Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: more magnification?

Boolit Master

more magnification?

i been getting great hits with my 20x scoped t/c
    but i can just barely see hits at 300 meters
    problem is i CANNOT buy another expensive scope
    i liked the mueller 24x i had and am thinking of the 36x target one they offer.
    unless i find a screaming deal on a weaver t36
    it is looking like my only option at this point.
    the nice thing about variables is i can crank it down if mirages get too bad

Boolit Master
    The trouble is even a high end scope like a Kowa with the fluorite lens cannot resolve detail when there is too much mirage. With a small caliber like 223 holes in the black can be very hard to see especially if the target face is in the shadows (sun from the sides or behind the target) so this is what I bought and used it for the first time yesterday and it worked great.

http://www.bullseyecamera.com/

Boolit Grand Master

Magnafication on a scope is a double edged propisition. It makes it easier to see the target and hits ( sometimes) and also magnifies mirage and shakes heart beat and such. For years I used a 6.5-20 lepould long range target for any sight matches at 1000 yds alot of days due to light and mirage I was around 16-18X. I dint try to spot with the rifle scope but used the kowa beside me. If you want to just spot holes and impacts I picked up a pair of 25X x 100mm celestron binoculars for spotting in shillouette matches. Much easier to use on the tri pod, less eye fatigue as both eyes are working together in the same plane, At longer ranges 300 + with the BPCR rounds you can see the trace of bullet and splatter bounce of the shillouette in them. Better field of view with them over some spotting scopes also. The weaver t series are good never had muller to know. The high magnification scopes will bring much more money.

You will find that high power doesn't really help much in long range - It's better if your doing target shooting at shorter ranges (300 or less) but 1000 yds you do better with 20-25 power range. And for long distance the Target Camera Rules - the Bullseye system Doc Highwall is using is the best I have seen so far and you can find them for under $600 if you do search the web, and it's quicker to set up than my homemade one.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."