MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Share something that you remember.

Boolit Mold
    Buster Brown and his dog Tag

Boolit Mold
    I remember paying the kid on the farm next door $20 for a 7mm Mauser and when dad saw it he made me take it back and trade it for a 36 cal cap and ball Navy Arms that I carried from the age of 13 or 14 (dad thought black powder wasn't a real gun). It was around the year 1970 and you could buy old Mauser rifles for $20 all day long. We'd bake the creosote out of the stocks, hammer out the bolts into spoon handles, replace the safety with a sport safety, polish and jewel the bolts, sometimes it even worked out so you had a nice shooting rifle cheap for deer hunting. We'd go down to the river with a fist full of sharpened dowels and shoot them at carp with our black powder rifles. Bear and Hill were my heroes and no one ever heard of a compound bow.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I remember when the Copper girl and her puppy wasn't vulgar.

I remember when gasoline was an aromatic fuel,and Eythal was the same as 100-130 octane avgas.

I remember the 1st gallon of unleaded gas I pumped ,a 1977 Mercury Bobcat 3 door wagon and the last gallon of leaded gas I pumped, a 1969 Chrysler Newport coup .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    I remember the cold wetness of the first round of barning tobacco when it had rained the night before.Hand cranking a super A farmall tractor when the crappy 6 volt battery was half dead .,and paying 27 centa a gallon for gas for my first car .

Boolit Master

I remember pumping gas, and I MEAN PUMPING gas, up into a large glass container on top of the pump. Pump up 5 gallons, as indicated by the indicator, then stick the hose widget into the filler, pull the trigger, and the gas flowed down by gravity. A dollar's worth...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Master
    Throughout the mid to late '50s, about once a year, Dad would go up into the mountains North of the Sun Valley area of San Fernando Valley or into the Santa Monica Mountains and poach a doe (I think he did it in or close to season, but didn't pay much attention to other regulations). He'd do a quickie field dress and bring home the carcass while it was still pretty early in the morning. I think he favored Sundays for this. He'd hang the carcass in the car port and do most of the rest of the dressing and butchering.

We had a cat that would march around the tarp that had been stretched out on the concrete under the hanging carcass. The cat's tail would be stiff as all get-out and held straight up in the air. I swear you could have picked that cat up by it's tail and the cat's body would have remained at a right angle to her tail. She would also let out one long meow during the entire trip around the tarp. Every couple of minutes Dad would throw her a piece of scrap trimmings and she'd pounce on it and growl the whole time that she chewed it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Their was this first time. Someone gave me a big balloon.I was so happy., I killed every balloon after.

Boolit Man
    I remember Dad waking me up way before first light and carrying me to the car..i was 3 maybe. He'd drive us down into PA and take a gravel road to a point on the susquehanna river. The fog would be so thick you couldn't see the water, you could just hear it. He'd build a fire on the rocks and smoke his pipe..i can almost smell the 2 kinds of smoke mixing in the air still. He'd bait my hook up with live worms and i'd struggle to hold the zebco 404 and fiberglass rod up..i'd catch sunnies and rock bass while he'd cast those old rubber worms with the orange beads and metal spinner for pike and pickeral. I never remember him catching a single one but when i talked to him recently about those trips in the early seventies thats what he said he was after. Those are my first fishing trips i remember.

Thats great times.

I remember the shear terror of learning that my 1st child was on the way . The sleepless nights of all infants. Holding them the 1st time . Freaking out at 530 practically running to the crib because they didn't wake me up at 315 for a change of britches and food.
    My oldest son freaking out if we left town with less than a half tank of gas "Dad it's 75 miles to the gas station" , " Gene there 125 miles in the tank .." ,"Shurz is halfway. ......." .
    Trying to figure out why the youngest daughter had a problem with the harvest but not the autopsy. ...... to this day ...... she's 27....

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

My youngest son joining up and oldest daughter joining the Army and Navy . The relief when their 5 yr hitches were up . The 29 months 13 days 16 hours spent dreading every unexpected door nock ,every unfamiliar car and every uniform in town while my son was in Iraqastan. The relief when every call from them started with "hi dad I just called to call" and whatever it's called when they call to say "I'm Rucked up and boarding in an hour for hell again" or "Dad I'm spending 6 months on the Reagan ".
    I remember my 1st wife fixing her schedule so I missed the last mulie hunt my Dad was able to make the walks and the last season I would be able to stand where I stood to kill my 1st deer with my Dad . How she conveniently wrecked her shoulder and the last Duck Camp with my Dad got canceled and the kids didn't get to have the campfire ducks ,taters and brandy . I spent weeks getting gear in order ,tieing up tumble weeds setting blinds up to stay warm .....poof gone, not just put off, gone .
    The Friday morning after Thanksgiving when Purdy didn't come to meet me in the kitchen and I spent the morning to bury her instead of hunting with the kids.
    Of course the same morning 13 years before she picked up 31 ducks , 4 cotton tail and ate my Hershey bar off the dash. Dang dogs really get under skin don't they?

Attachment 147719

I remember the 1st time my Dad bought this . 55 cents ,he was the definition of livid , " last weekend it was 35 cents in the pump !"

Moderator Emeritus

I remember when Iran was known for being the largest exporter of Pistachio nuts. California had to dye theirs red to show they were not the originals we grew up on.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    And NOW,Iran is just plain nuts.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by waynem34 View Post
    Their was this first time. Someone gave me a big balloon.I was so happy., I killed every balloon after.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Buddy
    Having 4 channels on TV, B/W and they all signed off the national anthem every night.

Reading all these posts just makes me sad.... my how far we as a nation have fallen.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

μολων λαβε

Anybody else remember the vending machines full of stuff that's now all bad for you.

Machine would give you Cigarettes for $0.25 a pack, 22LR on a card for $0.25,
    All the $0.25 candy bars and the Penny candy machine

- I have to look hard now for things like Necco Wafers to use as targets.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    I remember my first marksmanship contest at 16 ( a loooong time ago). Took second place with my grandfather's 1907 Remington rolling block with a lyman tang sight (still have both). Got beat by a well-off young man using a great big heavy match rifle in 22LR.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved.
    They must have reworded it at some point. For me it was "To take charge of this post and all government property in view" and there was another one, #6 maybe? that dealt with passing standing orders on to the sentry that relieves me. #6 was the longest one and the one they had us try to recite in the tear gas chamber (which I will never forget).

Growing up a few blocks from the city swimming pool and ending the summer with bragging rights that I went every day the pool was open.

I remember "I'm going out to play" didn't entail parents knowing exactly where you were every second of the day. We'd just leave the house, go goof off for 12 hours or so in 15 different locations then just come home.

I remember M-80s and cherry bombs.

I remember bullets on the railroad tracks.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast