WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 19 of 62 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Master
    A good post on long cylinder .41s...

http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...41-mag-finally

Boolit Master
    Last edited by RJM52; 10-02-2016 at 06:29 AM.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    A quick question for all of you; is the .41 special that is being referred to the same round my old manuals call the .41 long Colt?
    Thanks.

Boolit Master
    No , the 41 Long Colt is a different case. The 41 Special we are talking about is a 41 mag case cut down to 44 Special length. Starline has/had correct head stamped brass in stock recently.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I believe the .41 long Colt is a heel type bullet too similar to the .22 rimfire.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

.41 Colt or .41 Long Colt, the Bullet was only like .386 or so in diameter...the Cartridge Case was around .405 in diameter.

.41 Magnum, the Bullet is .410...the Cartridge case is like .434 or so in diameter.

.41 Magnum is one of the few Hand Gun Cartridges where the Bullet really is the size of the Cartridge name.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank V View Post
    I believe the .41 long Colt is a heel type bullet too similar to the .22 rimfire.
    Early on it was, then it changed to be an inside lube Bullet, and a Bullet which was then the diameter of the inside of the Cartridge case.

Boolit Master
    shot some 208 gr HPgc boolits out of my Tracker-- I was using 8.5 gr of AA#2 have not really tried it out yet as to accuracy but it perceived recoil was sharper than I expected with that lower charge-- the recoil is overall not bad-- between the grippers grips and the ported barrel-- but the sharper recoil surprised me...I have been shooting 12.5-13 grains of AA#9 -- it does have more over all recoil but less sharp-- I try to be nice to this small 5 gun --so hence the noticing of the recoil -- I have been concerned about the air space of AA#2 -- so I may not use it any more-- any thoughts any one--cases are trimmed to 1.15

AA#2 is like tight group, it does not really care if it is lit by a spray or just a spark, it burns quite quickly. We did some testing with some various cartridges both pistol and rifle with powder location, very small quick burning charges.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the replies on the .41 colt.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oyeboten View Post
    Early on it was, then it changed to be an inside lube Bullet, and a Bullet which was then the diameter of the inside of the Cartridge case.
    I think you are correct it was changed later.

Boolit Master
    thanks for the thoughts Ron..

You can also try 6.0-7.0 Tight Group, 6.5-7.0 HP38/W231, 6.0-8.0g Long shot. Now, those may be too low for you, I tested these with our new wadcutter so we would have some basic data for those that re-load. The OAL cart. length with these loads is 1.280, so the bullet is taking up a lot of the case volume. Since you are shooting a more traditional bullet, there is less shank in the case, but that should give you some good starting points. Velocities ran in the 900-1050 area.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    thanks again

Boolit Master
    My "guess" is that the faster burning powder gets the velocity to the same level as the slower burning powder but more quickly therefor the more initial recoil.

Except for "target" velocity loads I don't use anything slower than Unique in .41 and larger cases...

Bob

Boolit Master
    I have been using Titegroup in handgun ctgs for about 6 years now & I really like it. It won't give magnum velocities, but will give very good accuracy with middle of the road velocities. A good powder, it measures through a measure very accuratly too.

Boolit Master
    I have over the years used Herco-- and it does well, as well as 800x and it also does very well --I just happen to have the AA#2--so I am trying to use it. a pound of that is a lot of shootin at 7-8 gr-- I have two different Keiths as well as the hp and solid Mia mold-- the plain base have not performed as well as I would like-- it is ported and that is supposed to be hard on plain base-- -- but the Mia mold gives me four different variations of the same lwngc

Boolit Master
    I've found Herco to be almost as good as Unique.

Boolit Buddy
    I've compiled most of the loads submitted to this thread and some from other online sources and manuals into a sortable Excel spreadsheet. Approximately 200 loads listed.

If you want to receive a copy drop me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you. I really don't have a way to post a link for a downloadable copy that doesn't lose most of it's features. The file is viewable in free online spreadsheet applications like Google Sheets but the sortability feature is not available.

I must stress that you verify these loads before using them and I am not responsible for your use of this data. Use of this information is solely at your own risk!
    Last edited by Highway41; 11-05-2016 at 01:01 PM. Reason: correct free app name

Page 19 of 62 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast