I used the one clamping the plates together when I take it off to empty it. So now I am back to just mounting one at a time when I need it. But I like the idea of having my two powder measures always mounted so I can just sit down and use either one. One set up for rifle loads and one set up for pistol loads. but with either one easily removed without disturbing the other one for emptying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast