Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Trigger Job on a Marlin 1894 CL

Boolit Master

Trigger Job on a Marlin 1894 CL

I recently got the above rifle and the trigger pulls at over 7#.
    What is the best method to get this trigger down to at least 3-4 lbs?.....dale

Boolit Grand Master

The best would be to install a Wild West Happy Trigger. If you want to smith it yourself, good information here:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/basic-triggers/
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Unless you are all thumbs and have the mechanical aptitude of an imbecile, save your money on an "un" Happy Trigger and follow imashooter's link to an easy to do smithing job. Firstime out, it will take about an hour. Do a little and try it; if still not good, do some more.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Bub
    I have three Marlins (2 models 1894 and 1 mod 1895) and all of them have the Wild West Trigger on them. The different is AMAZING!!

Boolit Master
    Marlin lever action spring kit from Brownell's. Simple to install and makes everything run easier. A little judicial smoothing of some surfaces helps, too. Inexpensive and easy.

I recently bought an older Marlin and decided to do my own trigger job. I followed the advise from the marlin forums. Great advise and some really instructions to follow. I ended up with a nice 3# trigger!! You may need to find a disassemble instructions as well. But, there's plenty of instructions on the Marlins forum.

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/ba...gger-pull.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Unless you are all thumbs and have the mechanical aptitude of an imbecile, save your money on an "un" Happy Trigger and follow imashooter's link to an easy to do smithing job. Firstime out, it will take about an hour. Do a little and try it; if still not good, do some more.
    Exactly. There is another simple (and free) trick to reduce sear contact and totally eliminate creep, but you shouldn't need it if you only require a 4 pound pull. You do not need any extra parts or weaker springs. My brother and I have done probably close to a dozen Marlins. I set all mine to 2.5 pounds. A fellow by the name of MarlinJunky gave me the instructions, they may be floating out there on the web somewhere. He shoots lever competition with one set to not much over a pound, and it has remained safe for years.