Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .30 cal. NOE Don Eagan Design

Boolit Grand Master

.30 cal. NOE Don Eagan Design

Look what arrived in the mail yesterday.
    I got in on this group buy with Al at NOE about 2 1/2 months ago, he predicted that he'd run it in early May.

He is ahead of schedule !

Thanks Al,

Ben

Boolit Master
    Mine came in yesterday's mail. I can't wait to try it out.

Boolit Grand Master
    Please share your results.

Ben

I ordered mine the other day. I almost ordered the 1 pb 1 gc mold but just got the both gc. I will be watching to see how you guys do with the pb boolits. If it works good I'll bore out on of the cavities to pb. It would be nice just to coat with hitek, size and shoot vs messing with gas checks.

Boolit Grand Master
    As quite a few of you may be aware, I really enjoy shooting .30 cal. plain base bullets.

I got outside after lunch and cast some plain base bullets from the .30 cal., NOE, Eagan mold.

The cast bullets have been sized, lubed with Ben's Red and rolled in Ben's Liquid Lube.

Here are the " numbers". They look good to me.

The more i look at these Eagan boolits, the better the design looks to me.
    Is this mostly a target boolit? How does it do for hunting? Will this design with it's long tapered nose take a bit of speed without slumping?
    I'm very curious about this one. Something about it just looks right to me!

Boolit Grand Master
    Many years ago, Donald Eagan made these molds in nose pour configuration ( many different designs , not just the one that I currently have).

Some real good reading on the subject in the link below :

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/HistMolds/Eagan.pdf

He was also on the " cutting edge " of his knowledge of chambers and chamber dimensions.

To answer your question, the bullet was originally desined as a g/c target bullet.

Would it work on game, we'll let everyone else chime in and offer their views ?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Many years ago, Donald Eagan made these molds in nose pour configuration ( many different designs , not just the one that I currently have).

Some real good reading on the subject in the link below :

http://www.castpics.net/subsite/HistMolds/Eagan.pdf

He was also on the " cutting edge " of his knowledge of chambers and chamber dimensions.

To answer your question, the bullet was originally desined as a g/c target bullet.

Would it work on game, we'll let everyone else chime in and offer their views ?

Ben
    Thanks Ben and i will do some reading and research on this one.
    Just looking at it reminds me of a Speer Magtech or Grandslam. Good call on getting the pb and gc boolit in the same mould...i love Noe's option on that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Best of both worlds.

Ben

I don't know how a 200 gr .30cal bullet going over 1500 fps is not going to kill deer. Especially if you make some soft points.(which I want to try with this mold)

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, looks interesting. What are ya'll going to load these into?
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

30-06 for me.

Don Eagan catered to the castbullet benchrest shooters and had some really good designs. One of his customers was a 90 year fellow who was national champion more than once. Whenever I went to his home range at Washtenaw Sportman's Club in MI, he always told me that Don Eagan made the best bullet molds and that he'd visited Don's shop a couple times. Sadly that old fellow is gone now, but maybe he and Don are having some good conversations.

I have the original Eagan mold this NOE mold is based on, thanks to drawings done by frnkeore. Only problem I had with the original mold is the vent lines are too big for pressure casting with a ladle. I get lots of little fin bones I have to pick off. It will shoot very good and seemed to like to go around 2175fps.

My Avatar is another of Don's designs, his MX3-30G, a fully tapered bullet. It'll throat up very good in my Garand with the gascheck even with the neck/shoulder junction. I have the cherry and had Bernie Rowles of Old West cut me a few molds. Now I see why Don made the vent lines as he did. I have a lot of problems with trapped air in the Old West molds, likely a problem inherent in nose pour designs that have a conical nose. I get about 50% good and those air pockets aren't always easy to see or feel. Changing to base pour along with NOEs venting ought to eliminate those problems. Can't wait to see how it works for you Ben, mine aren't here yet. I got the larger sizes that were available, hopefully the .314 size will eliminate some jump to the rifling in my Garand and my Mosin should appreciate the .316 version.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 04-27-2015 at 01:02 AM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Boy, now I can't wait to get mine. I too ordered one with both Plain Base and Gas Check cavities, although I went with 4 cavity Brass as it just seemed like the thing to do at the time.

Doug

BEN: You appear to missing the gas check.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Wow, looks interesting. What are ya'll going to load these into?
    Finn M28-76 Marksmanship rifle(7.62x54r) for me, you saw it that first trip to NTSA. It has sort of turned into my perpetual test bed for different bullet designs and powders.
    Last edited by texassako; 04-27-2015 at 11:25 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I want to see some test targets soon..........

Ben

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    30-06 for me.

hmmmm....this is all new to me. Looking forward to the range reports as well.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Wow, just looked at the b.c. rating on this boolit. The pic was a bit out of focus on the Noe site on my computer, but looked like an estimated .4448.
    I'll be watching the results on this one. It is an interesting design!

Paper patch that bullet and push it 2200-2400 fps and it looks like a real long range killer.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast