RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Best" 30-06 powder for hunting

Boolit Grand Master

"Best" 30-06 powder for hunting

Gonna start working up a hunting load for my 30-06 this summer. I bought a used Remington CDL and the wifey bought my a nice Leupold scope. I want to choose a powder that will yield highest velocity combined with accuracy and temperature insensitivity. I'll be launching a 165gr Nosler BT or Hornady equivalent. My first thought was Varget, but wanted everyone else's opinion especially with some of the newer powders out there.

Banned
    IMR 4064 or 4350 oldies but a good starting pointg

Boolit Master
    Temperature insensitivity in a 30-06 hunting round would not be a very high priority for me unless I was hunting very small varmints which I don't think you are with 165gr bullets.

I've always got good results with the old stand by's like Winchester 760 or IMR- 4350

Motor

4350 is a great powder for stuff like that. I use 4064 because I use it for all my other rifle rounds.

I've done well with 48.5 of Varget under 150g. jwerds. It's pretty mild, but has been effective out to 150-170 yds. YMMV.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master

IMR 4350. A wonderful powder that works in a whole lot of cartridges from 243 Winchester to 375 H&H. So versatile I buy it in 8 pound kegs.

Boolit Master
    With Sierra 165 gr. Game Kings, 56gr. of 4350. Do not use this load in a M1. Through the chrony 2725 fps in a Remington BDL with a 20".
    Chris

Moderator Emeritus

4350 or 4831 has worked for me with fall hunts ranging from 70F to -15F. I never chrono'd either at sub zero temps but killed game with both powders.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

H4350 slightly edges out IMR4350 in my Winchester M70's. Varget was my standard load for years but a few years ago a new SG arrived and a new load was necessary. Hornady's 165 SP (3040) is what I load for my j-word rifles, my brother won't buy hunting ammo as long as I'll load for him. The 180 SP (3070) is actually a bit better on paper in my SG M70.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

IMR4350 or 4831
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Banned
    an old timer told me 20+ years ago, " imr 4320 with 150gr bullets, don't matter which one. that'll drop him."
    i used it on three of my '06, my brothers, three of my friends, and my dad's.

Varget, the best most useful cartridge powder ever. It is usable in most of the rifle cartridges in the world.

Bulletpusher

God's Not Dead!

Archer's do it Standing Up!

Lo do they call to me. They bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla, where the brave may live forever.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Gonna start working up a hunting load for my 30-06 this summer. I bought a used Remington CDL and the wifey bought my a nice Leupold scope. I want to choose a powder that will yield highest velocity combined with accuracy and temperature insensitivity. I'll be launching a 165gr Nosler BT or Hornady equivalent. My first thought was Varget, but wanted everyone else's opinion especially with some of the newer powders out there.
    Back when I hunted with a 30-06, and that was a lot of years. I used 46 grains of IMR 4895. Never cronied it but would guess some where around 2700 FPS. But I didn't care because it was dead accurate and always got the job done.

IMR 4064 gets my vote, but I like to use my LEE powder measure over my RCBS when throwing charges due to it's grain size. A big plus is I can use it in everything from my .223 Rem all the way up to my .338 Win and 45/70. and data is easy to find.

IMR4831 for 165gr

Funny thing about odd six. The 168gr falls right between 4895 & 4350.
    I dont shoot that light of a round though my bolt gun, so its 4350.
    I shoot 147-155gr pills with 4895, it does the trick.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Buddy

4831 or 4350
    I shoot 165s & 180gr j-words in '06 and I load them all with H4350.
    Two really good friends of mine swear by 4831 with 150gr bullets. I've shot with them and have seen them get great results.
    4895- besides the two powders above, 4895 seems to be a great '06 powder among handloaders around here.

Boolit Master

The '06 is such a versatile round that a very broad range of powders will give good results. There have been many excellent recommendations given. If I had a new '06 and wanted to shoot a 165 grain jacketed bullet I would be hard pressed not to start with 57.0 grains of IMR-4350. I've always had good results with this load in several rifles and sometimes stellar results.
    Enjoy your new rifle,
    Rick

Boolit Master

For the last 20 years my my 06 has been the primary deer rifle, 168 grain win ballistic slivertip over H4350, a near max load and in my rifle tuned up by the folks at hill country rifle its death ray accurate.

Boolit Master

168 grain sp over 47 grain of 4895 never had anything to run away with this load
    For cast I used 42 grains of 4831 under a 200 grain gas checked boolit,tack driver at 75 yards.Never hunted or killed with this load but would think it would kill anything that I hunt under 200 yards.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast