Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: After 55 Years, Dad's Garand Comes Back to the Family

Boolit Master

After 55 Years, Dad's Garand Comes Back to the Family

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garand1 (Small).jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	137665 In the 1950s, Dad was a well thought of gunsmith and saddle maker. One of his personal projects was to redesign a milsurp Garand into a practical and very attractive sporter. After he had finished, he had this...He had taken 2 inches off the barrel, shortened the op rod, moved gas cylinder back approx. 8 inches and redressed her in a Mannlicher style stock, which he carved and checkered.
    I was probably 3 or 4 years old when he did this checkering; I remember watching him do this.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0024_2015.04.17.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	137666 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0026_2015.04.17.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	137668

He had also taken nearly 3 pounds off the weight of the Garand in its original battle rifle configuration. In about 1960 he traded the Garand to a family friend for 3 Winchesters.

Jump ahead to April of 2015, I recently bought the Garand back from the son of the family friend who had traded three of his Winchesters for Dad's Garand.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0021_2015.04.17.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	137671 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0029_2015.04.18.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	144.4 KB 
ID:	137669Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0028_2015.04.18.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	144.7 KB 
ID:	137670

I've been studying older threads on reloading for the Garand and although I know that my Garand's action will cycle most reasonable loads and will probably start out with a Lyman 311299 on top of 30 grains g/t of IMR 4895. My question at this time is, have any of you Garand owners found that one brand of en bloc clip performs better than another?

smokeywolf
    Last edited by smokeywolf; 04-23-2015 at 05:36 PM.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Your Dad did a good job. That's a good looking rifle.

Boolit Master

That is realy neat.
    thanks for sharing
    be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

awesome, I always passed on them due to the "clubby" look....upset with self....
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Boolit Master

I have never noticed a difference in the clips.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    That gas cylinder modification looks familiar . I thought I saw something like that in Gun Digest or similar publication .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Stanley View Post
    That gas cylinder modification looks familiar . I thought I saw something like that in Gun Digest or similar publication .

Jack

That was a 1961 issue of Gun World. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1961-11&12-GunWorld-Cover_001.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	137686
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Mold
    SF, JMO are two enlocs I can think of that dont function well in some Garands. Stick with USGI enblocs and you will be fine

Boolit Man
    Holy smokes Smokeywolf, What a phenominal homecoming!! Without a doubt the most gorgeous garand i've ever seen. An absolute treasure and moreso for you, never let that one get away again. J.

Boolit Master

Great great news, good for you. Your dad had a keen eye and a skilled had!!! Never let her slip out of family hands!!! This made my day, thanks for sharing

Boolit Bub

While I am not a big fan of modified Garands, this is the exception to that rule. A very beautiful rifle. You should be proud to have it back!

That's outstanding! You are so lucky to get it back and still in magnificent condition.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

That's a beauty all right! The cheapest and best place I have found for clips is the CMP, that said I also got a great deal once on evilbay and they all worked well too.

Smokey I am just down the road in Tustin, CA. I have alot of USGI enbloc clips, they are free to you. Say like 15 clips...we can hook-up if you need them!

Boolit Master

Wow! I love Garands and that one is absolutely beautiful. Your dad had a way with wood. A beautiful stock indeed. I've only used usgi enbloc clips mostly from CMP. They function very well in my CMP Garands.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Master

I'll trade you 4 winchesters for it???

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    Smokey I am just down the road in Tustin, CA. I have alot of USGI enbloc clips, they are free to you. Say like 15 clips...we can hook-up if you need them!
    Thank you for your very generous offer Brad, but I expect the price of the fuel to get my truck to Tustin and back home would be equal to or even greater than the cost of buying the clips from CMP. Also, I'm thinking that I'd like to end up with around 40 or so clips.
    Again, thank you for your very generous offer.

Would ultimately like to have clips loaded for hunting, gong ringing and paper punching, which means a variety of loads.

A paragraph in the Gun World article mentions that during the range test for the article, they loaded a couple of clips with GI, commercial, light and hot handloads that were subsequently fired slow and rapid fire, and that the Garand shot and cycled all without a single problem.

A pic from the article...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0030_2015.04.18.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	137700

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    "A member of the family made it back home . . . " - hey, you can't ask for a better ending! Glad it's back in the family where it should be . . . I'm sure it will trigger many pleasant and fond memories of your Dad every time you look at it and shoot it! Enjoy and when it's time . . . pass it on so it stays int he family.

Boolit Buddy

All I can say is WOW. I'm not usually a fan of modified Garands either but that is a work of art. Beautiful.
    INFIDEL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    "A member of the family made it back home . . . " - hey, you can't ask for a better ending! Glad it's back in the family where it should be . . . I'm sure it will trigger many pleasant and fond memories of your Dad every time you look at it and shoot it! Enjoy and when it's time . . . pass it on so it stays int he family.
    I have two young sons who are already vying for the position of conservator of Grandpa's Garand.

smokeywolf

- Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast