Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 36 of 62 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Buddy
    My standard everyday load in the 41 magnum using a 220gr swc (H&G 258 , the " Real Keith design bullet " ) is 8.5 grs of Winchester Super Field . I have several Smith's , including a model 58 . I also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk , 4 5/8" barrel that has a lot of custom work done . I had toyed with the idea of selling it but after doing some load development it is a keeper . The above load works well in all my 41"s , plenty of power , fairly mild recoil , accurate and leaves the cases very clean . What's not to like about all of that ? Regards, Paul
    Last edited by cowboy4evr; 09-14-2019 at 01:12 PM.

Boolit Master
    I had a new to me Model 57 that I won on GunBroker two weeks ago...but it is already gone...

Put in a joke bid of $655.55 on a very clean 1974 6" blue that had the original Target grips... No one else bid for two weeks until the last hour of the auction... These 57s will usually bring $750-850 but the two guys bidding against me stopped at $651.00...so I won by $4.55....

Shot the gun last Friday and found that the front of the cylinder was rubbing on the barrel shank so on Monday I ran it over to my Smith smith. Turns out he had been looking for one for a while and a friend of his had sold one that he had asked to buy if ever sold... So since I already have a 6" 1964 I sold him this one for $10 more than I had into it and gave him the three speedloaders and 18 rounds of ammo I had brought with me to test the gun after he fixed the problem...

So I got all my money back on a gun I didn't need and made a friend happy...win/win....

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    The 41 magnum is a real favorite of both myself and my sister for many years . She has a 4" nickel 57 and shoots it well . After having tried several different molds , I contacted Veral Smith @ LBT Molds . He gladly made me a 220gr swc of the Keith design (shorter shank , longer nose ) . I bought it in 4 cv . It has been delivering outstanding performance . It has a nice thick front driving band and like all his molds , the bullets easily drop from the mold . I do have the H&G 258 mold in a 2 cv that Northern Valley Machine in East Grand Forks Minn. made . Don't ask for a price on a 4cv from them , you will get sticker shock . I have bought quite a few molds from Veral and have always been very pleased . He still is selling his soft bound book " Jacketed Performance with Cast Bullets " . It's about $25 . It covers shooting cast from revolvers , semi auto's and rifles and goes into detail the problems associated with barrels leading and how to achieve real accuracy . He tells you how to correct them yourself . He is considered by many a real authority on the subject . I have found his " Long Flat Nose " design bullets real long distance shooters . Even the " Wide Flat Nose " worked well to about 90 yds . I have loaded them both from " mild to wild " with excellent results . Some of you might want to consider his molds next . Regards, Paul

Boolit Master
    Chronograph reading from a Charter Arms 3"...

http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...crollTo=319556

Boolit Master
    The Uberti .41 Special has finally arrived...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6598.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	249511

http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...crollTo=320555

Boolit Master

That is very tasteful, Bob...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

That gun is special! I am sure that it shoots as good as it looks.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Thank you guys... Gun and the matching .22 are having the sights milled this week...

I have a 6” gp100 that I want to have converted to .41spl. Problem is everyone that does it is so busy that they don’t have time. Any ideas?

Boolit Master
    Go ahead and send it off, sooner you send it the sooner you get it back But I am assuming they are taking orders????Dave Clements quoted me 14 months, actually only took 9. Most of the wait time is in reboring the barrel.
    You could pickup a Lipseys 5 inch 44special to play with while you wait......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BC0D3923-F1FD-45E5-B221-BBEA47A08B99.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	250044
    41 6 inch then the 5 inch Lipseys and a first year 357 4 inch.
    Last edited by rking22; 10-22-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    A 4" stainless .41 Special GP would be a great gun...I have a 4" 10mm Match Champion and really like it. Have been bugging a couple of the higher ups at Ruger I know about it but until an ammo manufacturer has it SAAMI certified it is a no-go...
    Last edited by RJM52; 10-25-2019 at 09:21 PM.

I haven’t made up my mind whether I want a 4.2” barrel or a 3” barrel. I know I want a .41spl gp100 though. I emailed Dave Clements about a month ago, but got no reply. I know he has work to last him through the year.

Boolit Master
    I read somewhere that Dave Clements is considering retiring, or was that just a bad dream? I really want one of his bearcats, and am very pleased with my gp100 he did!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Had not heard anything about his retiring... Several other big names smiths have either died or retired in the last couple of years...

Got word today my sights are ready for final regulation so will be doing some shooting at my smith's place Monday and then he will finish them up...

Bob

Boolit Master
    For you guys looking for a Marlin Carbine...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/841077996

I have one and it is a great shooter...Bob

Boolit Master
    There were only 251 of these and usually bring well over $2K...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/840839663

Boolit Man
    Actually if anyone's interested in a great lever companion gun to go with their sixgun 41 (since on the topic of leverguns) ... Henry did a hell of a good job on their Big Boy steels in 41! I've put mag's as well as Special's through mine and it works awesome. Readily available too. Great buy in my opinion.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    Actually if anyone's interested in a great lever companion gun to go with their sixgun 41 (since on the topic of leverguns) ... Henry did a hell of a good job on their Big Boy steels in 41! I've put mag's as well as Special's through mine and it works awesome. Readily available too. Great buy in my opinion.
    Agree, added the Big Boy steel in 41 to collection. Shoots well and is very accurate. Now that I've fully recovered from shoulder replacement, this one will see the deer woods this year.

Boolit Master
    I have a mix of 41’s, Bisley Hunter,657 and an FA. All of them pin at .410+.
    Molds from Lyman,Accurate,LBT and NOE. The Lyman 215 has the little lip in front of the crimp
    groove, to small to call a driving band. It will work fine in all of them.

The others are of a a WFN or variation there of. The drop to big and just throw me a fit. I usually sized,lube and check in a .411 die. To get them to work I have to run them through a .410 lee push through. Even then you better shoot them soon or the spring back and won’t chamber, so much for no spring back, lyman#2 with some extra dead soft added.

I am on the fence if I should get them honed to .411?

All the jacketed bullets run fine from Speer Hornady and Sierra.

As to good loads for the 41 magnum, no longer made but may be found around old shotgun shooters, HS7 is by far the best I have found. I was given an 8lb jug some years back probably burned 2lbs trying in various cartridges with crappy results in all but the 41.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    A 4" stainless .41 Special GP would be a great gun...I have a 4" 10mm Match Champion and really like it. Have been bugging a couple of the higher ups at Ruger I know about it but until an ammo manufacturer has it SAAMI certified it is a no-go...
    If we're talking them into a 41 Special I want an SP-101.

Sent from my LG-LS998 using Tapatalk

Page 36 of 62 FirstFirst ... 262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast