Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 39 of 62 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

There's a bunch of 41 mag load data in the new Handloader Mag. (Feb 2020) I just got today.
    Last edited by Minerat; 12-27-2019 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Fixed year

Wow, your mail is slow. 18 years? lol

Lol, yup just wishing I guess. I'll fix it.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Read that aricle...some good loads with new powders... He did one several years ago with lots of great loads also...

Picked up two new .41s two days before Christmas while I was visiting my mom...

1990s vintage Ruger Bisley and a 2014 SBH Hunter... I have had both in the past but let them go...probably keep these for a while...

Both were LNIB with all the paperwork...the Hunter even had a 4 power Weaver scope...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF6695.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	253885

Name:	DSCF6696.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	253886

Name:	DSCF6697.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	253888

Boolit Master

I've spent the last couple of days re-reading this thread when I found the time. Along the way I made a few comments. It kind of inspires me to pull out my M57 8 3/8", and the Marlin 1894, and just take them out for a little recreation, not just pull them out and wipe them down.

I haven't cast anything in a while as had loaded every shell case I had, my brothers, and for others. Well, I have some to reload but noticed none of them were in 41 Mag. During the re-read, I took mental inventory of the various molds we have. I remember that 30 or so years ago I stuck to one mold for everything. Such things cost money and so I didn't splurge. A 9mm mold got used for 38 because it worked, etc.

Dad bought the SAECO long nosed Keith mold because that was recommended and back in the mid 1970s, SAECO was 20 miles away. It worked well but the meplat was darned close to the cylinder face. My brother bought the RCBS 215 SWC because he is loyal to the brand and he had a 6" M57 and a 10" TC Contender. The SAECO Keith would not feed in the Marlin unless you seated mid way on the front driving band. So, I bought the SAECO 220 TC GC to ease in loading in the Marlin.

I did not originally own my M57 for many years. Back when Dad first got his he also scored an M58. Man oh man, I thought I was going to score. My brother wanted a 6" with adjustable sights so things were looking good. Well, Dad's friend who got us into casting and reloading (he was still ladle pouring his) was also the same guy who encouraged Dad to get an M57. His friend had a Python 357 and Dad sold him the M58. Oh well.

Dad's typical load was 8 grains of Unique as he had a 15 pound cardboard keg, price on the side was 45 bucks. Why not? I don't know what my brother loaded for powder, but he was likely using Unique at 9 grains, as did I. We were both in our early 20s and felt the 'need for speed.' I recall Dad shooting some of my loads in his 4" and saying 'that stings.' I had him shoot the same through my 8 3/8" which tamed it considerably. Well, that and I put Hogue rubber grips on mine before I ever shot the thing. Dad said he preferred the wood grips. I told him they started out as carved wood and were made about an hour and a half away. He never did change his grips. I thought about a 'fathers day' thing between my brother and I but we never did.

A few years ago, a soldier returning from the sandbox was scrounging gear. He couldn't find anything as this was during the dark years of no ammo or gear just about everywhere. Remember primers being $50/1000? Anyway, I had some extra dies in 45 ACP, a Lee mold for the 200 SWC (i bought it, shot it, but had stopped using it) so I asked him 'whatcha got?' He had horse traded for various things having come up with a Lee 195 SCW and a rather abused SC 429-208 WC. I didn't have a 44, but My wife now does. I already had another C429-240 SWC and sizing dies for a friends Bulldog. It was a good trade as far as I was concerned as He Served the US and I didn't.

Anyway, I feel like going out and 'emptying some cases' and doing an 8 grain Unique load with the 195 SWC, it will probably be like shooting a 38 in that big old M57. My brother said 'I'm in' as soon as it stops raining. I might even post pictures
    Last edited by fcvan; 01-13-2020 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling, punctuation, the usual
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master
    Great history!!! And let us know when you make it to the range....

I am also a guilty party when it comes to not having shot my Marlins...for a while... Need to get them out as I have tons of ammo loaded for them...

Bob

Yesterday got the new front sight installed a S&W partridge style with a height of .278" worked out perfectly. About an hour of file work to fit the Taurus slot and to drill the retaining hole. Here's the finished product.

Everyday carry load info.

Starline 41 Special brass
    14.0 grains of 2400
    215 cast SWC HP
    Winchester WLP
    Average velocity 1033 fps

Was able to get my heavy load zeroed as well, that's a hardcast 250 grain @ 1250 fps.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20200118_54158.jpg   IMG_20200118_29996.jpg  
    Last edited by 41special; 01-18-2020 at 05:08 PM.
    Cast it, load it, send it.

Boolit Master
    Very nice sir!!!!!!

Maybe one of you guys can help me out. I am going to start assembling some stuff for a custom 41 spl flattop. The gun will be a bisley, blued, 5 1/2” barrel band barrel. My initial thought was to get a 357 nm flattop and a brass bisley grip frame from Ronnie Wells. Is this the best cost effective way to go? Or should I get a 44 spl nm flattop bisley and have a cylinder and barrel done? Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any and all info!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Best person I know of...and there are several excellent smiths, is ask Jack Huntington at JRH Precision.

If you go the .44 Special route and have the custom cylinder and barrel made it will probably be faster than having the barrel rebored by JES....it takes quite a bit of time... Jack did a cutom Uberti Cattleman for me last year. I started with a .357 and had it rebore/rechambered. It took several extra months due to the reboring turn around time.

There is what appears to be a Ruger 41 Magnum cylinder on ebay right now for short money...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/41-Magnum-C...kAAOSw4PBeJQCf

Not sure if this could be shortened to fit a Flat Top or not...

Bob

Boolit Master

Wheelguns 1961 You are probably on the right track. I'd consider trying to find a pull off Ruger .41 magnum barrel. They show up pretty often. If you locate one it will speed up your build. A .41 barrel blank can also be fitted. Your mid frame .357 or a 3 screw could be done pretty quickly if you didn't have to wait for a rebore. Just an idea that occured to me..........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Thank you both for your thoughts. I kind of wanted to try a brass grip frame, but it is not a deal breaker. If I pick up a longer 41 mag barrel, it could be turned down with an integral barrel band. I guess the parts that I come up with will determine my direction.

Boolit Master
    If you want a banded barrel I would just have the barrel made... Jack does those all the time. Probably cheaper than having an existing barrel modified...

Sorry!

Boolit Master
    I hoped we would be able to keep anything .41 here...that is why I started this thread with the approval of No1...and he made it a sticky.

Anything related to the .41 is welcome:
    Pictures of cast boolits and molds
    Personal load data with chronograph results
    Pictures of guns
    Pictures of range sessions or hunts
    Posts on other boards dealing with .41s
    Online articles dealing with .41s
    Loading data found online

Having discussions about custom .41s and sight modifications to .41s would just get lost elsewhere...

Bob
    Last edited by RJM52; 01-22-2020 at 05:54 AM.

Bob, if you are OK with it then, I'll let it go, just did not want it to get out of hand by going down a gun discussion hole. I withdraw my comment.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Just as an example of what can be done. I have a Colt 2nd Gen New Frontier that arrived at Alan Harton's shop on Monday He is going to make a short barrel .41spl holster gun of it. A new .41 barrel and a cylinder ream and a set of one piece grips is in it's future...........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master
    Minerat...thank you very much.... To me anything .41 goes here....

Boolit Master
    dixie...I came close to doing the exact same thing...the two base guns that I have bid on have just gone a little higher than I wanted to spend...

Was going to go with a 5.5" barrel but since I already have the Shooting Master with a 5.5" barrel will probably go 4.75"...

So, does this sound like an economical plan? Get a 357 flattop donor gun, and a rw brass bisley grip frame. Have the smith make the banded barrel and rebore the cylinder. Of course there are many more specifics, but this should get me looking for parts. Should I pickup a pc of barrel blank .410”? Or should I wait and find out what the smith has. I am also thinking Jack Huntington, but haven’t talked to him yet.

Page 39 of 62 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast