RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Ruger Mini 14 in 300 BO

Boolit Master

Ruger Mini 14 in 300 BO

Coming soon to a theater nearest you. Mini 14 in 300 BO with synthetic black stock. Which would you choice Ranch rifle or Mini ?

http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...-aac-blackout/

Boolit Master
    That caliber with the threaded, with a wood or laminate stock (no thumbhole, lefty here) in stainless steel would be my choice. Stainless is so very practical. Does "Ranch" mean that it has the scope mounts?

Banned

at only 300.00 more than an ar-15 style rifle, and only 200.00 more than my AAC [with scope] they should be selling them to someone, maybe, I guess.
    I wish they would just make a few more of the 300 americans so I could actually see one.

I was under the impression that this wasn't going to happen. I doubt it will be a big seller and I would also doubt that there will be many made.

Kel Tec dropped it's SU16 in .300BLK this year after disappointing sales, I thought Ruger had only chambered the American Rifle in .300 BLK to test the waters and see if a Mini14 offering would be prudent.

The General Consensus at SHOT was that the .300BLK was a passing fad. Ammo costs are high with few outfits participating . No abundant factory ammo is a loser for any gun. With this one the similarity to the 7.62x39 round is no help at all and the difference between the .300BLK and AK round is not very much at all and any AK round made by anybody is going to be cheaper to shoot and the availability is not even up for debate..

I know Ruger was having problems getting this gun to run right with the wide variety of ammo available. I don't know how they fixed it or if the really fixed it. I guess we'll see.

I don't see this one lasting, and don't expect any variations. If you really want one you should find one and buy it ASAP.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-23-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger Mini 14 in 300 BO

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I wish they would just make a few more of the 300 americans so I could actually see one.
    Have they made any? I've had one on order since they announced them. I've seen two on Gunbroker and I'm pretty sure they were listed wrong.

As far as the Mini 14, no way. One rifle I will never waste my money on.

Cast Boolits Owner

I first saw the Ruger American 300 BO and when I spoke with Dad about the rifle he mentioned this one. I that both are threaded for flash hider or suppressor. I will get one of each if I can because I like Rugers and because I don't have a Blackout yet.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

A weaker, more expensive, harder to find round. Sounds like a winner to me.

But it says .300, must be more powerful.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Kel Tec dropped it's SU16 in .300BLK this year after disappointing sales
    The way Kel Tec operates, they probably only made 5 of them anyway.

I like the cartridge and will buy an American as soon as I can get my hands on one. I see it as a great youth cartridge that's cheap to load, especially with boolits. Bonus points for suppressor utility.

I don't, however, have a use for a mini in one.

Kel Tec did a run of 300 SU16's in .300 BLK according to the head engineer. They still had about 50 left after one year.

Kel Tec SU16's are some of the most desirable light rifles out there. They are hard to get and the factory produces about 500 per month. They are nearly all special ordered, and you just don't see many of them out there. I got mine very slightly used for a song. I wouldn't let it go period, it is by far the best performing carbine I own and I have a nice AR and a Mini 14 also. All are in .223/5.56x45 caliber so I know I will always have ammo. This is the operative point in this post. IE: availability of ammo.

The reality of these carbines is that they are made for fighting first, and hunting/plinking are down the list but still doable.

The prospect of lugging a 9 lb. gun around that I can't find any ammo for doesn't interest me in the slightest.

My KT weighs 6lbs 1 oz with 2 loaded magazines in the buttstock so I always have ammo with the gun and it also takes AR mags which are everywhere.

The .300BLK is a situation where everyone said they wanted one but nobody showed up to actually put their money down. The end result is the industry is not supporting the cartridge to the degree everyone thought would happen. At the end of the day the popularity was mostly in print on paper and not in the real world.

If you really want one of these guns I would highly suggest that you contact Lipsey's or Davidsons as they are the two biggest outfits and if Ruger makes these guns, they will get them first.

I'd call tomorrow.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

I just checked Lipsey's and they have Ruger Mini14's in .300 BLK in stock

If I wanted one I'd have my LGS contact them tomorrow.

Randy

Banned

they expected the 300 b.o. to take off in the ar platform.
    it's the bolt guns everybody wants.
    I have an AAC right now, and I'm told the 300 americans are being made they just aren't making many of them.
    the lgs usually gets one in and the first person in line gets it.
    if I wanted one I could for sure let them know and they would call when it got there.

Boolit Grand Master

Ruger Mini 14 in 300 BO

There are quite a few 300BO American Ranch rifles on GB at the moment. One seller has a bunch and isn't far from my cabin in the Poconos. Hoping he allows local pickup so I don't have to pay $25 for shipping. The 6% tax is bad enough.

I agree that people want a bolt gun chambered in it. Makes more sense from a suppressor stand point. No action noise and it's a lot easier to cycle a bolt then charge an AR quietly.

I need to take the GB app off my phone. It's cost me to much money as of late :laugh:

I like the mini 14. I had one and found it just dandy and quite accurate too with select bullets. What bothered me was looking for brass after every shot which when hunting is a pain. I never did fire it in rapid mode. In fact, even closed off the gas port. That way I could catch the brass but lost the ability to disguise the action noise in the muzzle blast. I still miss that little rifle but love the Anschutz hornet I traded it for.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I myself think the 300 blackout is a pointless round. I am a fan of the mini 14 but I think they are a little overpriced.