RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Master
    Boogieman...

Unique from a 4":
    8.0/950
    9.0/1100
    10.0/1180

thanks for the answer I've tried 9.5gr of Uniqne under a RCBS 210gr. SWC ,actual 215 when lubed. Crono. 1178 out of a 4 5/8" Ruger
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    thanks for the answer I've tried 9.5gr of Uniqne under a RCBS 210gr. SWC ,actual 215 when lubed. Crono. 1178 out of a 4 5/8" Ruger
    This was my exact everyday .41 load for all my .41 Blackhawks over the years. Perfect balance. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Master
    Nine & one half grs of Unique sounds like a great load.
    Just about the velocity level that's almost perfect for everyday use.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Mold

.41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    This was my exact everyday .41 load for all my .41 Blackhawks over the years. Perfect balance. Best, Thomas.
    Great minds must think alike, because that's my (almost) everything load. 210 xtp, 215 swc , 225 Keith bullet...

And thanks to RJM and others that posted velocity, as I have nowhere within 2 1/2 hrs to use my chronograph, especially the 4" barrel data as my 57 has that length tube.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crono'ed the RCBS 215gr. SWC with 17.0gr. of 2400 got 1243fps ES. 50fps 18fps SD. out of a 4 5/8"BH. This load is warm ,just about equal to 210gr. factory loads.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Anybody have any castbullet data for BE86 in the 41mag? It works great in my 45ACP loads

Boolit Buddy
    Anybody have any castbullet data for BE86 in the 41mag? It works great in my 45ACP loads
    I checked my spreadsheet and none of the 300 or so loads I've collected used BE86. Sorry.
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

Boolit Master
    I have a TON of cast bullet molds and have been trying to standardize loads for certain guns...

For the S&Ws I am looking at the 8-9-10 grains of Unique loads with bullets in the 210+- range. 8.0 with solid bullets for target work. 9.0 with HP bullets for self-defense and 10.0 for hunting with either solids or HPs.

The Taurus Trackers are getting .41 Special cases with 160-200 grain bullets with 6-8 grains of Unique.

The Freedom Arms 654 and custom Gary Reeder 5-shot will get the 250-300 grain bullets for hunting and long range shooting... All loads will be 19-22 grains of H110 depending on the bullet...

As said...I have WAY too many molds but I guess that is the difference between being just a shooter and being experimenter.....

Bob

Boolit Master
    My 657 6in (no dash) 1986

Boolit Master

My 657 6in 1986 no dash

Favorite Smith
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 008.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    Favorite Smith
    I knew I should have avoided this thread- Now I'm sweating the .41 withdrawal. Best, Thomas.

Boolit Man
    Crono'ed the RCBS 215gr. SWC with 17.0gr. of 2400 got 1243fps ES. 50fps 18fps SD. out of a 4 5/8"BH. This load is warm ,just about equal to 210gr. factory loads.
    Is this loaded in Mag-length brass, or Special?

This was using 41mag cases

Boolit Man
    Appreciate it, thanks

Just out of curiosity, to the guys shooting special length brass in an effort to fit long/heavy bullets into some the shorter-cylinder revolvers that don't allow mag-brass to be used because of COAL issues; how fast/hard have you been able to push the heavy bullets in Special brass? Same speeds as with magnum-length, or no?

Why I ask, I recall some posts with pictures showing bullet-ends protruding past the throat ends of cylinders earlier in the thread, and later comments about utilizing special brass to allow those bullets to chamber inside the same cylinder.

(And) besides the instances special brass is used to fit the longer-ended bullets; In Blackhawks or similar strong revolvers, I too am wondering if the specials are capable of bigger performance than just the "special" 1000fps-ish speeds they're typically used for? Anybody have Peak-Special type loads they've ever developed... say nearing that 1100-1200fps bottom ended magnum-range?

Boolit Master

For an article on heavy boolits(bullets in the article), go to the link below. One caution: some of the loads in the article were shot in a custom 5 shot .41 Mag. I have never been tempted to shoot these heavy loads in either my S&W 657 or Ruger Bisley .41 since neither has the special cylinder.

http://www.singleactions.com/files/HeavyFortyOnes.pdf

Last edited by alamogunr; 01-22-2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Caution needed when reading.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I have loaded the .41 mag almost down to .38 Special levels in mag. cases.
    They worked fine. This is a great ctg. & can be loaded way down or way up!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Master
    Ranchman, there are loads like you seek in 2 recent handloader articles. Also there are links to a Tiffin article that lists some stiff 41 special loads in this thread. I'm on a stupid phone or I would try and find you the link, but this thread has lots good reading anyhow
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    type in TAFFIN Tests .41 spec.-- should come up --I have not tried to load my Taurus with mag loads-- not comfortable with that -- the 5 gun is reasonably nice but do not want to push it -- I call it hole puncher-- 6-7 gr of AA2 because I have about a pound of it
    here is a load from a Titanium Tracker .41 -- a .41 230 K by Creeker- 17.5 gr of AA#9 1238 in trimmed cases so the bullet could be seated normally
    Terry Willis wrote that the round was very exciting in a .23 oz weapon-- on Handloads.com

Boolit Man
    Do any of you fellas know whether much Pressure-testing has been done on the 41special? I did read Taffin's Article some time ago, it's a very good article, but I don't recall any mention of chamber pressures.

Brian P. did do a nice article in handloader magazine this past fall on the 41special (but really didn't put his finger on the pressures the loads he listed were making either) I'd be pretty curious to see pressure-data the way he broke down the 44secial data some-years back on 44spl.

May-be a longshot, but has anyone amongst (this) crowd gone so far as having chamber pressures tested or figured-out?

Page 21 of 62 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast