Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Mold
    I'm about to order a mold to feed my 41s. What I have in mind is a 210 gr. RNFP from Accurate molds. I've been told this nose shape will feed well in a lever gun. Loaded to magnum velocity for pistol this is going to produce something around 1700 fps in the lever rifle. What do y'all think, lube or powder coat, with a gas check or no check?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pineknot View Post
    I'm about to order a mold to feed my 41s. What I have in mind is a 210 gr. RNFP from Accurate molds. I've been told this nose shape will feed well in a lever gun. Loaded to magnum velocity for pistol this is going to produce something around 1700 fps in the lever rifle. What do y'all think, lube or powder coat, with a gas check or no check?
    Gas check at that speed, if you lube use a good one, I have used Lars red for my .41s for years, just switched to the blue recently to try it and it works well also.

Greg

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life Member
    "Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety." - Ben Franklin, 1776
    Vis Sis Mis!

Boolit Master
    azrednek...I hear your pain....I had the same problem the first time I tried to cast with the MeHic HBWC... I found the trick the second time I tried was to fully preheat the mold on an electric hotplate and run the metal just a little hotter... Had a great casting session that time...

pineknot... Accurate makes some great .41 molds. If the one you are looking at is the 41-210A that should feed slick... I have the 41-250L and it is a very accurate bullet and feeds great. Have never clocked it from a rifle but from a 5.5" handgun it is running mid 1400s.

From what I have seen Ruger has three new Blackhawks in stainless. The all steel standard grip in 4 5/8" and 6.5" as well as a 5.5" Bisley with an non-engraved non-fluted cylinder.

Make sure you send a letter to the president of Ruger thanking him for continuing to support the .41...they continue to bring out new models...who knows we may one day see a GP-100 in .41 Special...

Bob

Boolit Man
    Over 100,000 reads on this 41mag/41special Thread.. noticed that today

New stainless version Blackhawk too, as already pointed out... been some (with-in the year) recent articles by Bryan Peirce in Handloader on the 41special too.. that's good publicity... (I hope he continues)

I wonder if it's too soon to say there's a re-surgence in the popularity of the 41-cal going on. Maybe a realization of it's true capabilities in comparison to that big ol' famous 44?? As a big fan of the 41, I'm happy to see it. Wish one of the companies would man-up & push to SAMMI certify the "special" yet to open the door to (factory offered) mid-frames for the "handy, easy packing" revolver market to really get the show on the road. It's one of the last few on the non-existent list that deserves its Merits just-like the 44special does.

Boolit Master

After being away from the site for over a year, I thought I would come back. Being a 41 fan, I had to check out this thread, all 26 pages. 41 has been a family obsession since about 1975 when Dad bout a 4" M57 because a buddy of his recommended it. Dad later scored a pristine (maybe a box through it) M58. I so wanted it but Dad's buddy Jimmy got it. Jimmy was an avid caster, ladle poured. We lived about 20 miles down the road where SAECO had their factory in Carpenteria, CA so we went down the road. Dad picked up a 220 Keith style SWC mold, and a bottom pour furnace. Saturdays were shooting days, Sundays were Barbeque and Boolit casting days. Weekdays after school was sizing and reloading. Along the way, Mom got a 5" M27, Dad got an 8 3/8" M27 and later an 8 3/8" M57. Good times.

Boys grow to men, my older Brother John and I went into Law Enforcement. His first gun was a Ruger Security 6, and then a 6" M57. John always talked about getting a S&W 459 for his duty weapon, so when I went to buy my first pistol, I struggled with either a S&W M19 or the 459. I got the 459 so my brother could shoot it. By the time he actually came to visit, he had already picked up a 659. We went shooting and had a blast while shooting similar guns. Somewhere in there, he owed Dad some money, so he paid him with a 6" M57.

I had wanted a Blackhawk in 41, but the longest barrel length was 6.5" and I wanted 7.5" for the longer burn rate/increased velocity. Then Ruger came out with the 7.5" Bisley. Yey! I wrote a letter to Ruger wanting to know if I could order a Blackhawk with a 7.5" barrel seeing as it was just a grip frame change. I got a letter back from Ruger stating 'yes it would be just a grip frame change. You could always buy a Bisley and a replacement frame, and no we won't do that." The letter was signed by Bill, and I still have it.

Dad let me borrow his 8 3/8" M57 so I could work up loads and experiment. Some time a few months later, Dad called to tell me he had scored an 8 3/8" M57 for $300. Yay again! I took his back home, handed him 3 crisp ones, and got my own M57. It was un-fired, the dealer knew it but let dad have it because he was a prolific and loyal customer, as was my brother. Another Officer I worked with whom I had just met and I started talking guns. Mike said he wanted a S&W M57. I replied 'only it it's an 8 3/8" M57. We were fast friends from that day, and still are this day. Good times.

I worked up a load for my M57 that was pleasant to shoot in mine, but dad said it stung in his 4" pistol. He uses the factory stocks, I immediately replaced mine with a Hogue monogrip. I had a M10 4" that i had put a Hogue grip on and loved it. I was shooting one time with Mike the officer, and Mike a Lieutenant. He commented he had seen wooden grips like mine (rubber) carved by a high school buddy. I told him it was a Hogue grip, Lt. Mike said "I went to school with him." Small world, small story detour.

Marlin seems to only catalog their 1894 every 5 years or so in 41 so when I read they had made another run. I drove over to my local gun shop and had him call Buckeye, his usual supplier. They had 2, I ordered 1. After thinking about it, I went back to order the second one. It was already gone. Oh well. I love that lever gun, but it did not like Dad's Long Keith style boolit. Heck, it barely fit in the M57. Dad seated it to the shoulder for his loads so it wouldn't be too long. John had bought an RCBS 210gr SWC mold, and I bought a SAECO 220 TC GC mold. A few years ago, I picked up a used Lee 195 SWC but haven't cast for it yet. When I do, I'll probably Tumble Powder Coat and run it over the same 9gr Unique and see what happens. The SAECO TC mold I figured would feed like butter, and it does. Dad liked his loads with 8gr of Unique, and I loaded to 9gr. I was getting a solid 1250 out of the 8 3/8" and I don't know out of the Marlin as I didn't chronograph it. That same Boolit over 20gr of 4227 was an impressive 1450 and I don't know out of the Marlin. I can only guess that the Marlin will be as similar to the improvement I saw between a 4 5/8" Vaquero 45 Colt and a 20" NEF Classic Carbine also in 45 Colt, another fun rifle/pistol combo. Now if I could just get a NEF frame and have a stubbed barrel made for 38-40W to go with the 4 5/8" Vaquero also in 38-40W. Yet another short detour.

41 Rem Mag sure has it's allure. Along they way I have had 6 different co-workers who also got hooked on the 41. I ask, is it a sickness? Probably. Thank fellas for the 26 pages so far. Frank
    Last edited by fcvan; 01-07-2018 at 01:56 AM.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ranchman View Post
    Over 100,000 reads on this 41mag/41special Thread.. noticed that today

New stainless version Blackhawk too, as already pointed out... been some (with-in the year) recent articles by Bryan Peirce in Handloader on the 41special too.. that's good publicity... (I hope he continues)

I wonder if it's too soon to say there's a re-surgence in the popularity of the 41-cal going on. Maybe a realization of it's true capabilities in comparison to that big ol' famous 44?? As a big fan of the 41, I'm happy to see it. Wish one of the companies would man-up & push to SAMMI certify the "special" yet to open the door to (factory offered) mid-frames for the "handy, easy packing" revolver market to really get the show on the road. It's one of the last few on the non-existent list that deserves its Merits just-like the 44special does.
    I'm doing my part by adding to the inventory!!!!

Boolit Master
    fcvan...that is a great story...thanks for sharing...

Bob

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Just picked up a 10" .41 barrel for my Contender. Not sure what's going to work best in the 10" barrel but I have half a dozen molds and with the ton of info on this thread it should get me going in the right direction soon enough! I think the TC will be a great platform for the .41.

Boolit Master
    Need a lighter shorter cylinder to take advantage of the 41 Special

Boolit Master

My brother has a 10" Contender barrel. In our experience, anything that works well in the shorter barrels work better in the contender, even better still in my Marlin. I never figured on working out 41 loads for any one but for everyone. I mostly use Unique and 4227 for the 41.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Have had a 10" Contender barrel since the 1980s I think....maybe 90s... Never have shot any cast bullets from it however.

Some velocity comparisons:

26 grains of H110 with a 170 Sierra JHC

5.5" Ruger Redhawk: 1536 fps

6.5" Ruger Blackhawk: 1860 fps

10" TC Contender: 1875 fps

14" TC Contender: 1980 fps

20 Marlin: 2050 fps

The below were all shot on the same day...

Remington 210 SP factory load:

4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk: 1345

6" S&W 57: 1350

14" TC Contender: 1650

20 Marlin: 1780

Federal 210 JHP factory:

BH: 1345

S&W: 1350

TC: 1650

Marlin: 1705

13.0 SR4756/210 Hornady FMJ

BH: 1305

S&W: 1310

TC: 1530

Marlin:1540

7.0 Winchester 231/210 Hornady FMJ

BH: 870

S&W: 817

TC: 935

Marlin: 935

23 grain H110/210 Hornady 210 FMJ

BH: 1355

S&W: 1350

TC: 1820

Marlin: 1850

13.0 grains Blue Dot/210 Hornady JHP

BH: 1025

S&W: 1060

TC: 1450

Marlin: 1416

The slower burning H110 makes a big difference when shooting longer barrels...

Bob

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter6br View Post
    Need a lighter shorter cylinder to take advantage of the 41 Special
    The Freedom Arms 97 and the now discontinued Taurus Trackers in either titanium or stainless steel have short cylinders and make a great .41 Special....

Bob

Boolit Bub
    I've been looking for a lighter load for extended range shooting with a 215gr commercial cast LSWC (SnS Casting). I tried 6.0-6.5 gr of Trail Boss. That worked very well. But at indoor ranges it smells like the feet of 1,000 teenagers. For outdoor ranges it's O.K. I'm not that wild about Trail Boss so I kept looking.

Then I went to Universal and started working down from the 6.5gr starting load. Didn't have to go far. 6.0 gr Universal seemed to be working really well (I was shooting off-hand) when........I got lucky......now if I could just do that 45 more times in a row....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171221_154643.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	211369

Boolit Buddy

For the light-medium load, the best I found was 7.9 Power Pistol with a 210 cast. Out of the 5.5 Ruger it averages 1079 with an extreme spread of 22 fps. This load burns very clean and groups at or under 2" @ 25 yards. Never shot it indoors but never noticed any smell outside.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walnut1704 View Post
    I've been looking for a lighter load for extended range shooting with a 215gr commercial cast LSWC (SnS Casting). I tried 6.0-6.5 gr of Trail Boss. That worked very well. But at indoor ranges it smells like the feet of 1,000 teenagers. For outdoor ranges it's O.K. I'm not that wild about Trail Boss so I kept looking.

Then I went to Universal and started working down from the 6.5gr starting load. Didn't have to go far. 6.0 gr Universal seemed to be working really well (I was shooting off-hand) when........I got lucky......now if I could just do that 45 more times in a row....

Name:	20171221_154643.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	211369

I have a 6" 657, some Universal and a few moulds to play with. Hadn't thought about using universal in the 41. Will now..

Boolit Buddy
    Was wondering if someone has any links to MiHec's 41Mag results. I have been shooting the 200gr HPs but recently cast some solids. They are weighing 225.5-226 with GCs and lube. I'm getting ready to work on loads for my Marlin and need to do some reading.
    Thanks for any help

Boolit Bub
    I guess I could toss in my 2 cents.

I've never owned, nor shot a 41,,, Special, or otherwise...

Closest I ever was, was to find a fired .41 cast bullet in the attic of an old farm house when I was a kid.
    Somebody had apparently shot it through the roof,...where the bullet lay, "cold and still," till I found it.

Bullet was a Lyman 220 grain cast...
    Setting that aside:
    Were I to pick an ideal ctg./pistol combination for my hikes, it would be a .41 Special, in a Colt SA, with a 5.5 inch barrel.

The pistol's hammer spur would be lowered so I could see over the sights, and the gun would be tuned to a crisp 3.5 pound trigger. The pistol would be "gunsmithed" for a short hammer fall, and all the chambers to be trued to fit the barrel/bullet/throat.
    As for a load, I would pick the .41 Special ctg. case.
    The cast bullet would have a bevel base, and a flat nose, of LBT profile, at a weight of around 200 grains in Wheel weights.

Powder; to be Unique, with a charge to give a velocity of about 1000 fps with the 200 grain cast bullet.

I would sight the Colt in, to cut center, at 20 yards, ...and I would carry it in a cross draw holster with a ctg. belt, and pretty much be done with it.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by robert12345 View Post
    I guess I could toss in my 2 cents.

I've never owned, nor shot a 41,,, Special, or otherwise...

Closest I ever was, was to find a fired .41 cast bullet in the attic of an old farm house when I was a kid.
    Somebody had apparently shot it through the roof,...where the bullet lay, "cold and still," till I found it.

Bullet was a Lyman 220 grain cast...
    Setting that aside:
    Were I to pick an ideal ctg./pistol combination for my hikes, it would be a .41 Special, in a Colt SA, with a 5.5 inch barrel.

The pistol's hammer spur would be lowered so I could see over the sights, and the gun would be tuned to a crisp 3.5 pound trigger. The pistol would be "gunsmithed" for a short hammer fall, and all the chambers to be trued to fit the barrel/bullet/throat.
    As for a load, I would pick the .41 Special ctg. case.
    The cast bullet would have a bevel base, and a flat nose, of LBT profile, at a weight of around 200 grains in Wheel weights.

Powder; to be Unique, with a charge to give a velocity of about 1000 fps with the 200 grain cast bullet.

I would sight the Colt in, to cut center, at 20 yards, ...and I would carry it in a cross draw holster with a ctg. belt, and pretty much be done with it.
    That right-there is Good taste* ...on that platform a guy can shoot anything from powder-puff easy going target loads, right up to full-powered Special's nippin' at 41mag performance too... (if you wanted)

Covers all bases in one nice light outfit. Great pick.

Boolit Master

FYI-Charter Arms just announce a .41 Mag Pug in their line up a SHOT this week. Not on their website yet but looks like this one.

Name:	73520_MagPug_SS_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	212833

CD

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast