WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Share something that you remember.

Boolit Master
    Forget the Necco`s.Animal crackers work just as good.Plus,they make a little snack for the bugs and birds.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    I remember when I used to find piles of lead wheel weights at the end of freeway exit ramps.
    Yea me to people would give me the strangest look like what the heck is he picking up?

Boolit Buddy
    I'm relatively young, born in 78. Despite my relative youth, it's difficult to convey to my kids just how different life was those few decades ago. I remember:
    - rotary phones
    - no child seats in cars (not required yet, so we sure didn't have them)
    - walking 6 blocks to and from school, parents being gone when I got up and when I returned
    - helmets? elbow pads? don't remember those

A lot of what I remember revolves around how few safety measures there were and how little supervision my brothers and I had. Parents today wouldn't dream of giving their kids the kinds of freedoms that I enjoyed as a kid, in part because in many cases, the law would get involved, which is sad to say the least.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    As young as 11 or 12 I'd go to a friends 3-10 miles away on my bicycle. I probably wouldn't have let my kids do that in part because the hyways have changed so much . The 2 granddaughters I'm raising almost certainly won't get that chance.

There was a quarter coke machine not far down the road from me too.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I remember 5 cent Cokes at the gas station and walking home from elementary school the first time it snowed in Houston. I remember thinking how the whole world looked so different. Had never seen snow before.
    I remember getting in a fight at the wooden puzzle rack with Sammy and Danny Boone and had to face those twins after school at the buss and after the fight my mother made me go to their house and apologize and how we were friends after.
    I remember riding my first used bicycle to elementary and feeling the freedom from the buss how exhilarating that was. Or when you would walk somewhere and people would stop to give you a ride without sticking your thumb out.
    I remember spending all my summer vacations on a tiny island in the San Bernard River near the Gulf of Mexico with my Grandparents and how special and grown up I felt the first time Poppa James let me start using the skiff to go fishing by myself. How special I felt when I lucked out and brought home a load of Croakers and Drum.
    I remember the 'duck and cover' drills on Fridays at noon when the sirens would go off.
    I remember President Eisenhower talking on the Black and White.
    I remember how freaked out everyone was because of 'Sputnik'. Then President Kennedy saying that we would go to the Moon in 10 years.
    I remembered how everyone respected NASA back then.
    I remember my first job sacking groceries for 50 cents/hour and how rich I was when the minimum wage was upped to 75 cents and I got a check for 12 dollars for the difference.
    I remember making doll clothes for my 3 little sisters on my Great Grandmother Minnies foot pedaled Singer sewing machine and what a privilege that was to be allowed to use it.
    I remember looking up an older girls blouse as I skooted her up to catch the first branch in the tree and how carefully I stood there telling her just which branch to go to next. I remember how my face got hot when she looked down and tucked her blouse into her jeans.
    I remember the 'fogging truck' that came up and down all the streets to kill mosquitos. How the smoke would hang and spread out making everything look erie.
    I remember how loud the lightning was when it hit a tree across the street as we sat by an open window taking in the hurricanes approach.
    I remember pumping gas for 13.9 cents/gallon during gas wars and checking oil, tire pressure, wiping windows, how heavy those hoods were back then. A little later came the 'minnie skirts' and those pesky bug splats that took so much of my attention. The harder they were to scrub the more I liked them!
    I remember when the wall speaker in my speech class came on and started announcing the assignation of our beloved President Kennedy and how I recognized who some of the women were wailing in the front office in the background. How guilty all us Texans felt because it happened in our State. I remember watching Jack Ruby shoot Oswald on TV.
    I remember how special that Veterans were considered.
    I remember questioning my father about WWII and asking him if he ever saw anybody get shot. All I knew was that he drove a landing craft in the Pacific theatre…Dad would not speak to me about the war, never did, that pissed me off for years before I understood.
    I remember getting into High School and fast cars four on the floor with an 8 ball for a shifter, crazy stunts, pretty girls and the best music ever recorded, playing football and my first letter jacket.
    After that things start blurring as the older I get the faster life and time flies and the less memories I have to reflect on…lots of hurry up and wait or struggle over something or other…it just ain't the same anymore…I really miss those days.

Thanks to whoever started this thread and made me stop to remember…I think I'll do this more often now.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    I'll be turning 78 in just a few short months so I remember many of the things that others have already mentioned. However, as a retired anesthesiologist, I have a few memories that are likely to be fairly unique. Things like learning to give open drop ether anesthesia during my residency, something that hasn't been taught for nearly 40 years, and being thrilled to occasionally get to use the one mechanical ventilator available to our 10 operating room suite, freeing me from the necessity of manually ventilating the patient for the entire duration of operations that often went longer than 8 or more hours. Same with the one small ECG monitor, a tubular shaped machine that we called 'the bullet' that let you see one single ECG trace across its round 3" yellowish-green face. Anesthesia at that time was far more an Art as opposed to the Science it has evolved into over the past 40 years. Oh, and one other vivid memory, this one related to shooting, was being able to walk into the police station, ask for the key to the police rifle/pistol range and after signing your name, walk out with the key, unlock the gate leading to the watershed area and go shoot to your heart's content on the range that was just two blocks away from the last homes on our street. Today in that same town you have to join the one rifle/pistol club to use their ranges which are now several miles out of town and are still being investigated and sued by new homeowners who are far Left anti-gunners and anti-lead ammo enviros who want the ranges shut down. Fortunately, I'm FROM that town but no longer a resident and so I still have good memories of the 'good old days'.

sleeper1428

I remember every spring, my Dad would spray DDT around the foundation of our house. Worked great and no one got sick.

Boolit Master
    Ahh yes! DDT---I remember when that first appeared around where I grew up in Manitoba. My Dad thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread! That is he did until one of the team of horses he raised from colts and trained himself died from the stuff. See, what he did was mix up a solution of DDT and water, which he then wiped onto the horses with a rag to keep the mosquitoes off. I guess that particular horse had thinner skin or was more sensitive to the DDT for some reason. The thing is that Dad mixed and used that stuff without gloves or any kind of protection. We were just lucky that stuff only killed that horse!
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    I remember our Packard Bell B&W TV (screen was almost round).
    I remember mom's '49 Olds with the rope that hung across the back of the front seat.
    I remember buying 10 cent cokes from the machine behind the Standard station ("service station") and going back a half hour later to get 5 cents back for the bottle.
    I remember when you really could buy things in a dime store for a dime.
    I remember exactly where I was when it was announced that our President was dead. Unlike the schnook we have now, back then, even a Democrat President was still considered as "our President".
    I remember Jack Benny and Rochester, Lawrence Welk, Sing Along with Mitch.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

Wow! Lots of memories in all the posts. I remember a thousand things, at least, that once played significant roles in my life. My first recollection is being in the crib with Mom doing something with me, and hearing Dad come in the door with a lilt in his voide. He stuck his head around the door jam, and had a great big smile on his face, and that characteristic toothpick in his teeth, and he was wearing his Marine dress blues, with the white hat and stripe down the sides of the legs. I'd never seen him in his dress uniform before, and it must have made a big impression on me. That big grin of his was always his great hallmark.

I also remember when I was 3 or 4, we'd been out and Dad was in his civies, and on the way back home, we were on base when they played Taps. He stopped, as did everyone, and got out and stood at attention and put his Fedora over his heart as they took down the colors that evening. And as he opened the door to get back inside the car, I asked him why he always stopped and got out when they played "that music" and also why all those statues were on base. The questions caught him at a poignant moment, I guess, because they stopped him stock dead still in mid move to get in the car. I wasn't sure what I'd said or why he reacted as he did, but when he closed his door and opened the back door, I knew something - either good or bad - was about to happen. He squatted down so he was eye to eye level with me, and told me that he stopped and saluted as they took down the flag as a sign of respect and devotion to what that flag stood for. He told me that the red in that flag stood for the blood of the many, many men who'd fought and died to keep our nation and our little family safe and free, and so I and my brother wouldn't have to worry about someone coming and getting him or mom or us and taking us away, and so we could have 3 good meals on the table every day, and clothes to wear, and so we could make our own decisions in life without someone tellling us everything we had to do. He said the white in that flag stood for the purity and good will we always had in our intent and purposes, and the blue was for the fidelity and trust we had one for the other that we'd always be able to depend on each other in this country if and when enemies tried to overtake us and tell us what to do. Then he told me that those statues were put up there so that we would never forget the good men they stood for and represented, who mostly had died in getting and keeping our country and family as safe and secure and well provided for as one could want, and he said he hoped we'd all never forget those true heroes, some of them his friends, who'd lost their lives fighting to keep all the benefits and joys and privileges we had in our little place on the base. As he finished, I saw a couple of tears run down that old Marine's face, and I knew that I'd just been told something valuable, and that I'd never forget as long as I lived. I don't know how I knew it, but kids, I think, sense things like that. And to this day, I can still see Dad's face from over 60 years ago as he told me these things. it's a lecture and experience I will never forget, and hope I'll always honor.

So many things cited are endearing to me in so many ways, even the old privy out back when Dad first moved home, and discovered his old high school buddy was an alcoholic and had pretty well run down the whole farm. It cost him his life savings to that date, and he had to borrow some more money to get things like they should have been. Going to the old privy at age 7 in the winter was a little more adventure than I really wanted, but when those moments come when you need it, it was still appreciated. We got indoor plumbing pretty much the first thing, but one can never forget those old privys. I think it's where I got my fear of spiders?

I've often thought a good privy would make a good thing for a remote deer camp. It beats squatting on a cactus! Don't ask how I know about that one. I was awfully young then.

Yeah. Lots of memories, and each one has its special place in my mind. It really was a whole 'nother place and time, and set of people. I'll cherish their memories forever, along with the many quail hunts with my cousins and uncles when they'd come to visit and catch up on the family news and gossip. So many, many things! Truly, I've been a VERY blessed man!

I remember when going to the locql gunshop wasnt a big drmatic thing. Stopped by my favorite gun shop this morning just to browse a bit. I didn't have much money with me but I wasn't planning on buying anything anyway. Danged if they didn't have a .22 semi-auto pistol I've been looking for at a good price so I decided to buy it. Passed the background check, of course, then followed the nice lady over to the register. As I was getting ready to pay, she said "Strip down, facing me". I just assumed this was another one of OBama's executive orders and made a note to contact the NRA about it but I wanted the gun so I followed the lady's instructions. When the screaming died down and just before the police arrived I realized she was talking about swiping my credit card!

I've been requested to shop elsewhere. They need to make instructions a little more clear for us old guys!

Boolit Buddy
    Hand made biscuits. Bacon gravy.

Leaving deer rifle at front gate of plant on Friday before opening day.

Flavor of Grandma's kisses.

Cloth diapers. (and aroma of used ones)

'glass' eye glasses.

Wooden rulers.

Sweet Nuns and grouchy Priests.

Leather belt on my ***.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Having an unlimited expense acct and taking customers out on the town in New York.

Dealing with the peace niks in Washington DC, 1960's.

Two planes colliding over the Med. and nukes dropping.

Getting my first .22 at the age of 8, Christmas 1950.

Swimming in the ol' swimming hole when I was a kid. Water today likely contaminated.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

I remember a lot of my 66 years. One of my best memories as a young kid was when we would ride the train from Mobile to Birmingham.

Boolit Master
    Grandma would dress up to watch Lawrence Welk. "If I can see him, he can see me!"

Dad and I would fish almost every evening it was warm. My job was to pull the boat thru the water with one paddle from the front seat. I fly fished while I was doing it too.

I can still smell the freshly tilled soil.... and the corn when it is pollinating in the hot part of summer... those 2 smells are so good and you will never forget....

I still remember squirrel and rabbit hunting with dad. He wouldn't hunt rabbits until there was a snow. Afraid of disease....

Dad always prided himself on his marksmanship. ( Army records say 'expert M1 Garand, M1 carbine, 45 pistol' ) The limit was 5 squirrels and he never took more than 5 shells. He did come home one time with 6 squirrels though....

Every supper was a feast! Fried squirrel ( or rabbit) with homemade milk gravy, mom's canned beets and pickles , perfect fried tators , and whatever out of dad's huge garden. It doesn't get any better...

Mom and dad both grew up poor in the Depression. Really poor. We had a garden about 1/2 the size of a football field. And 3 truck patches that altogether were more than the garden.

We went to the orchard to pick apples and peaches. At the top of the tree is the one perfect peach. I never could resist eating it. Got it all over me too as it was so juicy....

We picked berries or Hickory nuts for fun. I can still remember dad cracking and picking hickory nuts while watching our first TV. He couldn't just sit and watch tv. He had to be producing something....

There was some bad with it but an amazing amount of good...

I must say a heartfelt prayer... " Thank You Lord for such a Wonderful Childhood"''

Boolit Buddy
    Duck hunting with my dad every weekend. He would pack peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a thermos of coffee for him and hot chocolate for me. I had unlimited ammo for shooting and hunting. After school grabbing a rifle and and wondering for miles and never see a house or have to cross a road. Working with my Grandpa in his work shop. So many good memories.

I remember Dad putting his arms around me when I was 4 years old. He was helping me hold the Ruger .22 to shoot for the first time.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Bub
    I remember the first knife my dad bought me when I was a boy was a Gerber, from the glass case in the Sandpoint surplus store.

Boolit Buddy

I remember watching rocket launches in 1957/8 at White Sands, NM. Ten cent movies. I remember the first pair of boxers Mom bought me. I thought they were shorts and went and played all day in them and was mortified when she told me I had been playing outside in my underwear. I was in Korea when Kennedy was killed and the first I heard of it was that a caddy had been hit in the head on a golf course and died. One year later to the day I shot my first and only pheasant. Lots of memories, to many to repeat.
    "Only the weak blame parents, their race, their times, lack of good fortune, or the quirks of fate. Everyone has it within his power to say, this I am today, that I shall be tomorrow. The wish, however, must be implemented by deeds." Louis L'Amour The Walking Drum

I remember the days that my babies were born................it don't get much better than that.
    Last edited by Ural Driver; 03-20-2016 at 12:55 PM.
    NRA Benefactor