Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 41special View Post
    Kgb, well that's disappointing.

That Speer bullet (in HP or SP) was my 1st choice loading my .41 special for years. My thinking was the lead was dead soft & could be counted on to expand into a perfect mushroom at even low impact velocities. With the copper cup protecting the bore from leading. The silvertip looks 100% better!

Thanks so much for posting this information.

I'd want to see some ballistic gelatin results to know for sure, but Noslers are supposed to be dead soft and they matched the Speers pretty closely on my friend's tester. If talking about a self-defense bullet, the Silvertip would be the only way to fly, or maybe one of the all-copper HP's, as they're available as factory loads.

Boolit Buddy

Nosler's have always given me excellent expansion and accuracy to match. I've used them in 41 mags and 45 Colt hog hunting and never had a complaint..except from the swine

Boolit Master
    Got to cast some of the Mehic 265 grain Trueshot clone this week. Decided to try the pentapoint first...looks like 256 grains sized, lubed and gas check in place...about 248-9 bare. Loaded a dozen up with 21.0 grains of H110. Hopefully I'll get out just to check the pressure sometime soon...

This is the 265 I cast last month...a Lee custom mold from one of the vendors over on Single-Actions.com...

Both boolits drop right into the Freedom Arms tight throats no problem...

Bob

Boolit Man
    Good designs, then.

I loaded up some .41Special cases with wadcutters from a past Lee group buy mold and 7.0gr of Titegroup, with the 215V and 7.0 of Titegroup, and the Lee group buy 230gr LFN using the Titegroup load as well as 7.0 and 8.0 of BE-86. Need another powder like I need another boolit mold, but it was a gun show impulse buy for under $20. Who could say no?

Best-shooting was 7.0 of BE-86 and it's at a good velocity through the rifle of 1125fps for PC cowboy silhouette. In the revolver that's 937fps, and I'll have to try it again to confirm accuracy there--pretty cold yesterday. That LFN feeds through the Marlin very well in the full Mag case, no problem with the shorter case, and a friend with .357 and .44 Marlin 1894s tells me the Special length cases present no problems in his rifles either. Some time ago I made up a good round with 265gr Cast performance LFN's and those will just barely cycle through the Marlin in that they work when run slowly. I do like the look of those Trushot castings.

Boolit Master
    21.0 grains of H110 should be about 1300 fps from a 5.5' barrel...and a deer killin' machine.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Wondering how that new Henry in .41 is also going to fire .38 SPL and .357 Magnum!CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master
    Have been looking for a boolit for a 4.25" Freedom Arms Model 97. Have tried a number of different loads and bullets but just never hit on the right combination. Finally tried the Mehic mold (can't remember the number) that throws a 180 grain round nose flap point and has pins for a large HP, small HP and panta point.... With 14.0 grains of Blue Dot the boolits run 1400 fps from a 4" S&W 657. The boolits are pictured above after being recovered from the water test box... Great expansion and they penetrate. So I tried some in the 97 and have decided to make this the official load (until something even better comes along )....

I have a couple hundred rounds of all the boolits loaded and about 200 of the HPs left. Been working on an 8# can of Blue Dot since the mid-1980s and these loads finished it... Now to see if I can find some more before I run out of these....

Bob

Boolit Master
    .41 Special loads for the Taurus Tracker

Like the Freedom Arms 97, the cylinder on the Taurus Tracker line of handguns is shorter than most other models. Not only does this limit the LOA of some cast bullet loads but also impedes the simultaneous ejection of all five round of spent brass at once.

Another possible problem that can occur using standard Magnum length brass that has a bullet seated almost to the end of the chamber is that because the guns are light recoil can cause the bullet to jump the crimp tying up the cylinder.

I have three Trackers. The most used is a 4" Titanium. It has become my go-to hiking handgun. Initial loads were the Winchester 175 Silvertip or handloads of 8.0 grains of Unique under a 210 Berry's plated bullet or a Accurate Molds 41-215V that weights 205 grains and has a .37 meplat. In 2012 was at the SHOT Show and saw the C.O.P. (Copper Only Projectiles) booth and liked the even deeper/wider HP than the Barnes bullets had. When the ammunition finally became available I bought some and tried it my lighter weight guns like the TiTracker and 357 S&Ws... Velocity was under 1100 fps and expanded nicely...recoil was mild. Unfortunately they have now gone out of business although some ammo and bullets are still available at MidwayUSA.

But this still did not solve the problem of ejecting all five long cases at once so decided to use the MiHec bullets in the previous post with 8.0 grains of Unique in a .41 Special case. 7.0 grains with a 210 grain bullet is running in the 1000 fps area so these should run about 1100 which is what I am looking for. Will clock them as soon as the weather gets a little better.

Gun with five rounds of C.O.P. and a Desantis Speed Scabbard for a L-frame S&W.

...you can do "shots" from these...

With two 170 grain MeHic...

Last edited by RJM52; 02-19-2016 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Master
    Length difference....

C.O.P. at 1100 fps and the HP at 1300 fps...

HP and the PentaPoint...

The four bullets from the Mehic Mold...170-177-179-180 grains...

So we shall see how these shoot from the TiTracker....

Bob

ps...I may be wrong on COP being out of business...looks like Midway is out of a lot of the ammo but backorders are ok...
    Last edited by RJM52; 09-22-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    interesting -stuff -- I have the SS version of the .41 Tracker

Boolit Master
    ...I do too and I'm ashamed to say I have not fired it yet....

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mica_Hiebert View Post
    Any recomended loads that will be on the warm side but wont give me the death rings in my ears if I shoot once or twice with out hearing protection?
    Mica...how is the reloading going for your .41?? Have you decided on a bullet yet?

As to shooting without hearing protection...anything is going to rattle your ear drums but something in the area of 6.0 of Unique or 231 should hurt less than others. I like 8.0 grains of Unique with most any bullet for my Smith revolvers...

Bob

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Shot the Taurus TiTracker yesterday with the 170 MeHic HP/8.0 grains of Unique load...5 shots averages 1122 fps...right where I wanted it. Recoil was very manageable. Fired fifteen rounds DA at fifteen yards and all of them stayed in the smooth center area of a 6" paper desert plate...

...would have tested the loads for the FA 97 but left the ammo home....

Bob

Boolit Master

The several posts in the link posted by RJM52 give high praise to a SAECO mold #411 and also mention that it is difficult to find. I assume this means it is no longer available from SAECO. Found one thread here:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...SAECO-411-Mold

Has anyone run a GB on this design, either MP or NOE?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    I believe this is the standard original Keith design...so yes they have been done. The MP buy took two-plus years to come in but it is a great mold.

There is a group buy over at NOE for the updated Keith design but it is on hold as one of their machines is down and has to be replaced.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    Mica...how is the reloading going for your .41?? Have you decided on a bullet yet?

As to shooting without hearing protection...anything is going to rattle your ear drums but something in the area of 6.0 of Unique or 231 should hurt less than others. I like 8.0 grains of Unique with most any bullet for my Smith revolvers...

Bob
    On the back burner, I started the refinish project and found some damage parts inside my gun so I ordered replacements and before they showed up I ended up trading my Hammer to a member here so still waiting on parts. I haven't decided on a mould yet either, might try a Lee swc just to start I have a 180 grain 357, 400 grain 480 ruger and wanted something in the middle of those but now I have a 44 mag as well so now I have a whole different set of whatcha Wana do's?

Moderator Emeritus

Marlin 1894s 41 mag

A few years ago, I loaded 50 Ranch Dog TL411-255-RF PB cast with COWW, TL'd with 45-45-10, and loaded with 19gr. H110. Too Hot, the first ten shots gave my Marlin 1894s some leading. The remainder of that box has been sitting around ever since, to be shot up or pulled.

Yesterday, I finally got around to loading the same boolit design, but with a GC and lubed with SL68B. I loaded some with 15gr. of 2400. This was a much more accurate load in my Marlin, then the H110...Or maybe the GC had more to do with it?

After my accuracy testing, I shot up all the PB/H110 loads, with some of these new GC/2400 loads mixed in, to clean up any Lead fouling that would build up. I finished up with the last 5 rounds of GC/2400 and the bore was nice and clean and the last 5 shoot group was well within my ability with Iron sights.

Next up is loading some of the PB with 7 or 8 gr. of Unique.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast