RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Scope ring height question

Boolit Master

Scope ring height question

I ordered a Vortex viper 3.5-10x44 scope today, I am mounting it on a 700 rem regular barrel contour with weaver bases and was wandering what height rings would work and what rings you recommend? Thanks in advance!

Boolit Master
    What diameter tube does the scope have and what is the outside dimension of the objective bell in inches?

Boolit Master
    Use the lowest height that will allow the objective to clear the barrel, unless rifle has a raised comb. For me that is usually the "Low" version. If you want to have some margin of error, go with "Medium".

For Weaver type bases I use either Leupold QD lever rings or Warne Maxima QD's. Since I'm constantly shuffling scopes around, I prefer the quick detachable ones. I have found that these two manufactures are pretty repeatable, as far a POA is concerned.

Winelover
    Last edited by winelover; 04-26-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Boolit Master

It has a 30mm tube, The outside dimensions of the bell is 2.03, It will be mounted on 2 piece bases.

Boolit Master

I would think to start with med rings 44mm is quite large if the mounts are a bit high you will be fine, is there a rear sight to mount over?
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

No rear sight on the barrel.

Here's a chart for determining ring height for both 1" and 30mm scopes.

Attachment 138375
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA

Boolit Master
    Thank You! for the PDF on the ring height chart, I downloaded it to my laptop for future reference.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the chart it will be stored for future reference.

Moderator Emeritus

+1 on chart. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Charts work but are not 100%. If in doubt, put choice of base(s) on rifle. Use some kind of spacer (cheap wood blocks that are easy to cut work fine) to simulate ring height on base(s). Lay scope on simulated rings. Adjust for your eye relief, cheek weld, bolt/safety clearance and front bell clearance on barrel. Measure best base/ring height and order accordingly. You can usually dig around on the net or go to the local LGS to directly measure examples and find heights for the various makes.

Another possible problem is that many modern scopes tend to be shorter coupled than their ancestors, so may require imaginative mounting, mix and match rings or bases- possibly including offsets. It's not rocket science but a little pre-measurement and figuring may help prevent the frustration of ordering wrong combinations.

Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    Charts work but are not 100%. If in doubt, put choice of base(s) on rifle. Use some kind of spacer (cheap wood blocks that are easy to cut work fine) to simulate ring height on base(s). Lay scope on simulated rings. Adjust for your eye relief, cheek weld, bolt/safety clearance and front bell clearance on barrel. Measure best base/ring height and order accordingly. You can usually dig around on the net or go to the local LGS to directly measure examples and find heights for the various makes.

Another possible problem is that many modern scopes tend to be shorter coupled than their ancestors, so may require imaginative mounting, mix and match rings or bases- possibly including offsets. It's not rocket science but a little pre-measurement and figuring may help prevent the frustration of ordering wrong combinations.
    I'm in total agreement, although a chart will get you started in the right direction, it does leave out many variables.

fouronesix, Thanks for pointing this out.
    Your Feedback is appreciated
    Johnny V
    NRA Benefactor
    Member OGCA & GOA
    CCW OH & PA