Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 22 of 62 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: .41 Magnum / 41 Special Load Data Center

Boolit Master
    Ranchdog has done 2 load notes on the 41 special with NOE bullets. This is QUICKLoAD DATA not actual pressure tested data. I would also really like to see some actual pressure data. Anyway , here's the link to the calculated data
    http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/data/NOE/PDF/40/
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Ranchdog has done 2 load notes on the 41 special with NOE bullets. This is QUICKLoAD DATA not actual pressure tested data. I would also really like to see some actual pressure data. Anyway , here's the link to the calculated data
    http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/data/NOE/PDF/40/
    That's interesting rking, I think I have that exact 237 mould he used in Quickload, I'm working on some loads with it right-now! Exactly what the true-pressures are definitely have me intrigued, I think it be priceless for somebody with the means and access to such machinery to put aome through a lab.. kill the curiosity on what (at least) the common Powders & bullets are making for pressure.

Brian Pearce usually has his loads pressure tested. Maybe not all of them, but he does refer to psi in his articles. As always, start low and work up with caution to the max in your gun... if the max is even needed.

Boolit Master
    I really like Brian Pearce he writes great articles.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Man
    He did a good article on the 41special this past fall, but really didn't break down the pressures like he has in the past (thinking of the 44special article from some time ago) That-one was excellent for pressure data.

I'd be tempted to get in touch with him to see if there was any testing done, just not published, when he put the 41-article together. Anybody know where to write such a letter, that would get to him? Wonder if he reads these boards.

Boolit Master
    JMHO-- there should be contact info either in the mag it self or on their web site--?
    the Ranch Dog link listed above has pressure for the loads listed
    Last edited by GLynn41; 02-10-2017 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Just posted a group buy for a short nose .41 250g GC if anyone is interested.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

The 2 part 41 Spl series Brian Pearce wrote in Handloader has a lot of data for loads he says register up to 36,000 psi and above. Not something I'd want to run in a converted GP100 or OM Single Six, to be sure.

I wish he had separated loads by pressure, too. He did that in his 44 Spl and 45 Colt articles.

I imagine the bulk of my shooting will be with a 210 at 900 fps. Although a 220 at 1200 fps would be nice on a river frequented by black bear.

Boolit Buddy
    Can someone tell me what issues of Handloader magazine have articles on 41 spl/mag. My Google-fu isn't getting me anywhere.
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

Boolit Mold
    October 2016 and December 2016

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    What gas checks do they use?
    Quote Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
    Just posted a group buy for a short nose .41 250g GC if anyone is interested.

Hornady and Gator both work fine.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master
    Also a 41 mag article with lots of loads Aug/Sept 1995, Handloader#176.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

I'm going to have to look back into my old issues & see if I can find that article.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you.
    Fast is fine but accuracy is final.

Boolit Master
    Gas checks were motioned above -- I have an NOE .41 cal and a Mihec .41 cal and multiple pins for both
    I have used and and have some of the thin .41 Lyman gc-- I do not use then any more and hope to never use then again _ prefer
    the .416 checks -- the thin .41s are very easy to damage in seating the bullet into the case after which they most then be pulled

Agreed, The old Lyman checks are a pain. The newer Hornady and Gator both lock on the base so they won't fall off even in bottle necked brass.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by dougader View Post
    The 2 part 41 Spl series Brian Pearce wrote in Handloader has a lot of data for loads he says register up to 36,000 psi and above. Not something I'd want to run in a converted GP100 or OM Single Six, to be sure.

I wish he had separated loads by pressure, too. He did that in his 44 Spl and 45 Colt articles.

I imagine the bulk of my shooting will be with a 210 at 900 fps. Although a 220 at 1200 fps would be nice on a river frequented by black bear.
    I agree, wish he'd have broke those loads down into pressure groups just like that old article on the 44special.

It's totally speculation, but I'd almost bet the comment he made about 36,000 likely is tied to the stiffest jacketed loads. The jacketed designs tend to seat deeper (and) cause more resisitence when fired through the rifling, and (pretty well always) make more pressure than Cast does. But, like I said, just speculating on that. I doubt the lead loads were doing 36,000...

Maybe with any luck there could be a PartIII on the Special ! Hint-Hint (Brian.. if you read this)

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up

Great thread guys, thanks for the read! Lots of good data here, I now have a few loads I want to try for my "new" toy;

New Model Blackhawk in 41 Mag. Dates to 1983. By no means vintage, but its got a few miles on it to be sure. Its been well used, and even abused some, but its still a solid smooth action, nothing at all wrong with it. Not bad for a free gun.

Yes, I said free.

Few Months ago I was talking to a buddy, asking about a shotgun he has, an old double barrel side by side 12ga. Great shooter, nothing fancy but a good brand("Fox" and something), well worn... Was looking to borrow it for 3 day mens retreat some of us from church are were going to that weeked-- I don't own a shotgun, but they were doing some skeet shooting. IF he had it back together-- it had a ammo magazine in the buttstock, and a few years ago at the range a round in the stock went off under recoil; blew the stock in half, putting wood shrapnel into his shoulder and forearm in the process... Was apparently "entertaining" in a less than fun way..

I love that gun having had it to the range before that.. I've been wanting to talk him out of it for a while, but figured I'd at least borrow it. He doesn't have it back together though. (if it goes all winter without him finishing it I'll finally ask him if he'll part with it)

Anyway, that led to talking about other project guns he has, and has had, and some others he's not doing anything with, like this 41. I was actually going to try to buy this revolver mid summer, when I remembered that his son had it but rarely shoots anymore; Thought I could pick it up cheap.. But I forgot about it then. Turns out they traded guns a while back and my buddy now had it.. Cut to the chase; Basically he has no use for it, and said if I thought I'd use it, I could have it...

Came with 8 rounds of Winchester platinum tip w/ the 240 bullet.. I just know they're gonna be wrist breakers... lol. That was all the factory ammo he could find for it then, but later he found another box of about 20 rounds he had, and about 200 rounds of fired brass.

I hate the rubber Pachmyer "presentation" grips on it, and I haven't even shot it yet(recently...I know its a good shooter, I shot it about a decade ago with the son that had it). The grips are a wrap over affair, enclosing the front of the grip frame and adding between 1/4" and a whopping 3/8" to the frame.. And since I have relatively small hands to begin with, I can't get a good grip on it-- its so bad I refuse to try shooting it that way. I started making a new set of standard grips for it before Christmas, but haven't had time to get into the shop to finish them since new years.. I'll no doubt get them done before its warm enough to take handloads to the range this spring..

Someone who owned it previous to my friends plastered green florescent epoxy based paint on the sights, most of which my friend thankfully scraped off... what little is left is terrible. Front sight needs reblued against the glare from wear, but I'm seriously considering machining it off and cutting a dove tail in the ramp for a fiber optic topped blade.. Dunno for sure yet. Also trying to decide on re-blueing, or cerracote, or just leave the wear and patina as is to tell its story like its life was; rough.

But all of that is less now than later.. I have less than 50 rounds for it, and No one here has any 41mag for sale. So I get to start loading for it! Right now I just gotta decide what weight(s) of bullet to get, and decide on whether I want to buy some first to experiment with or splurge on a mould.

-G.
    "Brass?" "Check." "Lead?" "Check." "Powder? ""Check." "Primers?" "Check." "Lube? ""Check." "Good.... Gun? ......... Gun?......." "ummm.... I'm soposed to have a gun?"

Boolit Master
    ...welcome to The Cult. Nothing better than Fun with a 4T1...

The 4 5/8" Blackhawk is one of those guns if you just have one .41 that is the one to have. It handles well, can be carried easily and is very shootable even with heavy loads. I've had five over the years but am without one at this time...

As to Boolits, it is hard to go wrong with a .41. That said before buying a mold over 230 grains you may want to buy some bullets first because the front sight probably won't be high enough. NOE has the updated Keith bullet with HP option...solids for penetration and HPs for game and self-defense...

I believe Montana Bullet Works has the biggest selection of .41 bullets if you want to try different weights...

Great shooting to you...Bob

Page 22 of 62 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast