Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: An observation... spring-back!

An observation... spring-back!

I cast some boolits today for my .475 Linebaugh. They sized and measured at .4762. I measured some that I cast 2 months ago, but sized some time later, .4768. I then sized some today that I cast in the same batch 2 months ago, .4768. These were from WDWW. Sure, the 2 month old boolit sized harder, but I gained .0006 (mic measured). They drop from the mold .4785. I know .0006 isn't very much, and isn't much of a gain for an undersized mold, but it's something. Next I'll try the same thing with 60/40 WW/lead just for grins and giggles, but I'm not expecting as much spring-back.

You might be experiencing the effects of boolit growth reported by members using antimonial alloys during age hardening. What alloy was used?

Boolit Grand Master
    I've experienced the sam thing. Seems to vary from .0003-.0005.

Shiloj
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

I used water dropped wheel weights. The boolits I sized the day I cast them, I could slightly turn the checks on the shanks. The ones I sized on the day after and 2 days after, the checks couldn't be turned. This is the first time I really bothered to measure day 1, day 2, day 3, etc. My size die is exactly .4762, So in my case, to get .4768 I have to wait at least 2 days to size. Much harder to push through my Star, so I have to run a lubed boolit through it more often. I know, I know, I'm being too anal.