WidenersRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Master
    personally-- I would have to try some of the bullets you have already made- just to see--
    7gr of Herco, Unique, or 800x normally will shoot very well
    if you have not tried it Herco does real well with cast boolts

Boolit Buddy
    It's been a while since I posted on this thread. Since my last post I went and purchased some nice rose wood grips from here http://www.handgungrips.com/Blackhaw...er/1598/c/3070 they are reference 3277. They are much much better than the factory cheese graters that made the revolver feel like it was trying to squirm loose from your hand under recoil. So friends now I have a new situation on my hands and need to pick some of y'alls brains for your opinions and experiences.

Grouse season opened up here not to long ago and as usual I hit the woods with my H&R single shot 20GA. I was about to cross a small creek when I discovered a pile of bear scat next to the single 2x6 that my buddy calls a bridge (I call it a death trap especially in the winter). There are black bears close to here but this is the first time I ever heard or seen sign of them being in this neighborhood. I knew from that point that my .41 mag was going to accompany me on all of my future outings. I only encountered one other pile of scat while grouse hunting so I thought that the bear was just moving through the area. That certainly was not the case as I found a tree that the bear thoroughly tore up, as well as some old logs nearby that it tore apart as well. I normally use a 215gr SWC over 8.5gr of Unique and I know that this combo will have no problem going through both shoulders of that bear if needed. But my question is would it be more or less effective than a good JHP like the Speer 210gr DC which I have as well?

I have only shot paper with my .41 no animals so I'm not sure what to expect were I to shoot said bear. Can anyone here offer up some personal field results of either of the above mentioned loads? Thanks in advance.

I cannot comment to bear as I have no first hand experience. Deer OTOH, since we are talking meat here, I run either a 230g Keith or 250g WFN. Just really depends on what I feel like and gun I am going to carry (the keiths have a much longer OAL). Either way, they produce through and through shots. The 210g Gold-dot, 210g XTP, and 220g Speer all do just fine but they do expand and do destroy meat on the off side.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    Last edited by RJM52; 10-03-2015 at 06:46 AM.

Boolit Master

I don't think this link has been posted yet but if it has, excuse the re-posting.

http://www.singleactions.com/HeavyFortyOnes.pdf

I only have one heavy .41 mold and haven't used it yet. This article documents actual experience, albeit with only subjective results.

In the past I have only read opinions that the twist in .41's would only support 190-220 gr. boolits(articles said bullets).

I really don't have any interest in such heavy boolits, but enjoy reading contradicting articles.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master
    41 Special would be great in a small package. I load 41 Special loads in my 657 Smith.210grainers @ 950fps

Boolit Master
    I've been shooting 250 to 305 grain boolits in a Smiths, Rugers and FA for several years and there is no accuracy issue. The bigger issue is lack of front sight height especially on Smiths... With the rear run all the way down a 255 CPBC-LBT is several inches above POA at 25 yards with a 4" 57.

Thanks for Lee's article...have not seen that one yet...

Bob

Boolit Master
    a .41 cal SSK mold I had produced a300 gr bullet and it shot fine-- in a 6'' DWA and my S&W
    now I never go over 255-265 or so --on 280 lbs boar the 255 sailed on through-- good enough for me

Boolit Master
    Heads up, there are several 41 molds on the NOE sale list for this week, 15% off I believe!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Boolit Bub
    Went to a gunshow yesterday, dont cry Hillary, found a publication from IMR date unknown. It was mostly shotgun loads, there were some handgun loads in the back that listed Dupont PB. Listed 9.5 gr. for a 210 lead, and 10 gr. for a 210 jhp. By the way didn,t see any violent guns.

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried Cutting Edge Bullets... They are solid copper and come in 135/180 HPs and a 220 solid... The 135 really intrigues me as one could easily run it at 1300 fps and have very little recoil and a LOT of expansion and penetration on two-legged vermin..

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...ey=HGHP_41_135

Over on LoadDate.com there is a lot of data from a HANDLOADER Magazine article. They used a 5.5" Ruger Bisley and got some very high velocities from the 135s...

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
    We have an open order for the .41 Special brass, as soon as we get enough on backorder we'll have a full run made by starline, but they need a min order of 100K in order to do it.
    I hope my name is still on that list I could really use more.

Greg
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregP42 View Post
    I hope my name is still on that list I could really use more.

Greg
    ...I would like to know where "the list" is....

Bob

Boolit Master
    RJM52 thanks for the interesting article -on hunting bear-- which I hope to do-- would never argue with the stated information-- but I do have a question-- with the LWNGC I use I do not get a small hole --at 40 steps it blew the lungs up on a deer --much like a rifle-- the holes in my one and only boar were good inch on entrance-- so I have not seen a pencil through-- but I will remember the info as deer season approaches-- I can make soft points ---hollow points -- or just ACWW which will at least deform

Boolit Master
    The only friend I have who made a good hit on a large black bear with a home cast FP from a .45-70 followed the bear for several hours before loosing the blood trail in the rain. The next time he used a JHP and bear was DRT...

JJ knows his stuff...

Bob

Boolit Master
    It looks that way to me too--may try some cup points this year

Boolit Master
    Many moons ago I had a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" in .41...now I have one even better...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr....#Post10602196

Boolit Master

can you help me out looking for some loads just for this mold Lyman 410459 220gr powder I have on hand 2400 Unique H110
    would like to use on Deer out to 50 yards to 75 yards gun is Ruger BH 4 5/8"
    thanks
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    For H110 I have a simple method... Take a dowel and measure from the crimping groove to the base of the bullet. Then start filling the case with H110 till the powder hits the bottom of the rod. With H110 I've found regardless of caliber if the base of the bullet sits right on top of the powder charge just holding it in place I get the highest velocity with the lowest fps spread, no unburned powder and the best accuracy. I usually use Winchester LP Primers or CCI Magnum.

For that bullet it is right around 22-23 grains.

2400...have not used that much of it because I've found that unless it is pushed hard it leaves unburned powder. With that bullet start at 17.0 grains...

Bob

Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060 ... LastLast