Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fancy Twisty-Do Bullets! Can we cast them?

Boolit Master

Fancy Twisty-Do Bullets! Can we cast them?

I like the idea of this stuff.
    http://www.polycaseammo.com/products/inceptor-arx

It's a solid that is supposed to create a wound like a hollow point.

I see no reason why we couldn't cast something like this. Do you think mould makers will jump at the opportunity to offer us cutting edge bullet technology?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ARX_ECU_01-510x600.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	137878

https://youtu.be/72NNefk6c1s

Video of the stuff in a gel block.

Boolit Master

I think I will just shoot hollow points.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    It looks like you would need a 3 sided mold and I guess you would need to cast with zinc to get the weight down to 74 gr and up the speed. Another solution looking for a problem. I would rather get a proven NOE or Mihec hollow point mold.

Boolit Grand Master

It could be done but how I could see some real issues with release of the cast bullet from the mould.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    It looks like you would need a 3 sided mold and I guess you would need to cast with zinc to get the weight down to 74 gr and up the speed. Another solution looking for a problem. I would rather get a proven NOE or Mihec hollow point mold.
    I was thinking of casting with lead. A 90gr lead bullet in 9mm is easy enough to do. I'm not sure how much speed is needed to get these things to work.

Boolit Master
    Technically these are cast. Injection moulded. You can see at the tip where the goo went into the mould. I'd be curious to see the mould, but I doubt they would tell me much about it if I asked.

Buy the bullets and take some of them out to make your own casting mold from an epoxy silicone casting resin such a RTV630 ($300/QT). Much slower than injection molding though, but, you could make these for yourself! The bullet could be made from a pourable polymeric plastic mixed with ground copper added. Experimentation would be surely needed to get the right plastic/copper ratio and weight. Looks like a fun project!

I think I would just buy what you need or cast your own HP's and be done with it.

Banned

I didn't see a price per box anywhere. Anyone see or know? just curious.

Boolit Buddy
    Take a look at this sticky just above:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ps-head-anyone

Pass.

Boolit Master

Tell me again what it does that I can't already do with what I have?

Banned

you could even modify it, I would think that a 4 sided driver bit like that would be easier to make and get to feed well.
    all you'd have to do is figure the draft angles.
    I dunno how you'd cut a mold for cast though cause a CNC machine still cuts a mold in circles.

but where there is a will there is a way.
    you could get a swage die set and have a custom top punch made in reverse then swage the boolits into that nose shape without too much drama.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like a swaging proposition to me as well. Looks more like a drill bit than a boolit.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

if you look at the profile it's a ball ammo copy with some notches cut into it.

I can't see a need for boolit like this, what would or could it do that a HP can't... if it ain't broken , don't fix it....especially when it would involve all the B.S. that this would....IMHO , but have fun , so good luck.
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master
    Such are the benefits of powder coating that we can't really tell what metal they are made of, or whether they are without lube grooves, and therefore swageable. I would be skeptical of their doing (at least dependably) what other bullets weren't. Presumably whatever happens in a gun with right-hand rifling doesn't in a gun with left-hand.

Moderator Emeritus

I also noticed that the bullet's path in the gel wasn't very straight at all. This could be a significant factor in the wounding ability too. If we aim for the heart, for instance, the errant path may make it miss our actual target within the chest cavity. I'm not sure I'd trust them .... just yet, anyway. Most bullets like this have a heyday up front, and then get tweaked, and finally dropped due to technical reasons like molds being very expensive to produce. We handloaders tend to be a rather thrifty lot. Still, though, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Stuff like this is always, at a minimum, interesting.

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting, but I think I also will pass!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Grand Master

While I do little hunting and use large meplate solid bullets for SD, I wouldn't rely on hollow points to consistently expand at most handgun velocities. I have shot a few HP lead bullets and those that I recovered didn't expand in the "classic" manner, and lots of the HPs just clogged and acted like a sold. I guess the bullet pictured was supposed to act like a "saw" or "drill" from the rifling twist as it entered flesh. Or it just looks "dangerously cool" ie;, marketing hype...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Ummmmm. . .don't you think the aerodynamics of that goofy nose and the spin from the rifling might work against each other?

Not seeing anything in the vid a flat nose isn't doing already.

BUT: If you can figure out how to cast non-round boolits in a multi-cavity mold, I'd love to start mass producing Civil War era hexagonal Whitworth slugs. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast