Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: Broad Axe "HICKORY", Kelley-How-Thomson Co, Deluth, Minn.

Broad Axe "HICKORY", Kelley-How-Thomson Co, Deluth, Minn.

Not exactly sure where this fits on the forum but am hoping someone has some idea of the value of this item. It is a broad axe with single bevel edge on about a 20 inch straight handle. I know the company Kelley-How-Thompson was big back in the late 1800's early 1900's.

Have seen a few of these listed online with prices that are all over the place. None was specifically a single bevel edge broad axe. Was thinking with all the outdoors oriented folks on the forum maybe someone collects axes or has some more information on it's value.

Being a single bevel it really designed for hewing a log flat and true. Not something one does much any more but I do think it is rather neat. If nothing else it is a good solid American made axe.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    I have no experience with that brand but for a broad axe that is in good shape I'll generally pay $40-50 or so. I usually prefer those with offset handles. They are a tool that isn't used that often anymore but when you need one they are magic. Is yours a lefty or righty?

Eric

Thanks for the information, Flat on the left side when viewed from the butt (poll). Decent shape but the flat side has been sharpened a little bit incorrectly at some point. Someone put an angle to the edge on the flat side, Not as pronounced as a grinder would have done but not the proper flat true edge running down that side. I have yet to decide where in my world of projects truing that edge up with a file fits.

Piece of logging history you can hold in your hand if nothing else. A vendor that sells axes at a gun show I took it to said worth about $50 maybe a bit more due to its age, but only with the flat edge true otherwise he couldn't sell it because his customers are buying tools they will use and the tools have to be right. As a sort of a side note, back in high school a girl friends older brother used broad axe and adze to make rustic fireplace beams. He had to "make mistakes" otherwise they looked machine made to his customers. In skilled hands these axes can do some amazing things.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Buddy
    The level of precision and finish attainable with hand tools is often amazing to folks that don't use them. About the only time I use mine anymore are for keel timbers but in the past I did a lot repairs to log structures where they are invaluable. Shame somebody chose to ruin the edge on yours.
    As a side note there used to be an old fella in Maine who built skiffs in a tiny little shop with few to no electric tools, his favorite tool was a small broadaxe/hatchet and I think he used it for about 90% of the wood shaping on his boats.

Eric

I don't think the edge is beyond repair. Or at least I'm hoping between a file and course stone I can get it true or at least pretty close. I have done some square log work in years past but I sort of cheated. I use a bow saw to cut to a true line then axe to trim between the cuts. Good enough to make benches for around the fire pit and the occasional camping shelter but you probably would not want to be on a boat I made or try to stay warm in a log cabin I built in the north country winter.

Boolit Buddy
    I hope you are able to fix it and get the old thing back to work! Also, doing good work by whatever means you have isn't cheating in my book.

Eric