Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Savage .30/30 model 325A

Boolit Buddy

Savage .30/30 model 325A

Had an interesting thing happen while at the range. I loaded some cast .113 grain plinkers with 7.5 grains of Unique in a .30/30 Savage 325A. After about 20 shots I started to get misfires. I had loaded all identical to one another. I looked at the primers and the misfires where only lightly dented verses a heavy dent for the ones that fired. Could it just be as simple as dirty? Firing pin, spring? Anybody have this happen to them? Thanks.

Boolit Master
    I have had it happen several times with CCI primers, don't use them anymore myself, don't know what you were shooting. Also, if the bolt handle is not down all the way, you waste most of the firing pin spring strength closeing the bolt when you pull the trigger. Have seen this happen numerous times with all kinds of bolt actions.

Boolit Grand Master
    Any chance that you may have " deep seated " some of those primers ?

Boolit Master

Happened to me too. I stripped and cleaned the bolt and trigger mechanizium never had the problem since.
    fun rifles and you can load them with pionted j-progicitcals.
    be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Buddy
    I was using win large rifle primers. In the past I had misfire with CCI in different rifles so that why I switched to winchester. It didn't appear that I deep seated them but just by looking its difficult to tell. I loaded some last night and disassemble the bolt and cleaned. I will go to the range today an test.

Boolit Master

Let us know the out come.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master
    There is an article on the web where a guy rehabbed an old 340 rifle and it misfired too.
    People seem to think that using Federal primers works the best. In the case of the rehabbed rifle he installed a Wolfe mainspring.

>>>The firing pin spring was weak enough that some cartridges (after rebarreling) would misfire. A new heavy duty Wolff firing pin spring was purchased & installed correcting that problem. <<<

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/guns...savage_340.htm
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Sometimes if the primer is not seated deep enough, as the fireing pin hits the primer the primer slides further ahead absorbing the impact. More often then not, simply recocking the action and trying to fire the cartridge again works fine.

when a cartridge fires, the case head moves slightly rearward until the pressure is great enough for the case to expand and seal the chamber gasses. If a given load produces very low pressures, the case does t expand enough to properly seal and adhere to the chamber wall momentarily. This movement can give deeper than normal firing pin indentations. In this case, the case would also. Ome out with enth of black soot along the length of the case where the unburnt powder and gases flowed backwards towards the bolt face. But this is certainly not the case here.
    Last edited by Dthunter; 04-29-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: For clarity