RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything

View Poll Results: Which Would you pick the Rossi 45 Colt or .454 Casull?

Voters
201. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rossi .454 Casull

98 48.76%
  • Rossi 45 Colt

103 51.24%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 45 Colt or .454 Casull

Well my 44Mag Rossi with a 20" barrel was absolutely hurtful with that steel curved butt plate. I can't think of a rifle that was more unpleasant to shoot with factory or factory equivalent loads.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robertbank View Post
    Well my 44Mag Rossi with a 20" barrel was absolutely hurtful with that steel curved butt plate. I can't think of a rifle that was more unpleasant to shoot with factory or factory equivalent loads.

Take Care

Bob
    I have a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45-70 with 32" barrel. It came with a curved butt plate. I made a curved to flat spacer out of some delrin and then put one of those slip on recoil pads on it. Makes it much more pleasant to shoot. Not very attractive though. Need to order myself one of those leather slip on recoil pads.

Rosewood
    Evangelical, deplorable redneck and proud of it.

Boolit Master
    I had both. The .454 handles COL .10 inch longer as that is the SAAMI limit for that cartridge. It will accept 45 Colt cartridges so reloaders could probably load their 45 Colt .10 inch longer. That would increase case capacity by about 4 grains of water or 9 %. I have had my right shoulder operated on to eliminate bone spurs, etc.. Don't want to do it again. The 45 Colt with +p loads is more than enough for me from now on and even then I now have a thick, soft, shotgun style recoil pad.

Boolit Mold
    I've got a rossi ranchand in 45 colt.but it will also shoot the 454 casull

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by joel.w View Post
    I've got a rossi ranchand in 45 colt.but it will also shoot the 454 casull
    Wow, I bet that is a handful with a ranchand shooting 454.
    Did you have the chamber reamed for the longer cartridge or did it come from rossi that way?
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Besides the punishing recoil, Rossi didn't offer .454 Casull in the 24" octagonal rifle that I wanted. I hear y'all about the curved buttplate, but I love the classic look of it so much I just deal with it, or use a recoil pad on my shoulder. But my .45 Colt loads aren't that bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170319_163311.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Besides a M92 in 45 Colt and 454 I also have a Winchester 94 45 Colt. The M94 has the cartridge stop ground back so that it will take a 1.8 inch LOA cartridge. The increased usable case volume is greater than the 454 so that at 45 Colt +P pressures it can pretty much duplicate the 454 velocities. It still feeds interchangeably 45 Colt regular loads and 1.8 LOA loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I thought I wanted a 454 casull but ended up with 3 in 45 colt.
    I figured if I really needed more than the 45 colt I needed a bunch more and just bought a 45/70,

I can't hit a deer with 100% reliability past 150yds or so with open sights anyway, but that extra energy is great if you need to really plow a boolit into the dirt.
    Decisions, decisions. There's something to be said for the portability of the lightweight '92 in .454 Casull over the beefier .45-70 in an '86 or '71.

I have the 92 in 45 Colt. I wanted the 454 initially but they were unavailable at the time and being impatient didn't want to wait. Good thing about the 454, as has already been mentioned, is it's ability to also shoot 45 Colt. Say what you will about Rossi, my M92 has been nothing but rock solid. Spends its time at the farm and has accounted for numerous critters.

Like others said, don't necessarily have to magnum it, but it's there if you need it.

Boolit Master
    I'm with those who recognize the beefiness of the .454, but also recognize that you don't always need to go with full-house loads. It has minor structural improvements the .45 Colt version doesn't have, and you can always download .454 loads.

I'm kind of interested in the .480 Ruger M92s though. Unfortunately they seem to be pretty rare.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    .480 Ruger M92???? Ouch!
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

45 Colt hands down.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Master
    I bid on one in .454 at an estate sale and won. After buying 150 .454 cases from Starline and shooting a few, I mostly just shoot .45 Colt anymore. Nice to know that the ability is there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    .480 Ruger M92???? Ouch!
    No kidding! As an indestructible young man, I loaded my 44-40 Rossi with 200gr jacketed loads to 2000fps- straight out of the Lyman 45th ( back of the book in "obsolete cartridges").....
    On the third shot the magazine tube lurched forward from recoil.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    ive never had a 454 but the Rossi 92 in 45 colt is a gem. only one mold and load needed. mp 454640 lube sized to .454 with 20 or 21 grains of 4227. no need to even try anything else in it.

I have to ask, since I have never seen or really been looking for a 454 Rossi, how does the action lock up? Does it have the dual locking bars like a 94 Winchester? It has to be pretty unique to handle a 60K psi round like a 454. I know that 1894 Marlins are pretty strong but they never made a 454 to my knowledge.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    Attachment 299704I voted 454, since I just bought one.
    But I already had win. 92 in 45 coltAttachment 299703

Boolit Grand Master
    Mine is a Puma model 92, and you can read more about it here:

https://www.gunblast.com/Paco_Legacy_454.htm
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Buddy
    Mine is also a Puma Imported by LSI Reno Nevada, has the bolt safety.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast