Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Master
    Below is the results of some testing I did back in March. Hope it helps someone out.

March 30, 2015,

Well I have been playing with both PC and plain lubed bullets in my 41 for the past several months in hopes of duplicating the jacketed loads I like to shoot.

So what i have come up with is a couple of the MP molds in the 411 and 413 640 designs. The heavy one drops around 220grs with a small HP, and the "Lite" ones drop at 175'ish, with the large HP and around 185'ish with the small HP. I was hoping these would duplicate the old Remington 170gr SJHP they discontinued years ago.

Well here is a teaser pic of the chrony after running one of the "Lite" 175'ish grain ones over it,

March 31, 2015, 04:25 AM

The Rest of the Story...

The first try with this particular bullet used a 16gr charge of AA-9 with the bullets tumble lubed. This was simply an exercise to see if the alloy would hold up to the load. I had used this same load with another alloy and it shot fine but this was the softer blend and failed miserably.

After rethinking and knowing that it was probably more due to the lube used than the alloy, being I was shooting it up to 1300fps over 13grs of AA-9 in my GP-100 in a 160gr version, I decided to try another test.

I had been reading about the powder coating but hadn't decided I really wanted to give it a go. This somewhat goaded me into it, and the results were rewarding. Initially I loaded up 50 rounds, in 5 round batches. I started with 14grs and worked up to 16. Half I loaded with the powder coated 220gr, and the other half I loaded with plain lead lubed with Carnuba Red.

When I tested these I fired them in order from lowest to highest charges, first the PC, then the plain. After each of the first two shots of each load, the barrel was inspected for any signs of leading, and then again after the final three shots. After shooting each 5 rounds I ran a brush through followed by a dry patch of which neither removed anything more than powder residue.

Following this, I came back and loaded up the "Lite" version, shown above. I decided with these I was going to up the annie and went with a load that I shot with the 170gr Remington bullet several years ago which was 23grs of 296. While I had that powder in the measure I also loaded up 10rounds, 5ea. of the previous coated and plain 220gr ones over 18.5grs of 296.

When tested these all shot wonderfully, but I still hadn't had a chance to set up the chrony so I didn't have a clue as to the velocity. That changed this past weekend when I finally got it set up and ran some for speed checks.

As the picture above shows, the 175gr pills are running at a fair pace of right at 1600fps. That is right in the same ball park I got with the Remington jacketed version. I do have to admit though these don't hold together quite as well as those did. They have shown to shed the nose ring within the first 4-6" of the sand but the bases are still penetrating up to around 10 more inches after that.

The 220gr ones however are rolling back into near perfect mushrooms with almost every one recovered. Usually they have flattened out down to within around 3/8 - 1/4" of the bases depending on if I shoot them into the recovery buckets at 25 or 50yds. While none of this is scientific by any stretch, I have found through a lifetime of shooting into this baby powder type sand that it does render a bullet to a very close resemblance to ones that I have recovered from game. I'm getting just over 1300fps with these which is real close to the load I have been hunting with for the past 15 or more years, using the 200gr Remington SJHP. That load shoots around 2" or less at 50yds if I do my part and has accounted for numerous hogs up to and a bit over 200# with a couple being taken at just over 100yds. I can clearly see that with a little practice this bullet will soon be replacing those if the field performance proves to be on par.

Now that I have the alloy and the velocity working, I just need to find me some hogs to try them out on.

Below are a few of the recovered bullets. As you can see, it is pretty easy to determine the 413640's I shot at 25 verses the ones at 50 due to the length of the shank. As for the 175's, well it really doesn't matter what range I have shot them they end up the same, usually in two or more pieces.

05-05-16

I have been shooting these almost exclusively ever since I posted this back in March. They are super accurate with several powders and duplicate the pictured expansion so regularly it is almost boring to sift them out expecting something to change.

My hopes are that I can find those darned hogs and give them a REAL testing. So far I have only managed to dispatch one young coyote which was snagged in one of our hog snares, and this past weekend I put one of the 220gr ones through a big fox squirrel with a shot just behind the shoulder which left plenty of the meat left to nibble on. (glad I didn't have the "Lite" ones in there.)

This past weekend, the oldest grandson and I set up our "big" plate at 150yds. It is a SS disc out of a 24" butterfly valve we pulled out at work. They were chunking it and I thought WOW what a nice gong to shoot at, and managed to snag it. Sitting with one of the single pole shooting sticks as a rest, we managed to smack it numerous times once we figured where to aim. Thing is I knew to NOT hold over and sure enough if we centered the front sight on the center of the disc, we were hitting about 4" or so low. Those 413640's fly flat and true, now I'm working on loading up more so we can get back out there and do some more of that. It was a hoot. Soon as I get the pic off my phone and reduced, I'll post it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41 175-220.jpg   Chrony of 412640 lite.jpg  
    Last edited by 41mag; 05-05-2016 at 07:48 PM.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Master
    Well as I mentioned here is the pic of the disc,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41 Disc.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	167591

Also here is one of the unlucky squirrel we found packing away my deer feed, had he run off I wouldn't have bothered, but he just stood up on his hind legs and dared me to get out of the truck. Well I did,

Name:	41 squirrel.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	167593
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Got to shoot my 3 screw blackhawk today, shot the 220NOEs well on 13.6 of 2400 (Special cases) 2 1/2 inches with hands rested.Really was there to shoot the GP100, but had to give the BH a try. Only quandry is it's shooting about 7 inches high at 25 yards! Is that normal for the 4 4/8 BH , rear sight is bottomed out? I have a Lee 200 , will see if that comes down next chance I get.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I have the same issue with a bunch of my .41's, due to the slowness of the bullet they impact quite high. You can swap out your front sight for a taller one, or simply compensate by eye.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    It isn't the slowness of the bullet on the older Three-Screws...it is someone at Ruger regulated them all wrong. If you measure a front sight from a .41 Magnum from the 1960s and another from the 70s+ you'll see that the one from the 70s is taller. I've had three early TSs and they were all the same.

The .30 Carbines are the same way. I had the blade on mine milled off and a new blade installed...the .41s were sold.

Also you may try shooting standing unsupported as I have found that using a benchrest will cause my shots to go high with a revolver. I usually shoot from the Keith backrest position when shooting long range or load testing.

Bob

Any gun sighted to some point will shoot high when a bullet is pushed slower (in close range) it is simply a matter of the dwell time of the bullet. It is moving in the barrel for a longer time thus giving recoil more influence of where the muzzle is when the bullet leaves the barrel.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    100% agree....but if you measure the early Ruger Blackhawk front sights and compare them to guns made after about 1970 you will find in this case it is a gun problem not an ammo problem.

Boolit Bub
    Definitely an issue with the early Ruger .41 BH's. Here is a pic of an early 4-5/8 on the left and a later 6-1/2 on the right. The shorty initially shot 8" high @ 25 with the rear sight bottomed out.

Name:	100_0549.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	93.3 KB 
ID:	168615

I was able to modify the rear sight enough to get POA/POI to meet, using RCBS 41-210 SWC.

Name:	100_0550.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	168616

41 Mag load with Alliant Power Pro 300 MP and Rainier 220 grain plated flat point? Several of the other powders I have tried have not really given me the results I wanted. BUT the manuals do not have a 300 MP load for the 41 mag. I have an email into Alliant but until they reply .. Search did not turn up much .. Mostly 44 mag loads .. Thanks .. K

Boolit Master
    Anyone cast any of the NOE 412-237 Kieth bullets? I would like to buy a couple dozen to try and to compare against some from an NEI mold.
    Thanks
    jeff

Boolit Man
    Kdiver, I took an estimate at loads using PP 300MP and fired them in a 7.5" Blackhawk as well as a 20" Marlin. Velocities were decent, with the Blackhawk giving a 170gr Sierra 1414fps, the 210gr XTP 1391fps, Speer's 200gr HP 1398fps and a 230gr Lee cast 1302fps. Only the 170gr Sierra bullet gave good acccuracy, and in the Marlin the same picture developed--interesting to me because it hasn't grouped the other 170gr Sierra loads well at all. I tried out the pound of powder out of curiosity but will be using AA9, 2400 and Lil'Gun going forward. Hope Alliant comes back with tested data.

Boolit Bub
    Cast a couple hundred with my new 41026......haven't loaded any yet.

KO

Boolit Buddy
    KO
    That is a fine looking boolit, where did you get that mold?
    Greg

Sent from my E500A using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by GregP42 View Post
    KO
    That is a fine looking boolit, where did you get that mold?
    Greg

Sent from my E500A using Tapatalk
    It is an old discontinued Lyman mold that I got off eBay after years of looking for one.

KO

Boolit Master
    Nice bullet and nicely cast. I have heard that mold is a pain to cast good boolits with...

I've also read that if one crimps in the crimping groove that the front driving band will not go into the throats of some .41s...

Bob
    Last edited by RJM52; 07-12-2016 at 07:06 PM.

That is a great bullet for the mag and special. Matt's sells them for those that do not have the mold

http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...rgc07v7pjcotk3
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ko41 View Post
    Cast a couple hundred with my new 41026......haven't loaded any yet.

KO

That's a nice looking bullet, what is the weigh?
    Thanks.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Bub
    Bob, there is no problem casting with the 41026. The one that is a real pain in the patootie is the 41027 HBWC.

Frank, the 41026 weighs 205 grains with my alloy ~ 2.5 Sn, 2.5 Sb, 95 Pb.

The front driving band measures .130 on the 41027 and .125 on the 41026.

A couple of samples that have been rolling around on my reloading bench for awhile.

Sorry, I still have not loaded any......been too busy playing with my 44-40s and 45 Colts.

KO

Boolit Master
    Wow,,,,, ko41 have you ever loaded that HB WC upside down???
    Both are pretty bullets, thanks for sharing.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast