Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you depend upon the Veteran's Administration?

In Remembrance

Do you depend upon the Veteran's Administration?

If you do, be careful what you say during 'casual conversations' with your doctor or counselor.

Changing your method of banking can get you put on the list:

“A [VA] counselor named Dr. Blair says, ‘How are you handling your finances?’,” veteran Henry Wrobel of Canton, Texas told TheDC. “I said my wife suggested, to make it a little bit easier for me, maybe use the auto-debit instead of going to the post office because it’s hard for me to drive” with injuries including two “made-up thumbs” resulting from 12 hand surgeries, a wired-on shoulder, and other ailments.

“I told him it’s working very well,” Wrobel said. The counselor “wrote down that I was unable to handle my own finances and that ‘his wife handles his finances.’ I got a letter saying that because I can’t handle my finances I’m like a felon and I can’t be around guns.”
    The Veteran's Administration and the FBI are working with the ATF to put veterans on the NICS listing, which denies them the right to gun ownership.
    http://dailycaller.com/2015/04/21/va...ns-taken-away/

(If a Mod thinks this thread is in the wrong location, feel free to move it.
    Just remember that many who should have access to the information do not ... or cannot ... visit The Pit.)

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master

Not good to say the least!
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Banned
    I expected nothing less from this corrupt Government.

Grouchy Old Curmudgeon

More and more these things are happening. It puts me in mind of the slow degradation of Rights that have taken place all over the world and many had a horrific ending. It also keeps in my mind those who say....."It could never happen here"

Boolit Master

I guess that is the governments way of saying "thank you for your service".
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

What happened to doctor/ patient privilege?????????????????????????????

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

If this was truly the case I would not have been able to buy guns from 15 years ago!
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

I'm very careful of what I tell my VA doctor and staff. I'm also trying to convince my good friend not to apply for PTSD benefits. I told him he could lose his firearm rights but, he doesn't see how...

I discuss target shooting with my VA eye Dr., he also competes in small bore matches.

Been doing it for 10 years now.

Boolit Bub

I spent two years in the army They lost my records right out of basic. I have an honable discharge I have never used my vet benifits when I signed up for social security they couldn't find any record of my service. I kind of like it that way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotashooter2 View Post
    What happened to doctor/ patient privilege?????????????????????????????
    Gov't has been hacking away at that for years. Gaining full access to everyone's medical histories has been a priority for some years. Gov't wants all of your financial and medical information on computer/digital storage. Any and all of your personal and private data that is stored on digital media at a doctor's office, insurance company or any other venue not under your immediate control can, with or without your knowledge or permission, be accessed by DOJ, DHS, NSA, IRS or pretty much any other alphabet agency.

Gov't goal is to be able to take your money and your Constitutional rights away from you any time, without due process and pretty much without any process. Without money or Constitutional rights you're at the mercy of a merciless government.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Buddy

My VA doc is a shooter, I taught him how to re-load along with his son, they were in my class two years ago at the range where I teach.
    I have had several doctors in my class this spring.
    floydster

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I spent two years in the army They lost my records right out of basic. I have an honable discharge I have never used my vet benifits when I signed up for social security they couldn't find any record of my service. I kind of like it that way.
    I like the full pension and full health care the VA gives me.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    I discuss target shooting with my VA eye Dr., he also competes in small bore matches.

Been doing it for 10 years now.
    Have you ever told your doctor that your wife takes care of your finances?
    Have you ever asked for VA assistance with managing your money?
    How many counseling sessions have you participated in when you admitted to having trouble in meeting one or more of your management responsibilities?

How many other veterans has your doctor reported up the chain for inabilities to manage their affairs?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

I always watch what I say at the VA when I go there.Tell them only what they need to and no more or anything else.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

#1. Yes, and told him she handles paying all the bills. Also told him I was in management most of my life, delegating is nothing new to me.
    #2. No
    #3. Zero
    #4. How should I know.

Moderator Emeritus

This is recent in the last couple years and not all VA docs are jerks. But enough are to watch yourself. Friend made the mistake of telling the VA dude he used to be on sleeping pills. VA doc reported he was an addict and they pulled his gun rights. He got a letter before the cops showed up so I am storing his guns while he appeals it all. Cops were not happy to find no guns and they got upset when he would not tell them where they were stored. One is his great grandfathers 1894 Winchester, it is well used, beat up, but a family treasure that has been passed down and he wants it to go to his son some day and not have some cop 5 finger it or have the cops destroy it. Besides the rifle he had his shotgun for pheasant and deer hunting. I made safe room and when things are sorted out he gets them back. In the meantime he just goes shooting with me.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    If you do, be careful what you say during 'casual conversations' with your doctor or counselor. The Veteran's Administration and the FBI are working with the ATF to put veterans on the NICS listing, which denies them the right to gun ownership.CM
    Folks, the military has changed from the late 80s, one 286 computer (with a 486 upgrade chip!!!) running Office Enable, weekly upload by dial-up modem, where you could DUI, loose significant gov't property, and maintain high personnel levels through "ghost" soldiers (soldiers stopped coming to drill, but were still on the books), to the "professional" force circa mid 2014 where people a thousand or more miles away can detect if PVT Snuffy is not on SurePay... or wasn't POSH certified...or hadn't taken the annual Global Assessment Tool (GAT). The GAT, supposedly is a self-assessment that individuals take, informs the individual if they are normal or they are potentially in need of help.

Every time I took it, each question and range of responses (like Not At All to All The Time) made me consider what the "system" would think of the answers. There was a junior soldier taking it one day, and the answers that person chose were the most dire possible (trying to "git r done"). I asked if that was really wise thing to do, the reply was that nobody ever looks at the GAT responses.

Let's consider now the VA. Doesn't have to be the VA, insert any government beauracracy - IRS, DHS, HHS, DOJ... Imagine that the threat (or embarrassment) of the day has triggered a congressional frenzy. Unscrupulous people "leak" data to support or attack a person, group, or organization. Or there is another Chelsea Manning hoping for a free sex change.. Whatever.

I feel sorry for those Vets that have even thought of getting mental health assistance, either from the military, the VA, or civilian health. The Army for probably 10 years has tried to make it so there was no stigma on asking for help. But even if the military has been successful, folks outside the system will only see that a vet must have problems, time to do something.

Just waiting for the next fads. Nutrition. Exercise. Body Mass Index. Broccoli. Belief that man caused climate change is creating health problems. Used to be that "just the facts, ma'am" was the only requirement.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

It is happening. If you know or are a veteran going to the VA, don't tell them anything that does not concern your health. Money matters are one of those things to keep quiet about. Be careful.

Boolit Man

I am a 100% disabled Vet with PTSD and when I go see my Mental Health provider we talk about guns. He is an avid trap shooter and I shoot on bot rifle and pistol leagues. I currently have no problems with this provider and he does not include anything in my records about guns!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast