Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your Meat Saver round?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by butch2570 View Post
    Wow, you must have had some real bad luck. Bears, bucks, does ,yotes all dropped within sight, when I do my part.
    I don't have bad luck w/ broadheads. Red dots on crossbows that won't hold zero are another story. Thankfully I didn't wound any deer because of that horrible optic.

W/ parts that move it's not a matter of if they will break. It's a matter of when they will break. I don't like taking that chance when hunting. Everyone is entitled to use whatever they want as long as it's legal in your state. I just prefer simplicity w/ a lot of things in life. Guess it comes from my trade but the more complicated the equipment is the more it fails.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    22lr and a flashlight.
    +1 worked 30 years ago when we were young with kids.

Boolit Buddy
    45-70 with a 415 grain boolit powdercoated. 3/4" hole going in and 3/4" coming out!

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I don't have bad luck w/ broadheads. Red dots on crossbows that won't hold zero are another story. Thankfully I didn't wound any deer because of that horrible optic.

W/ parts that move it's not a matter of if they will break. It's a matter of when they will break. I don't like taking that chance when hunting. Everyone is entitled to use whatever they want as long as it's legal in your state. I just prefer simplicity w/ a lot of things in life. Guess it comes from my trade but the more complicated the equipment is the more it fails.
    Yeah they do occasionally break a blade , the end result is still the same so far. I've broken blades on Rocky Mtn Razor,Wasp Cam Lok, and Thunderheads also (all fixed blade) , it happens. Never broke a Bear razor or a Zwickey Eskimo however. I admire your determination to cleanly take your animal though. Simpler is usually better I admit.

Boolit Master
    any bullet head shot .......... meat saved.....

Boolit Master

100 gr slick trick broadhead works great. Flies like a field point to 50 yds out of my bow. Deer shot with a bow taste better in my opinion, but I like deer regardless.

300 blackout 155 gr lee @1800 fps doesn't make much mess Either.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Moderator Emeritus

If you have seen deer starve to death with a broken jaw, it isn't pretty. I usually consider a head shot a fools game at the best of times. I have done so but much prefer a break the off shoulder shot.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Have a little patience, pick your shot and the bullet doesn't matter much. This was a CB Short.

I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master
    if a meat saver is a get it done cartridge
    for me it the 45-70 with a 425 gr 25-1 Accurate Molds Boolit for my normal meat hunts
    however if I get to go out of state where the shots will be longer than my normal woods range
    I would take my 3 groove model 70 win.in 280 Ackley Improved
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    Have a little patience, pick your shot and the bullet doesn't matter much. This was a CB Short.

I won't take that shot anymore unless I can do it with a downward angle...but I don't like to let them get that close. I've bounced more than one boolit off that very spot.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I killed 3 hogs only 1 ran any distance and he was already all juiced up when I shot . I served the rib that got clipped on 1 and the trenches exit wounded ham . Really we ate the bullet hole . 45 Colts 452-252 SWC over 8.0 Unique 1000 fps from a 16" carbine.

Now the 200gr pp self spire point just made an exit mess on the off shoulder at 2400 fps ,silver dollar hole in the hide baseball cavity in front of the shoulder and rib chips almost into the neck but very dead ,just 1 bound saved me about 80ft up the hill .

I still have about 18 Bear Magnum w/bleeders maybe 1 of these days I'll get back to it . 125 gr points on a 32" cedar shaft totaling 425gr from a 48# Bear Grizzly 58" and a 30" draw .......29 ftlb 1.25 inches tall 1 inch wide . Dad killed 2 Ca deer and 5-6 in Utah with it ,I shot a few ducks and a goose with it .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    shoot it in the neck and it doesn't make much difference what you use. Shooting something thru the shoulders is just a waste of meat.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I shot a feral cat through the neck one time ,managed to miss everything except I guess esophagus , found it 4 days later .....
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123