Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Master

Might want to try 2400 instead of H110. 2400 brings the best of both worlds, the recoil is not as strong but the velocity is right up there. With 16 grains of 2400 and a 230 grain cast bullet I am getting 1128fps. The accuracy is really good and in a short barrel the flash is really reduced.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I made a set of grips that fit my hands well so that helped. But you know you are shooting something. I will check out 2400.

Boolit Master
    RED...I would not run either 2400 or H110 in that CA...the barrel is WAY TOO SHORT for efficient burning of either powder and you aren't going to get much more velocity than the loads with Unique you are currently using... Also both powders need to be pushed hard to burn completely...and the fireball you are going to get....hope you don't have a beard....

10.0 of Unique will run a 200 grain bullet over 1200 fps from a 4" barrel... I get 1180 from a 4" and 212 Keith.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Yes i do have a beard and i like it a lot. I had the same problem years ago with a snub nose 44 mag. It kinda looked like a flame thrower with full power loads. Forgot bout that.

Boolit Buddy
    Need a little help with some cast 255gr tumble lube non gas check, these dropped at an average of 262gr. I want to load these up for my Henry Big Boy and Ruger Blackhawk using either 2400 or Unique, please don't recommend other powders as this is what I have and don't want to add another powder to the shelf just for these. My research only comes up with one load for the 255gr non gas check 15.1gr of 2400.

Anyway not looking for max loads just something near the middle of the range for either powder. TIA

7.5-8.0gns of unique
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I don't work much with 2400 but did have one load with a 250 Keith and 15.0 grains that shot well...never did chronograph it...

Unique...start at 7.0 would not go any higher than 9.0. I'm using 7.0 in a .41 Special case with a 250 Keith and is running a little over 1000 fps from a 5.5"...

Bob
    Last edited by RJM52; 05-19-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you both, very much.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

Boolit Buddy
    My last range session I had loaded up a box of 240 gr cast ( accurate 41-240F ) on top of 8.0 grs of unique . Shot these from my Smith 4 & 6 “ barrels . Very enjoyable . That’s the heaviest mold design I have . I tried powder coating my own bullets . The process is very easy but I’m just too old school . I went back to size / lube on my RCBS lubesizer . Regards , Paul

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a good day with a classic revolver. Welcome to the forum, always nice to have another 41 enthusiast! Pictures are always welcome.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy4evr View Post
    My last range session I had loaded up a box of 240 gr cast ( accurate 41-240F ) on top of 8.0 grs of unique . Shot these from my Smith 4 & 6 “ barrels . Very enjoyable . That’s the heaviest mold design I have . I tried powder coating my own bullets . The process is very easy but I’m just too old school . I went back to size / lube on my RCBS lubesizer . Regards , Paul
    Welcome to CB cowboy4evr! It's great to have another 41er on board!

8.0gr of Unique has been my go to for several years now in 41 most often with 225gr cast. The 260ish grain boolits I have are great out of my Redhawk and Blackhawk but I need to get one of the NOE nose sizer bushings before I load them for my Henry Big Boy, just don't feel comfortable forcing the nose into the rifling as my test rounds required more force than I would have liked to chamber.

Would love to see pics of your 41's.
    Last edited by Highway41; 06-09-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Man
    6.5gr Unique (in special-brass) under a 255gr WFN from NOE chronographs 985fps through my 4,3/4" barrel... it's an accurate load & a through n through mid-range "special-load"

6.5 Unique is about the most versatile powder charge I've found in my 41specials with each & every bullet type and weight I could get my hands on ... 215's, 230-240's, and the 255; they all shoot minimal velocity spreads & (all) cluster together in the same bunch downrange regardless of the weight differences. Rare thing.

Henry levers will shoot either-or too, specials (and) magnums, so if you're willing to set some dies for them and try, I think you'll be happy with the results.

Boolit Master
    It is really too bad that none of the big ammo companies load .41 Special....

Of the "Big Three", Remington has only one .41 Magnum load and Winchester one...if it wasn't for Federal and the smaller companies there would be little to nothing on the market....

And if the ammo companies came out with SAAMI certified .41 Special loads how long would it be before Ruger brought out a GP-100 and S&W an L-frame...

...we can wish...

Boolit Master
    Figured I would give something a try...maybe if we all wrote Federal maybe they would at least think about it.... You can write them through the contact link on their website...

Dear Federal,

Would just like to thank your company for supporting the forgotten .41 Magnum. Of the large ammunition companies you have the the greatest variety. I currently use your 180 grain Expander as my carry load in a 4" 57 and the 250 CastCore when in bear country.

There is one thing missing from your .41 line however that would probably be a your biggest seller...and that is a TARGET VELOCITY load. A 210 grain plated bullet at 850-950 fps from a 4" barrel and packaged in an economical box of 50 rounds would sell big time...

The other consideration would be a .41 Special in the same velocity range which is sadly missing from all the large ammo companies roster...

But again thank you for your support of the Forgotten Magnum...

Bob

Here is the link to their Contact page...

https://www.federalpremium.com/support/contact-us
    Last edited by RJM52; 06-14-2019 at 08:53 AM.

Boolit Man
    Bob,

Writing might be an idea. I'm sure if at least ONE manufacturer would ever go ahead and chamber a gun for it, someone like Federal would likely get on the wagon too. Personally, considering Freedom Arms for example, their 97 is a wicked little 41mag but complaints abound about cylinder length ... what an ideal platform for the 41 special

As you & I, and many know, 41special can be loaded from gallery-puff target loads right up to 41mag equivalent levels; and using correct bullets the length wouldn't hinder short cylinders like the 41mag M97 a bit (but still could give 41mag performance) minus the OAL headaches. That FA M97 is a good example of a gun that could benefit. Or the New Vaquero. Or a Colt. GP-100. etc etc

41 special is a do all (& a do even-more) chambering in guns sized or chambered for the great 44 special... and those very guns that are chambered for 44 special but are too light for "heavy" 44spl loads, the extra meat stepping 20-thou down to .41 would open doors for those little packer-guns possibly even able to exceed the maximums they can do as 44's; both by margin of safety AND ability to deliver better payload in instances they're being packed to serve vs wildlife encounters .. still by far trumping the 357 at the same time!!

It's really amazing no company has capitalized on these facts yet nor made the push for standardizing the 41spl. 41 special is really a great little all-around round that can do big things for the smaller framed guns, let alone serve as an off the shelf practice round for the 41mag users already-in 41magnums of different tastes. Shame this round is being overlooked by so many.

Boolit Master
    ranchman...both the FA 97, Taurus Tracker and the new Charter Arms .41 all run better with .41 Special brass... At least Reed's Ammo makes rounds for them... I know a couple of the VPs at Ruger and have talked to them about a GP-100 in .41 Ruger Special...and they said it is under consideration...would be a perfect round for that gun...

Recently bought a 1952 vintage S&W Heavy Duty 4"...it "may" go to Jack Huntington to be rechambered to .41 Special...another is a first generation Colt Trooper 4".... I already have a Uberti Cattleman 4.75" with him that should be back shortly...

If anyone is looking for a proper weight wadcutter for the .41 and doesn't have a mold, GT just added a 175 gr. H&G #255 wadcutter to their lineup...

http://www.gtbullets.com/index.php?m...=index&cPath=6

Bob

I loaded some plinking and beyond test loads today. It's raining so testing will wait.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Not sure about the Bullseye load but the 9.4 of Unique should a little over 1100 fps from a 4" barrel...

Bob

The Bullseye load is mild enough that I was able to catch a bullet in a milk jug full of Frozen water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    As you & I, and many know, 41special can be loaded from gallery-puff target loads right up to 41mag equivalent levels; and using correct bullets the length wouldn't hinder short cylinders like the 41mag M97 a bit (but still could give 41mag performance) minus the OAL headaches. That FA M97 is a good example of a gun that could benefit. Or the New Vaquero. Or a Colt. GP-100. etc etc

41 special is a do all (& a do even-more) chambering in guns sized or chambered for the great 44 special... and those very guns that are chambered for 44 special but are too light for "heavy" 44spl loads, the extra meat stepping 20-thou down to .41 would open doors for those little packer-guns possibly even able to exceed the maximums they can do as 44's; both by margin of safety AND ability to deliver better payload in instances they're being packed to serve vs wildlife encounters ... still by far trumping the 357 at the same time!!

It's really amazing no company has capitalized on these facts yet nor made the push for standardizing the 41spl. 41 special is really a great little all-around round that can do big things for the smaller framed guns, let alone serve as an off the shelf practice round for the 41mag users already-in 41 magnums of different tastes. * * *
    A '.41 Packer-Gun ...'

A few weeks ago I picked up a Charter Arms .41 Magnum Pug (model #74120), which has a 2.5" barrel and weighs in at all of 23-ounces unloaded. That is in contrast to my S&W Model 58 with a 4" tube and which, being an N-Frame, measures a tad over 41-ounces on the scale (also unloaded).

I had long since developed classic 'Police Load' variants for the 58, using HC boolits of 215gns-220gns over Unique, but quickly discovered that the rather tame recoil these loads give in the 58 is completely gone when fired in the Pug ... Charter Arms dresses the Pug in a 'sorta' Hogue-style grooved rubber grip for a reason.

So it is of interest to me to find an accurate, effective load ('accurate,' as much as is possible from a 2.5" snubby) in the mild-ish range of the .41 Special.

I haven't had a chance to try bullets in the Pug heavier than 215gns yet, so I don't know where slugs like the 250gn & 265gn WFNGCs might hit. In my Model 58 - at moderate velocities - they typically hit higher, sometimes significantly higher, than POA. That didn't really surprise me as I knew the front and rear notched sights were regulated for a certain load, and most of my .41 Mag 'Police Loads' do hit to POA with those sights.

The Pug has essentially the same sighting. I was going to start with 6.5gns of Unique under a 250gn WFNGC slug and see where that leads.
    Last edited by Nick Adams; 06-17-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Page 34 of 62 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast