RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Share something that you remember.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Remember the tin cars, trucks, & airplanes made in Japan from beer cans with the beer label and printing on the inside of the toy.

Likely part of the reconstruction effort.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullwolf View Post
    I remember 45RPM records.

Along with the plastic and metal inserts that you had to put in the middle to make them fit in a full size record player.

There's probably a bunch of other esoteric items just like this, that the cell phone generation won't know the original purpose of anymore... At some point in the future.

- Bullwolf
    You'd be wrong there. I not only knew what those were, I have used them. I like old records. They have a sound that CDs just can't duplicate.

Boolit Master
    I can remember the joy of growing up and an working very hard mowing grass and helping my dad roof a house .I saved all my money buy a .30/40 Krag rifle.. It was $60..
    It is a fantastic rifle and I still have it today..
    I also remember buy an old yellow handle knife at the local hardware store for $1.25 It was a treasure to me.. I also remember buying .22 shorts to go in my model 62 win rifle..

Boolit Master

Share something that you remember.

I remember a lot of things, both good and bad.
    And if you are talking about remembering, you probably are referring to the past, as in our youth.
    So, I'll pick something good. Something that gave me great satisfaction and pleasure.
    When I was in my teens, I found a great way to sort out my problems, and every teen is in a flux when his or her body is changing from a child to an adult, I remember walking to the woods and laying on the creek bank seeking solace, wisdom and understanding. Spring was always the best time, soaking up the sun's heat on a cool afternoon. Putting in order the things that seemed so confusing at the time. Things, that as I look back, were of no account, but mattered a lot then.

Hunting was also a great time to be in the woods, to not only solve my own problems but those of the world too.
    But, no matter how hard I tired sidestep my problems I still entered adulthood a mixed-up kid in a world of hippies, drinking, fighting, fast cars and women.
    It was a time that I learned of life . . . and death. Love and hate. The goodness of mankind and it's evil.
    These things I remember. And somethings should never be brought to remembrance.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I was just a mere boy of 10 or so and went with dad to hunt squirrels. I carried his Remington 552 autoloader. We didn't get but one squirrel , but I asked dad to show me how he could shoot. He busted 4 Hickory nuts in the tree in about 10 seconds. It was the only time I seen him shoot when he wasn't hunting. He never wasted anything all his life. I read his service record after he died. He shot expert with M1 Garand, M1 carbine, and 45 auto. I miss you, Dad....(Since 1980)

Moderator Emeritus

Burned into memory... space shuttle Challenger explosion and all the people gathered in my store crying, Twin Towers the same thing, people would just start crying for no reason... bad memories but also landmark memories for this country.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Burned into memory... space shuttle Challenger explosion and all the people gathered in my store crying, Twin Towers the same thing, people would just start crying for no reason... bad memories but also landmark memories for this country.
    I remember 9/11. I was pretty young at the time, but those images are still clear as day. I remember Columbia burning up on reentry.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by edler7 View Post
    I can remember picking up the phone to make a call and an operator answered. You had to tell the operator the number you wanted to call. The phone had a dial, but the town exchange still used operators. All the phone numbers were 3 digits.
    You've got a few years on me. I've got some black and white photos of the man who raised me that show a 4 digit telephone number.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Buddy
    I remember most of these things but then I'm old enough to remember when the Kennedy's drowned their women one at a time.... My paper route paid for my first car ( a '51 Chevrolet) which turned into my first real job at 14 yrs old (bootlegging) before I worked in gas stations. Once I got my commercial license I started driving trucks... freight, grocery, gasoline, and ice. Delivered ice for one summer and some of it went to the old 'iceboxes' of elderly individuals. Bought 22lr's for a penny apiece, shotgun shells at a dime... Cokes for a nickel... Here's one for Char-Gar-- fajitas for 49cents/lb back before the gringos found out about 'em. Driving the grocery truck I delivered everything from baling wire to dynamite to little country stores in southern Oklahoma. A LOT of those trucks didn't have synchronizers... just old crash boxes... so you had to double clutch every shift. An old driver worked for my father that had been a true teamster... had hauled oilfield pipe with teams of mules... drove trucks since they were chain drive. He was 70-something when I was in my teens and scared the **** out of me. Still have about a case of 1950's .410 paper hull shotgun shells... I occasionally take a few out to shoot just to smell them... and I'm 6 yrs old and dove hunting with my father again... Olfactory response is real strong. Yeah, I remember all of this and more...

Boolit Master
    We had family pic nics on the Hams Fork. There must have been 40 of them there. Now it is Lake Viva Naughten, & I am lucky to find 20 all across the country.
    Grand pa whittled me a Willow stick into a whistle
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    I remember this

At 77 there are many things that come to mind but a couple of things are the glass milk bottles in the milk box on the back porch and when it was really cold the milk would freeze and "grow a neck" up and out of the bottle with the little paper cap perched atop the "long neck"

One of my very favorite things was on Sunday evenings my Grandparents would take me to Stapleton Airport in Denver (this was in the 40's) and we would sit on "airport hill" and wait for an airplane to come in and land...mostly twin engine planes like the DC-3's and the twin tail craft that flew all around the area in those days (think they were Beechcrafts)...just felt really good to sit in the back seat and wait in the dark and then Grandad would say "here comes one" and we'd all watch it land..My Grandad was my hero..loved Dad but Grandad was the special man in my life..he taught me to fish...he taught me to ride a horse (wouldn't let me use a saddle for several years so I'd get the feel of the horse) and generally was my buddy...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0014.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	138160

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image0016.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	138161
    Last edited by opos; 04-28-2015 at 10:35 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

You fellows make me feel old. Do any of you remember the flat iron that my Mom heated on the wood stove, to iron for other rich folks?
    How about fresh churned butter, pressed into a wooden mold, or fresh warm butter milk?
    My Dad did building and remodeling, and I straightened the salvaged nails, after cleaning up the used lumber.
    How about the Sat morning ritual of getting chores done for a quarter, that got you 3 hr at the movie for .07 and a hotdog/drink for a dime. If I didn't squander for a .03 candy bar or pop corn, I brought home a nickel and 3 pennies for the piggy bank.
    Any one else cranked a car or tractor with that hand crank, that would often kick back?
    I remember when $4. worth of gas would last all week till next payday.
    This past Sat I attended the 100th birthday of my only remaining Aunt. I bet she could tell us about things we never saw.
    Another Aunt that died in 94 at 104, said "I'm not old, I've just been here a long time."
    Last edited by mold maker; 04-28-2015 at 12:50 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I remember when there were no cell phones.

Boolit Grand Master

Mold Maker, you learned real fast not to wrap that opld crank with your thumb just cup it so when it kiced it jumped out of you hand. Some of those old motors would break your thumb when they kicked back. We had a 400 international the crank was high enough to hit you in the head Dad cut that old crank into pieces afraid it would kick and break a head. Remember the old John Deeres with pit cocks on each cylinder and pulling the flywheel on the side to start them also

I remember my Great Grandparents in Wayne Co. MO getting electric in their home , that was the early 1950's

Boolit Grand Master

Mail ordering A Walther P-38 from Kleins Sporting Goods and having the mail man bring it to the house. I tried to talk my Dad into ordering a P-08 Luger but he said the P-38 was better.
    In fact, he ordered two, one for himself and one for a friend . When he placed the gun order he also ordered several hundred rounds of WWII surplus ball ammo, it was dirt cheap back then!
    I still have the P-38 and 4 boxes of the ammo....them days are gone!

Will our grandkids beleive us when we tell them , back in the day you could buy all the 22 ammo you wanted...on sale...In BULK PACKS!!!! I'm keeping a bulk pack for proof! Yesterday I was allowed to buy 2 - 50 round boxes, no more...the limit!

Gary

Boolit Buddy

MaryB, the Challenger Disaster will forever be burned into my memory also. I saw it on a TV in a Mini-Mart in Wasco, I was stopping for a cup of coffee while on patrol. My next youngest and undoubtedly closet Brother, died in a MVA the next day ....

And country gent, I remember my Paternal Grandfather bleeding those pit cocks on an OLD John Deere. He was 68 at the time, he and my Grandmother lived as caretakers on a farm in Zwingle, IA. I had gone down there from my "A" School at Great Lakes NTC over the Thanksgiving holiday in 1972. I had gone down there thinking I was going to SEA the 1st of December, when I returned on Monday I had a new set of orders to a Pre-Comm DE in Newport, RI. Never did make to SEA before the War Games ended ....

And to the OP, Thank you so much for starting this thread. It makes me glad that my memory banks are wide open and at the same time makes me sad when I see how much has changed over my 61 trips around that big rock called the moon. I wish we could return to the simpler times .......
    Last edited by Mtnfolk75; 04-29-2015 at 11:13 PM.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    What do I remember?Pretty much all of the above.Remember purchasing 22lr for less than $5.00 out the door for a brick of 500.22WMR for about $1.00 a box of 50.The old Hodgens 4831 for $1.00 a pound in the old paper bags.Hehehe.Buy a 10lb case and got it for $9.00.
    The 150grn Sierra spitzer for appx $4.50 per 100.62grn Sierra semi pointed for $2.25 per 100.Loaded .223 Remington for $2.25 per 20 rds.
    Remember a sale on.22rf at .25cents a box.Bought a case.Remember the time spent with my Grandfather,which was all too short,showed me how he cast bullets for his 1ST gen Colt .45.My Father teaching me how to fish and shoot safely,along with all of the American Legion post members who also taught me how to shoot safely and with accuracy.Hard taskmasters all.WW1,WW2 and Korean war vets.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    Last edited by woodbutcher; 04-28-2015 at 04:34 PM.
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

I also remember buying 22 longs all the time. I thought they shot harder then the LR's did.