Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Grade Trigger Mod for the Umarex Octane and its Clones

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."

Match Grade Trigger Mod for the Umarex Octane and its Clones

Actually, I think that the Umarex Octane is a clone of some other air rifle. At any rate, I'm presently testing a new upgraded trigger component that now gives me a trigger pull that measures in ounces rather than pounds.

A simple reconfiguring of the geometry of one of the trigger components now increases the leverage that pulling the trigger applies to the sear. My testing is being done by varying the added length of the arm of this little component. The remaining components in the trigger group remain in their factory configuration; including the safety.

You can find details at the Yahoo Umarex Octane users group.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...tions/messages

I developed this mod and have now been using it for several days without it affecting the function of the trigger as it was designed from the factory. The safety lever still comes on automatically. The only difference is that the trigger pull is lighter; much lighter.

I really don't think that most air gunners would care for such a light trigger pull so the testing I'm now doing is to arrive at the correct geometry to give the end user the lightest trigger pull weight and from there, they can shorten the length of the arm on this little replacement part to arrive at their desired trigger pull weight.

Tim M.

Boolit Master
    Prototype Match-Grade-Trigger components will be shipped out to some of our testers tomorrow morning. I'm hoping to get enough positive reviews that it will convince Umarex Octane and Clone air rifle owners/shooters that my tests on this component upgrade was not an exaggeration or a fluke.

The only thing negative I can think of right now is that it may be TOO light of a trigger pull for some of these testers; assuming that it's installed and used correctly.

I'll also be posting a pictorial on how to make your own upgrade trigger component as time permits.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

That link seemed to have an error, it sent me down an internet rabbit hole and I could not get out.

Thanx to ctl alt del I finally got my computer back

Link works now.

Members restricted site though
    Last edited by TCLouis; 06-07-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    ??? Rabbit Hole? What ?

Boolit Master
    Not including my review, I've received four reviews thus far out of the eight Match-Grade-Trigger components I sent out for testing. Out of these four reviews, three are reporting accidental discharges upon release of the Safety lever and one tester reports that the new prototype trigger component is performing as designed.

I made and tested each of these prototype component in my Umarex Octane air rifle and in each case, these little replacement prototype trigger components worked without any problem. I really can't explain why these prototype trigger parts work fine in my air rifle but not all others.

I can only speculate with the analogy of identical centerfire guns of the same model and manufacture shooting the same loads to a different point of aim. Although they're all essentially the same gun, each has its variations. My fault in making these little replacement components as close to the same as my factory component as possible was in assuming that they were all made to the same tolerances. Without having other factory components of the same type to compare against, right now it's hard to tell.

I'm now in the process of re-drawing CAD models so as to mill a new batch out of steel (the previous batch was made from aluminum) and they will be machined about two-thousands over-sized. I will then try them in my Umarex Octane at this slightly larger size to see if their functionality is reliable and safe. I will follow that up by go back and finish-size a couple of them to match exactly to my factory component, followed by testing for safety and functionality.

A few of the parts will be sent to the testers so that they can finish-size to the exact dimensions of their particular factory trigger component; just in case the factory tolerances are loose enough to be the cause of the accidental discharges that were reported by three of the testers.

I know it will work because it's working beautifully in my Octane and at least one of the tester's Octane air rifles. The goal now is to find the sweet-spot in dimensions that will work in all Umarex Octane air rifles.

The Umarex Octane is an excellent air rifle but the factory trigger pull really sucks. Fixing the trigger pull problems leaves us with an outstanding budget air rifle.

UPDATE: Just added another positive review. What a relief. I was beginning to think this trigger mod might not work on all Umarex Octane air rifles. It's appearing that the tolerances of these small replacement parts are the key.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 05-03-2015 at 11:28 AM.

Boolit Master

This is the last update

After reviewing the reviews of the aluminum Match-Grade-Trigger prototype components that I previously sent out for testing, tweaks were made to my CAD drawings so as to machine the overall geometries to more closely match my factory trigger component angles and dimensions and VIOLA; we now have a confirmed fix for the crappy trigger pulls on the factory Umarex Octane air rifles.

Thanks to the eight testers that helped me out in getting this trigger fix working safely and repeatedly, I can now call this project successfully done. I sent out eight of the new Match-Grade-Trigger components made of steel to each of my eight testers as a thank-you for their help.

Our Umarex Octanes still retain the two-stage trigger pulls they had from the factory and, deliberate attempts to create a pre-mature or accidental discharge failed to get these air guns to discharge until the trigger was pulled; as it should be. The second stage of the trigger pull comes in at or around a crisp one pound of trigger pull weight.

We are now proud owners and shooters of entry-level budget break-barrel air rifles that can stand toe-to-toe with many of the higher end break-barrels on the market.

I love it when a plan comes together.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 05-30-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    I know, I Know; I stated in my previous/last post that, that previous post would be my last update but, I just had to come on again to let anyone here shooting a Ruger Yukon air rifle that we got a chance to test one of these Match-Grade-Trigger components on a Yukon and it worked just a well on that particular model as it did on the Umarex Octane model they were designed for.

The Ruger Yukon uses a similar trigger group as the Umarex Octane with the only differences being the length of the Cross-Pins that the trigger components pivot on. Some of the Yukon's Cross-Pins are slightly longer and others are slightly shorter to accommodate the inletting in the wooden stock. A careful de-burring and polishing is still advised in order to optimize the trigger pull and feel but other than that, this replacement component is just a drop in part.

One of our testers has measured his with a Trigger-Pull-Scale and stated to have gone from having a factory trigger pull that would not register on his 12lbs max trigger scale because it would max out the scale. After a careful de-burring and polishing he was able to bring the trigger pull down to 5lbs (if memory serves) and then a subsequent polishing brought him down to 3-point-something pounds; although it was not a smooth 3-point-something pound trigger pull.

The installation of the new all steel Match-Grade-Trigger component has brought his trigger pull down to a measured "1.6lbs with a clean break" after taking up the first stage of the trigger pull; according to our tester.

An update on the Ruger Yukon air rifle we tested this Match-Grade-Trigger component on:
    The owner/shooter of this air rifle (retired military) who also owns a trigger pull scale has now reported that his Yukon air rifle had an 8.8lbs trigger pull out of the box. It is now registering a trigger pull hovering around 2.9 to 3.2 pounds. HA! It works. It really works. I love it when a dream comes to fruition.

Well, that's it. I feel better now.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 06-20-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Boolit Master

But Wait, There's More

In an on going effort to tweak the design of this new drop-in Match-Grade-Trigger component I've tweaked and re-tweaked the length of the bill on this previously Duck-Head-shaped trigger component into what now resembles a Humming-Birds head.

The modified design now allow for the removal of two of the factory trigger components and replacing them with this one new Humming-Bird shaped drop in part. The added leverage that this new part gives means that even the most mechanically challenged Umarex Octane air rifle shooter can install this part and not even have to do any de-burring or polishing on any of the contact surfaces of the other factory trigger component; unless they really want to.

I put together a clear plexiglass trigger housing as a visual aid to show exactly what I'm referring to. The Humming-Bird part pictured here is the prototype part that I'm presently testing. It will be a couple more months till I'm ready to offer it to my Umarex Octane group members for testing. Thus far, the results are even more promising than the version 2 iteration of this Match-Grade-Trigger component.

The beak or bill length on the final design of this latest trigger component will be slightly thinner and slightly longer. You get a good idea what I mean when you compare this latest pic to the previous trigger group pic I uploaded in one of my previous posts.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 08-23-2015 at 10:24 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Request to join yahoo group sent

GMT210

Boolit Master
    The tweaks and upgrades on this new Match-Grade-Trigger component design are moving along at a snails pace. This is due to my work schedule. Making these trigger component is more of a hobby for me. The income producing work I do takes precedent over my hobbies.

At any rate, it is moving along. I've had to make a set of Soft-Jaws for the machining of these little parts. I was having trouble milling them from a short length of 1/4"x1.5"x7" 1018 steel. These little parts tended break off and get damaged as my end mill reached the last couple of passes.

With the Soft-Jaws, I can mill them out of 3/8" metal stock, then turn the stock around, hold the parts in place with the Soft-Jaws and remove the remaining metal off the back side of the parts to get a 99 percent finished part. I then go in and finish them manually.

HollowPoint

Boolit Mold

Thumbs up tester volunteer

Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    In an on going effort to tweak the design of this new drop-in Match-Grade-Trigger component I've tweaked and re-tweaked the length of the bill on this previously Duck-Head-shaped trigger component into what now resembles a Humming-Birds head.

The modified design now allow for the removal of two of the factory trigger components and replacing them with this one new Humming-Bird shaped drop in part. The added leverage that this new part gives means that even the most mechanically challenged Umarex Octane air rifle shooter can install this part and not even have to do any de-burring or polishing on any of the contact surfaces of the other factory trigger component; unless they really want to.

I put together a clear plexiglass trigger housing as a visual aid to show exactly what I'm referring to. The Humming-Bird part pictured here is the prototype part that I'm presently testing. It will be a couple more months till I'm ready to offer it to my Umarex Octane group members for testing. Thus far, the results are even more promising than the version 2 iteration of this Match-Grade-Trigger component.

The beak or bill length on the final design of this latest trigger component will be slightly thinner and slightly longer. You get a good idea what I mean when you compare this latest pic to the previous trigger group pic I uploaded in one of my previous posts.

HollowPoint

How does one become a tester for this match grade trigger?

Boolit Master
    Hi Hershy:

All R&D testing for these Match-Grade-Trigger mods/components have already been completed. They have been for a while now. With help for some of our Umarex Octane group's members we were able to determine that in terms of manufacture and actual performance, the "HummingBird" design was harder to machine than the original "Duck-Bill" design so, I moved forward with the production of the "Duck-Bill" design instead and never looked back.

My reply makes it sound like it was a massive undertaking. Actually, it was just a bunch of guys looking for a fix of the horrendous trigger that comes on the Umarex Octane air rifle. We found it. It didn't take that long and it wasn't that long ago that I started making them for sale to the public. The details of this can be found on the Yahoo Umarex Octane shooters site.

Thanks for the inquiry.

HollowPoint

Boolit Mold
    Pm sent on match grade trigger for ruger yukon

Boolit Master
    Received your PM and replied forthwith. Thanks for the inquiry. The last one of these I sold to a Ruger Yukon air rifle owner resulted in an email from an ecstatic air gunner who wasn't really sure if he was just wasting his money or not. He's a happy camper now.

Although I don't own a Ruger Yukon, I did help install one of these trigger components in a Yukon belonging to a guy who happened to live in my neck of the woods. He dropped by with his air gun so I was able to confirm the fit and function and take a few shots with it in my back yard.

It's a simple fix to an all to common problem with what some might consider to be "Budget-Level" break barrel air rifles. That "Common Problem" is, the horrendous trigger pulls found on these otherwise very good quality air rifles.

Not long ago I posted a YouTube tutorial video on how to install one of these little trigger upgrade components. If you haven't already, give it a looksee. I think you'll find that it's well within most air gunner's abilities to install.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

Video Tutorial On The Installation Of This Trigger Component Mod

I noticed that this old thread has gotten quite a few views since I posted it. I thought I'd add the link to the video tutorial I made a while back.

The video itself is poorly made but it's just clear enough to show the steps one needs to take improve your Umarex Octane or Ruger Yukon's factory trigger pull. It really is a simple install procedure.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Have a Umarex Octane coming 7/2/16. If I dont like the trigger what does this cost.

Thanks
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    Hi DCP:

I tried to reply with a PM but it seems that your PM storage is all filled up so my message couldn't go through. You can find more info about this little trigger component on our Yahoo Umarex Shooters group site at the following link:

Thanks for the inquiry.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    Hi DCP:

I tried to reply with a PM but it seems that your PM storage is all filled up so my message couldn't go through. You can find more info about this little trigger component on our Yahoo Umarex Shooters group site at the following link:

Thanks for the inquiry.

HollowPoint
    PM cleared
    Joined Yahoo Umarex Shooters group
    Still trying to figure how to navigate it

Didnt see any prices

Thanks
    DCP
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master
    PM Re-Sent.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Hi everyone; and beanie001:

Right now 7/31/16, I only have three of these Match-Grade-Trigger components left. One of these three components is being held in reserve for a fellow from Australia. The other two are first come first serve.

Due to my work schedule, I won't be able to make up another batch of these trigger components until next weekend. If you can hold out till the week after next I should have them back in stock again. Sorry for the hassles.

I never really thought I'd be selling as many as I have. Bear with me please.

HollowPoint

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast