Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox
Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Adams View Post
    A few weeks ago I picked up a Charter Arms .41 Magnum Pug (model #74120), which has a 2.5" barrel and weighs in at all of 23-ounces unloaded. That is in contrast to my S&W Model 58 with a 4" tube and which, being an N-Frame, measures a tad over 41-ounces on the scale (also unloaded).

I had long since developed classic 'Police Load' variants for the 58, using HC boolits of 215gns-220gns over Unique, but quickly discovered that the rather tame recoil these loads give in the 58 is completely gone when fired in the Pug ... Charter Arms dresses the Pug in a 'sorta' Hogue-style grooved rubber grip for a reason.

So it is of interest to me to find an accurate, effective load ('accurate,' as much as is possible from a 2.5" snubby) in the mild-ish range of the .41 Special.

I haven't had a chance to try bullets in the Pug heavier than 215gns yet, so I don't know where slugs like the 250gn & 265gn WFNGCs might hit. In my Model 58 - at moderate velocities - they typically hit higher, sometimes significantly higher, than POA. That didn't really surprise me as I knew the front and rear notched sights were regulated for a certain load, and most of my .41 Mag 'Police Loads' do hit to POA with those sights.

The Pug has essentially the same sighting. I was going to start with 6.5gns of Unique under a 250gn WFNGC slug and see where that leads.
    This might be the perfect situation for Trail Boss. I load up a few with it occasionally under 225 lead just for grins.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

Boolit Master
    Just a heads up to fellow 41 enthusiasts, there is a Marlin levergun for sale at a local shop, it’s a 41 mag! Decent shape, just not something on my list. I understand they are kinda scarce so if someone is interested PM me and I will give the shop info. I have no horse in this race, just thought someone might be wanting one.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Just a heads up to fellow 41 enthusiasts, there is a Marlin levergun for sale at a local shop, it’s a 41 mag! Decent shape, just not something on my list. I understand they are kinda scarce so if someone is interested PM me and I will give the shop info. I have no horse in this race, just thought someone might be wanting one.
    Can you give us a rough idea of 'local'?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

Boolit Master
    Columbia Tn 38401zip
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Nick...have you thought about lighter weight bullets in a lightweight gun... I have a Taurus Titanium Tracker that I run bullets 210 and down at 1000 fps or less....

GT Bullets has several HP and WC bullets in the 165-200 grain range.... With .41 Special brass and 5-8 grains of Unique the gun would be much more pleasant to shoot and still take out anything that needs taking out...

The Marlin .41s are rare and nice....most have been selling in the $1200 range lately...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Anyone looking for a Mountain Gun....one of my favorite S&Ws...

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/817917962

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Nick...have you thought about lighter weight bullets in a lightweight gun... I have a Taurus Titanium Tracker that I run bullets 210 and down at 1000 fps or less....

GT Bullets has several HP and WC bullets in the 165-200 grain range.... With .41 Special brass and 5-8 grains of Unique the gun would be much more pleasant to shoot and still take out anything that needs taking out...
    Thanks, Bob. I'll take a look those GT boolits.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Nick i use 5.0 gr of unique with 190 lee swc. For easy on the hand practice and you still know you are shooting something. The grips that come with the pug leave a lot to be desired. Imo they are just to small i tried a set of pachmayr better but still not good then made a set that work much better . But with full power loads its definitely a hand full. I have a touch of arthritis in my hands as such a couple boxes of full power loads is bout all i can stand. But all in all i really like the gun it has quickly become my carry gun of choice.

Boolit Master

I like the GT bullets. But know that most of there line is pretty soft.

I have shot many of them and most all HP will shed the tip past 1300 fps. (If thats a concern.)

I buy them “as cast” and powder coat in flavors I do. Ot have or might lile to try.

I see they are now offering some harder allots but I have not tried them yet.

CW

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Adams View Post
    Thanks, Bob. I'll take a look those GT boolits.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Nick i use 5.0 gr of unique with 190 lee swc. For easy on the hand practice and you still know you are shooting something. The grips that come with the pug leave a lot to be desired. Imo they are just to small i tried a set of pachmayr better but still not good then made a set that work much better . But with full power loads its definitely a hand full. I have a touch of arthritis in my hands as such a couple boxes of full power loads is bout all i can stand. But all in all i really like the gun it has quickly become my carry gun of choice.
    Thanks for the info ... Yeah, I'm not in love with the Pug's one-piece grip either. It's not that it's grooved rubber, but rather its width is too 'thin' to fill my large hand. I need to find something thicker, whether it's rubber or wood.

The only other gripe is the DA pull. In SA mode the trigger's manageable, but the DA is horrific. I'm half-thinking of cutting off a coil or two on the main action spring (on the frame inside the grip).

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I like the GT bullets. But know that most of there line is pretty soft.

I have shot many of them and most all HP will shed the tip past 1300 fps. (If thats a concern.)

I buy them “as cast” and powder coat in flavors I do. Ot have or might lile to try.

I see they are now offering some harder allots but I have not tried them yet.
    In my M58, I primarily shoot coated boolits to keep the leading down. They're accurate enough at 'Police Load' velocities.

In the Pug I've been shooting mostly non-coated 210gn HC boolits I bought in a LGS. The 250gn WFNGCs I mentioned loading up in my earlier post were just for curiosity about what the POI would be out of the 2.5" barrel.

You know that charter arms uses the same grips for all there revolvers what fits one fits all. The grips may be ok on a 22 but definitely to small for a 41.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190621_093428.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	243932
    Left is factory
    Center is pachmayr
    Right is a set i made

Name:	IMG_20190621_092528.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	243933

Name:	IMG_20190621_092539.jpg 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	243934
    These pachmayr are a definite improvement but top rear must be cut down a bit to allow single action fire.

Name:	IMG_20190621_093116.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	243935

Name:	IMG_20190621_093145.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	243936

Name:	IMG_20190621_093205.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	243937
    I made these and they work well was planning to put a small rubber insert in the web area but that didn't go so well so will make another set with out that .
    New set of grips make a world of difference.

You know that charter arms uses the same grips for all there revolvers what fits one fits all. The grips may be ok on a 22 but definitely to small for a 41.

Name:	IMG_20190621_093428.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	243932
    Left is factory
    Center is pachmayr
    Right is a set i made

Name:	IMG_20190621_092528.jpg 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	243933

Name:	IMG_20190621_092539.jpg 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	243934
    These pachmayr are a definite improvement but top rear must be cut down a bit to allow single action fire.

Name:	IMG_20190621_093116.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	243935

Name:	IMG_20190621_093145.jpg 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	243936

Name:	IMG_20190621_093205.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	243937
    I made these and they work well was planning to put a small rubber insert in the web area but that didn't go so well so will make another set with out that .
    New set of grips make a world of difference.
    RB:
    Thanks for the info & pics.

I wasn't aware that C.A. used a 'one-size-fits-all' approach to their factory grips. I see on their website they do offer wood grips.

I like the wood grips you made. They look to be much more 'hand-filling' than the Pug's narrow rubber grip.

They are made from purple heart. And they do fill the hand. I like the looks of the ca wood grips to just not sure of the size.
    Yes the grips on your pug are the same as on a 22.

Boolit Master

Worked with a new powder today... and it was good!

I recently picked up a 2C Saeco 412, 185 grain plain base SWC. I really wish it was a 4C like my 411, but such is life. After casting and PC'ing some I really was not sure what to load them with. I do not like tiny charges of Bullseye, Unique or W231 because the are so dirty. I had 2 pounds of Universal that I had never opened, many years old. Looked over lots of data and decided about 7.3 grains would get a load with decent velocity and no recoil... Loaded 6 and when to the chronograph. Far better than expected. Average fps 1237 with an SD of 1!!! Not sure I have ever loaded anything with an SD of 1 across a full cylinder. They shot very well, all cutting at about 20 yards. No pressure signs, did not even try another load, made 100 of them to try again over the chrono and on paper, recoil was non-existent in my old S&W as well. My daughter may even like these. They did sound odd, mainly supersonic crack and little bang, I guess the powder burned up before leaving the barrel.

Name:	41-185.jpg 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	244489

Name:	41 mag.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	244490

Let us know how it goes i have been using 9 gr of unique full power and 5 gr to plink would be nice to have something cleaner. Thought about trying h110 just for the clean factor.

Boolit Master

Let us know how it goes i have been using 9 gr of unique full power and 5 gr to plink would be nice to have something cleaner. Thought about trying h110 just for the clean factor.
    I would not download H110! Truth be known, I did shoot one more cylinder of these later in the day and they still shot great, did not drag out the chrono for only 6 more. I do get some black staining around the case mouth, but not the soot like you get with Unique. This will be my standard plinker, had been using 16 grains of 2400 and was fairly happy with it but this is a much better load. I think it would push up enough to get a good seal on the mouth. As I said before, the primers are totally rounded, zero pressure signs.

Mattw you are right h110 will not be a plinking load but full power. I just love h110 in my 44. No for the light plinking loads i will probably stay with unique. By the way thats a nice looking gun.

Boolit Master

Mattw you are right h110 will not be a plinking load but full power. I just love h110 in my 44. No for the light plinking loads i will probably stay with unique. By the way thats a nice looking gun.
    Thanks, that has been my 100 yard and down deer pistol for many years. I shoot cast from 185 to 275 in that old girl. I have prettier 41's but just love that one. I load H110 Data powder, picked up 80 or so pounds when I worked with a commercial reloader. It is 10-12% faster than normal H110, the velocity increase is nice in shorter barrels and the recoil is nothing short of not to bad with stiff loads. I have really settled on shooting the old Saeco 411 as mine drops about 232 grains, not 220 as listed and does it 4 at a time.

I have a 3" Lew Horton 41 mag that I can't wait to try the Universal load in. Should get a clean and complete burn without the fireball.

Boolit Master
    Just happened across this .41 Special load data:

https://www.starlinebrass.com/articl...nd-41-Special/

Page 35 of 61 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast