Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady Equipment

Boolit Bub

Hornady Equipment

I went to a 2 day reloading seminar sponsored by Hornady. I picked up a great deal of information and a new found respect for Hornady equipment. Not sure why I never considered them when shopping for equipment. Most of my stuff is Red.
    Are there any Hornady fans here?

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

yeah, I would say I like their equipment. I have a few minor complaints about the new dimension dies, mostly because they're engineered and executed for jacket bullets. all in all it's good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    I love my Hornady LNL Progressive. I upgraded from a Lee Classic Cast Turret. Like going from a mule to a Maserati.

In Remembrance

After all these years and untold thousands of loadings, I`m still trying to wear out my upgraded Pro-7.Robert

I went to a Dillon Square Deal B from a Lee Classic Turret. Again a mule vs. Maseratti comparison. I then later sold the SDB and bought an XL650 which I should have gone to in the first place. Nothing wrong with the SDB, but it didn't suit my needs. I am happy with my choice, but I could have gone with the Hornady L-N-L AP and been just as happy. Also could have went with the RCBS Pro 2000 and been happy. All 3 companies make excellent quality equipment and provide exceptional customer after sale support. Still have a Lee Classic Cast single stage I am satisfied with.

Boolit Master

I defied the blue kool-aid in buying my LNL-AP and I would still buy it again today. I do agree they heavily favor all things jacketed bullets. And their jacketed bullets are good things but it would be nice if they also pandered more to us cast bullet people.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

LCT to LNL AP for me as well! I absolutely love my LNL AP, it just flat out works. I run Redding Pro Series dies and a Lyman M die for opening up the case to accept cast boolits!

The only issue I ever have is with the priming system and that is the downfall of every progressive press.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736

Boolit Grand Master

I don't have much Hornady equipment, but my Son has a few of their dies and likes them. So does one of my buddies. Most of my equipment is either Green or Blue.

Boolit Master

I have an 07 from the 80's that is just getting broken in. Only it was Pacific back then. They make good equipment.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    yeah, I would say I like their equipment. I have a few minor complaints about the new dimension dies, mostly because they're engineered and executed for jacket bullets. all in all it's good stuff.
    Hornady is now offering "Cowboy" dies, like almost everybody else.

bhn22
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    I have an 07 from the 80's that is just getting broken in. Only it was Pacific back then. They make good equipment.
    I wore out a 007 press several years back. When I asked about warranty, I was told that that only applies to the life of the equipment. Hornady had changed paint colors from reddish brown to red, so my 007 no longer had a warranty. The lady on the phone was exceedingly rude, so I replaced it with a Redding Big Boss.

Boolit Buddy
    Every manufacture has some great products. Don't put on blinders and only look at one brand or you will pass by several great items!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm into hornady as well. Got the lnl and a single stage along with dies, testing powder equipment. I think they have great customer service. That said nothing wrong with RCBS, Lee is a so so, with Lyman a no go. Dillon, all I have is a set of 40 cal dies. I think its like what you start with you stay with. Put me down for hornady's enovation, quality and customer service. Not gonna poo poo on Lee to much, I bet most of us started with Lee. I still use a lot of their stuff.

Boolit Master
    The quality of the New Dimension dies are excellent. If choosing between RCBS or Lyman there is no contest. I am still on the fence about Lee. The ND dies just purchased were on sale and with the "free"bullets they came out cheaper then Lee. I have been trying different brands of dies and Hornandy has really impressed me.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Master

I have three Hornady Pro-Jectors and also some Hornady shotshell presses/
    All do quite well.
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    The only Hornady press I owned was an Apex. Hornady d/c it and sold off remaining parts to Lock, Stock, and Barrel in Nebraska who went out of business. So I sold the press. I have Hornady dies from over the decades and to tell you the truth, they all seem to work fine for various wildcats I own. I've own Contenders and later when Encores came out, I'm a barrel junky. Not one barrel is a standard chamber or it's an obsolete or wildcat cartridge. So I have a mix set of dies from CH4D, RCBS, Hornady with a handful from Redding, and Lyman. Another action I use is a 110 and have a couple dozen barrels for that action too. My shotshell press is a P/W 375c model that is by far the most versatile single stage press I own. I have shellholders from every manufacturer and I generally use the same make as who made the case forming dies.

Not one manufacturer makes everything I need. When I want to try out a cartridge and have a barrel made, I look at Wilson, Forster and Redding. If I can't find it, I look to CH4D, RCBS, Hornady and Lyman in that order.

On a sad note, RCBS and Hornady will stock parts when the press is in production and sometimes you get lucky years later. Lyman stuff is a hit or miss with me lately, I wish they would get my order right for die bodies and the only stuff I buy from Lee is custom order side.

The most stuff I have for one press is for the 550. I have almost every shellplate and button made plus quite a few powder funnels. I don't have or ever any priming woes on this press.

I have noticed depending on when production occurred, Hornady stamping of shellholders have changed, sometimes they are easy to read and some look cheesy.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by troyboy View Post
    The quality of the New Dimension dies are excellent. If choosing between RCBS or Lyman there is no contest. I am still on the fence about Lee. The ND dies just purchased were on sale and with the "free"bullets they came out cheaper then Lee. I have been trying different brands of dies and Hornandy has really impressed me.

A couple of problems you may want to keep an eye out for with cast revolve around the floating seater sleeve.

#1 the nose profiles rarely match cast so you may wish to grind one of your own.
    #2 The sleeve may need to be honed out for cast. They're sized to keep jacketed bullet in tight alignment.
    #3. If the sleeve is the least bit tight or becomes fouled with lube, undue force will be required to retract the rounds. The retention clip is designed to resist gravity, not downward force. They can wear out exceedingly quickly so you better have a spare dozen or so handy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

+1 on Hornady liking jacketed bullets. I've got 2 ammo plants for j-words and why I use my Star's for cast.

Le Loup Solitaire
    I always thought that Hornady equipment was pretty pricey , but many people I knew reported that it was of good quality. I used their powder measure for a number of years and thought that it was well built and delivered good accuracy. LLS

Another fan of Hornady dies. Great stuff. First choice of dies if they are available. I have some Hornady die sets that have been in use for almost 30 years; they still perform like new. Service has been exceptional. Only thing that I've ever had to replace was a lost clip on the seater die. Hornady CS sent a couple right out at no charge. They now include a spare or two with the New Dimension die sets.