Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The 9MM Bolt action rifle.

With the availability of 40 cal brass, I'd love to find a way to build up one of those.

As 40 and the 9 use same bolt head it should be doable
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    As 40 and the 9 use same bolt head it should be doable
    If you had an action and bolt face like that then you could do .380, 9x18, 9mm, .38super, .40 cal, .357sig., 10mm

If the action was strong enough - yes - as well as 7.62x25, 9mm Largo, 9x23
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    I also wonder why something like this isn't offered factory. With the continuing shortage, and now that I cast, 9mm is cheaper to shoot than 22LR by a wide margin. A 9mm rifle would be perfect for the kids to shoot without feeling like I have to ration ammo.

I've seriously considered buying a HiPoint carbine, just because I don't want to spend so darn much on a plinker for the kids. The alternatives are all about $700 or more just to get started (JR Carbine, Wolf G9, PSA AR-9, etc). I belive a bolt gun would slow things down a lot to extend the fun for the kids, and make them think a bit more about each shot. Yes, it's a pistol caliber, but it's not about effectiveness, it's about plinking, and in my view, 9mm is the new 22LR, except it cannot be as easily taken away from us all since it can so easily be reloaded.

I've had this discussion with two different manufacturers. Both of their reply's were the same. Just not enough justification, market wise to begin production.
    07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Wonder how hard it would be to make a AR upper that's manually operated and a magazine adapter block?
    je suis charlie

Use the standard AR15, delete the gas system, rebarrel to 9mm. The 9mm blowbacks use a standard magazine adaptor, use one of them. Don't know for sure if there would be any feeding problemos.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

I'd want to ditch the standard AR charging handle and go with side charger.

But cost wise - would Rock Island 22 TCM action that HotGuns picked come out ahead?

It certainly looks way better
    je suis charlie

Boolit Master
    I have thought about several straight-pull actions. If you delete the gas system from any gas auto then you are left with a straight pull type gun.
    SKS, AR, Garand, Mini30,
    I reload and am tired of chasing my brass all over the range to pick it up.

Boolit Buddy
    Not a bolt action but I've been keeping an eye on this one

http://www.legacysports.com/m-1-9mm-carbine

Boolit Master
    Has anyone seen a price for the Legacy? That just begs to have a paratrooper stock on it. It would obviously be a good partner for an M9/92FS. GF

I'm thinking of doing another...this one an SBR. I may go with an aluminum skeleton chasis, maybe with an AR stock on it. Something along the lines of a back packable rifle with a quick detachable barrel.

After putting several hundred rounds downrange, I really like this rifle. Popping plates at 100 yards is easy. The fact that it absolutley loves 125 grain cast boolits is an added plus. It's accurate and cheap to shoot.

I did change up the scope mounting system from the original picture. I went ahead and drilled and tapped the receiver. Here's a few pictures. Its wearing the X-Caliber Firearms, Seafire Diamond in .45 which does really well on this rifle. I like it better than the Tirant and the Osprey that everyone raves about. Its quieter than both and cheaper. I've got a 9mm can on the way, I rekon that will be even quieter but this rifle is already ridiculously quiet.

07/02 FFL
    Maker of fun things to shoot...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I'm thinking of doing another...this one an SBR. I may go with an aluminum skeleton chasis, maybe with an AR stock on it. Something along the lines of a back packable rifle with a quick detachable barrel.
    Richard at Special Interest Arms did one of his 45's like that.

be sort of cool to make a mini-AI AW G22
    Last edited by Artful; 05-06-2015 at 11:50 PM.
    je suis charlie

Only problem is...
    there isn't much in the way of bolt action rifles. While there are several designs of semi-autos out there, to shoot suppressed rounds you are basically forced to shoot single shot only as the subsonic rounds just don't have enough energy in them to cycle that gas actions that are out there.
    I shoot subsonic 9mm out of many semi and full auto suppresses firearms. Actually, most of the 147g load data you come across will all be subsonic loads.

like the rifle though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Wondering about getting one of the Mossberg rifles in 5.56 that takes AR mags. Pull the barrel off and replace it with a 9mm barrel, add a mag block and use uzi mags

Just bought a 9mm barrel (stub job) for my Handi Rifle, should arrive tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to see a replica of the Winchester 1905 or 1907 rifle brought out in modern pistol calibers.
    The Cubans converted a few of the Winchesters to 9mm and selective fire fed by Artillery luger snail drums and I suppose standard luger pistol mags as well.
    A 1907 in .40S&W would make for an excellent police patrol carbine.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Marlin 1894C! I can dream, can't I?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    There was some pics floating around either on the assra.com forum or the nitroexpress.com forums about a cute little9mm carbine made up on a 12/15 receiver (think 22 single shot rifle) without any supressor and according to the owner is was very accurate. Something to think on though. Frank

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast