RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Master

CD... why did you have to go and post that?

Being a 41 Mag fan and been considering getting a Bulldog 44, now I have changed my mind. Thanks!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    CD... why did you have to go and post that?

Being a 41 Mag fan and been considering getting a Bulldog 44, now I have changed my mind. Thanks!
    I've got a 1969 dated Bulldog and now I HAVE to order a Pug Mag too!!!

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Bub
    Do those zinc bullets leave any (leading) type residue? What would be a good starting plinking load be? I have unique; bullseye and titegroup on hand.

Boolit Bub
    Trimmed some 41 Mag brass to make 41 Special's. Loaded them with IMR 4227 and Nosler 210 gr. Jhp (tested a group yesterday in my Taurus and Blackhawk)
    Waiting for my Charter Arms 41 Mag to get in will be used primarily for the special.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by birddog 6 View Post
    Do those zinc bullets leave any (leading) type residue? What would be a good starting plinking load be? I have unique; bullseye and titegroup on hand.
    Yes, it looks like what you get after shooting a jacketed bullet but is silver instead of copper color. There was some streaks on the lands but nothing really in the grooves...cleaned up just like light leading.

The bullets are very long for their weigh so take up a lot of what was dead air space... Starting load for any 210 jacketed bullet will work. I've tried 8 and 10 grains of Unique and neither showed any pressure. Since these are just going to target grade loads for the short guns and looking back probably should have used 7.0 of 231.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywan45 View Post
    Trimmed some 41 Mag brass to make 41 Special's. Loaded them with IMR 4227 and Nosler 210 gr. Jhp (tested a group yesterday in my Taurus and Blackhawk)
    Waiting for my Charter Arms 41 Mag to get in will be used primarily for the special.

.41 Special brass from Starline is all I use in my Trackers but I am mainly using cast bullets. If I get a CA it will get Special brass also.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    .41 Special brass from Starline is all I use in my Trackers but I am mainly using cast bullets. If I get a CA it will get Special brass also.
    I am waiting for the 41 Special brass from Midway also

Boolit Man
    Have any here had a New Vaquero turned into a .41 Spl/Mag? I've got a .357 NV and take-off .41 Blackhawk barrel of 6.5", would be interested in a .41Spl NV of 5.5".

Boolit Master

I’ve got a Ruger BH in 41 Mag that I really love to shoot. Now it just crossed my mind about getting another cylinder chambered in 41 Special. Was wondering if anyone makes or modifies cylinders for this purpose?
    Last edited by Uncle Grinch; 11-07-2018 at 09:11 AM.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I got a charter arms 41 mag pug a couple months ago and just love it. It does work on my arthritic hands though. The only complaint is with the grips they are to small put on a set of pachmayrs and they help but just finished making a set of grips out of purple heart that actually fit my hand. Just putting on the final coatings . Can't wait to try them out. Some of the people at the range arnt big fans of it though. The low roof on the pistol range kinda amplifies the noise. Have had some claim they can feel the concussions at the far end of the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    I’ve go a Ruger BH in 41 Mag that I really love to shoot. Now it just crossed my mind about getting another cylinder chambered in 41 Special. Was wondering if anyone makes or modifies cylinders for this purpose?
    Mike,

I got some of the first run Star 41 Special brass and they work just fine in my BH mag cylinder. They are just like using 38 in 357 or 44 spec in 44mag or 45 colt in 454 Casull. I even run them in my Henry lever action 41 mag.
    Last edited by Minerat; 09-23-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    I pick up my second 41 mag tomorrow. The new one is a 5 1/2” Ruger Blackhawk Bisley.
    The first one is a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter. Im looking forward to the shorter barrel.
    I only have one mold for now but its a NOE 413-230 LFN.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Mike,

I got some of the first run Star 41 Special brass and they work just fine in my BD mag cylinder. They are just like using 38 in 357 or 44 spec in 44mag or 45 colt in 454 Casull. I even run them in my Henry lever action 41 mag.
    Steve, thanks... I realize what you are saying, I was just trying to bypass the buildup issue using the shorter cases in a standard chamber.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Mike, I kinda figured that but thought I'd it just in case. I'll be interested to see if you find a source for a short cylinder. Maybe find a BH 38 and have it reamed to 41, but just a guess? Good luck.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    The buildup issue is usually a nonissue... When I have shot .38s in a .357 I just used a brass brush or some brass Choreboy wrapped around a brush on an electric drill...removes everything safely in about 20 seconds per chamber....

kgb..I have thought about converting a NV into a .41 but since I have a Freedom Arms 97 that is smaller just have not bothered... If you have a .357 NV Jack Huntington of JRH Gunsmithing can rebore and rechamber the gun into a .41 Special...

Bob

Boolit Master
    ..if you are a .41 lover and don't want to cry, don't open this... This 57 "was" probably one of the first 57s made as it was salesman's sample....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790084112

Serial number is S236945 shipped March 12th, 1964

Look close and you can see that the barrel was rebored and shortened as the ".44" on the barrel is a restamp... The cylinder was probably also rebored rather than replaced.

...Cryin' shame....

Boolit Master
    "How to turn a 2000$ gun into a 200$ gun in 3 stoopid steps" I suspect this idea came up after dirty harry made 29s the thing to have. Too bad, but it makes the others worth more....( I am working on being an optimist)
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    rking...does that "44" stamp look original to you? The seller said his gunsmith said it is an original M-29 barrel and cylinder.... I went over to GunBroker and looked at some older 29s and the 44 is of the same type and depth of stamping as the "MAGNUM"...doesn't look that way to me on his gun.

That and you can tell by the poor installation of the front sight it is a pre-1968 barrel as the base and ramp are all one piece. The smith who shortened the barrel didn't even use the two pin attachment that S&W did at the time. My Smith smith, who was trained at the factory, shortened a muzzle damaged 1964 57 from 6" to 5" and made it look original. You can see from the pics this smith only used one of the attachment pins and the rear of the sight base stands up from the rib.

I was thinking about buying and restoring it to as original as I can make it...maybe turn it into a 4.5" as I already have 1964s in 4-5-6 and 8 3/8". There are a few 4.5" M-29s out there which were the suggestion of Elmer Keith to a couple of people who asked him about a custom barrel length.

Boolit Master
    Something wierd there, I am used to the stampings " matching" on factory marks. Something odd about the barrel to me, guess it's just the shortened barrel. I see it closed with a reserve above 505$, more than I would gine cor a project. Been watching for a nice N frame 41. For me, nowdays, the hunt is most of the fun!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    For those looking for a heavy cast bullet....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789761149

Page 30 of 61 FirstFirst ... 202122232425262728293031323334353637383940 ... LastLast