Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Model 65 vs. Speed-Six

Boolit Master
    hope you don't need parts or factory service for the sixes- you can't get there from here
    Loren

Banned
    Yep, I'm aware that factory parts are no longer available but there are plenty of Six's out there to cannibalize. Unless I break something major, I can probably fix it. I've been shooting Ruger DA's for many years and the bottom line is, They don't break.

It's all academic at this point. I don't have the money to buy a "new to me" Speed-Six.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Ruger made thousands of contract guns with actual 3" barrels for Customs, Border Patrol, ATF, ONI, etc.
    I've got a S&W 65 w/3"bbl but this thread got me thinking about a Ruger *Six. Went to Gunbroker to look around. There may be thousands of government contract Sixes around but people are hanging on to them and those who don't, want a LOT of $$ for them.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    "You can drag a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead." - Alfred E. Newman

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I only put about 200 rounds a year through my Six to save wear. It was one owner/like new when I bought it, didn't even have a turn ring on the cylinder. For general range shooting my well worn S&W 10-5 and Taurus 82 serve just fine. I would love to see Ruger make a six shot wheel gun that doesn't weigh a ton. The SP-101 is already big for a five shot, I think it would be pretty easy to open the frame a little and make it a six shot .38. Add a 3" barrel and adjustable rear sight and I couldn't buy one fast enough. Ruger has shown a willingness to create new revolver variations lately so maybe it will happen someday.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I've got a S&W 65 w/3"bbl but this thread got me thinking about a Ruger *Six. Went to Gunbroker to look around. There may be thousands of government contract Sixes around but people are hanging on to them and those who don't, want a LOT of $$ for them.
    Also, current government practice among the Federal agencies is not to sell off old turn-in guns, but to have them destroyed. When I visitied Ruger police department turn-ins and confiscated weapons were sent to Pine Tree Casting for destruction in the foundry.

Ruger made a big deal that they would NOT use any "inferior" steel of "unknown history" to cast any parts for their guns. They explained that a service to government customers, they would invite representatives to witness and certify the destruction. The melted guns would be converted into manhole covers, anvils, tournament horse shoes, hammer heads or whatever the customer wanted, and the castings made from those destroyed guns returned to the City of New York, Boston, Baltimore, Washington, DC or whatever.

I remember a speech by then-Mayor Marion Barry, at a political rally showing, "Here is what 1000 guns taken off our streets look like!" and pointing to a stack of manhole covers having the Pine Tree logo on them. If you are brave enough to walk the streets of Anacostia, you can find them there!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned
    Ferguson, I'm with you. The GP-100 and SP101 are excellent guns and far stronger than they need to be, particularly for 38 Special. The old Six series guns were closer to S&W K-frame dimensions and weight but generally stronger than K-frames. What I'd like to see is a GP-100 with a half lug barrel, a little more taper to the barrel and a cylinder that still had 6 chambers but a smaller overall diameter. Sort of a new generation Six series with the GP style cylinder lock-up and peg type grip frame. Bigger than a SP101, lighter than a GP-100. I'd buy one !

Outpost, using recycled steel from firearms to make manhole covers is a waste but I bet those are some great manhole covers!

You're right about federal law enforcement agencies destroying old firearms. A lot of local and state LE agencies offset the cost of new firearms by selling the old ones (often with their own officers getting first right of refusal) but the feds have become very scared to "release" old guns into any type of market, even one as tightly regulated as firearms transfers. It is a waste but it has anti-gun political roots.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 04-28-2015 at 05:59 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    This isn't the same Speed-Six that I saw but it's very close. Everything you need and nothing extra. Maximum utility and all business.
    I prefer an unbobbed hammer, but that is a beautiful gun either way.

Banned
    Simple is a good thing.

Simple is a good thing.
    Amen and amen!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Attachment 161348
    Well it was bound to happen. I found a Speed-Six and just had to have it.

Boolit Master
    Attachment 161348
    Well it was bound to happen. I found a Speed-Six and just had to have it.

Sweet!
    Well done!
    I hope to some day find a 3" round butt 65 for my own carry, but a six series Ruger would do nicely and I'd grab one too if I came across it for a reasonable price.

I hope you enjoy your Speed-Six for many years to come.

Uncle R.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    even have the company logo tattooed on my ankle.
    Color me surprised!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never pictured you at a Tat. fan.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-19-2016 at 03:10 PM.

Love those Speed Sixes. Ruger, why did you have to let them go?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Nice revolvers either way.

I once brokered a deal between my BIL and my good friend. My BIL was getting out of reloading at the time and was trading off a few year old Dillon 550 and my friend had a 3" S&W model 66. The trade was made and soon my buddy missed his little 66. Oh he had a handful of other revolvers but nothing quite like that 66.

For years he asked me if my BIL still had that 66 and if he wanted to sell it back to him. The answer was always the same, yes he has it, no he wouldn't sell as he carried that 66 everywhere. Sadly my buddy never even set up the Dillon press. He intends to but he hasn't in the 20 years since the trade. On the good side though he did find a replacement 3" 66.

Banned
    A medium frame, round-butt revolver with a 2.5"-3" inch barrel is one of those things that is easy to dismiss until you carry one for a while. They give up a little sight radius to a 4" tube, but not much. The round butt grip profile is a little easier to conceal but is still practical. They weigh a little less than the same gun with a 4" barrel.
    They are very understated tools and often overlooked.

Agree totally. Apparently alot of other folks do too as high mileage 3" S&W 64's command over $400.00 on Gunbroker. Speed Sixes always go over $500.00 if they have a less than 4" barrel. Someone on the Ruger forum recently paid $1250.00 for an NIB specimen with a rare 3" tube- most are actually 2.75".

Banned
    The rain let up just one day but I squeezed a tiny bit of range time in during the break.
    As expected, the Speed-Six performed perfectly.

Boolit Master

I have experience with both, although both were 4" versions. I liked 'em both, but in the end I still have the Model 65 and the Speed Six resides with my brother. Either one will do yeoman service for its owner and ours have now served for over 40 years. I'm able to type this thanks to the Model 65's inherent accuracy and smooth double action.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    I shot the GP and 101 a good bit but went back to the Sixes. One of my favorites is a stainless bi-centennial Service Six with a 2 3/4 in. barrel that was turned into a round butt. It laid on my Dad's nightstand for over 30 years.

Dave
    Last edited by beemer; 02-24-2016 at 11:37 PM.