Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most Accurate Military Bolt Action Rifle

Boolit Master

Most Accurate Military Bolt Action Rifle

I have shot a lot of different military rifles. My pick for the most accurate would be the K-31, 1903 springfield , 1917 Enfield, Sweed Mauser, K-98 mauser.and the 303 British early model. Just my personal opinion yours maybe different of coarse

Boolit Master
    bouncer50,

You ask a question not easily answered. MUCH depends on the shooter, the rifle and the ammunition. I would say your question is akin to: "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

Adam

Boolit Master

Overall, I'd bet on the 1903 Springfield.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    bouncer50,

You ask a question not easily answered. MUCH depends on the shooter, the rifle and the ammunition. I would say your question is akin to: "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?"

Adam
    You are correct sir. All the rifles were shot with military ammo.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Finn M39, when fed good ammo, ranks with the K31, both of them being more accurate than the Springfield or Mauser, in my experience.

The Swiss ammo is wonderful, equal to our M72 Match in the '06. My Norma match ammo in 7.62x54R is all gone, so my M39 gets fed Sierra .311" 174-grain Matchkings in Norma brass with Federal 210M primers and 44 grains of RL15 or Varget.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    All things equal, the 1903, the K31, the Swedish M96 and the Finn M39 are the kings of their era. Picking one over the other is a fruitless debate.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The Finn M39, when fed good ammo, ranks with the K31, both of them being more accurate than the Springfield or Mauser, in my experience.
    I have shot the '03 on the course at Camp Perry (as well as the M-1) and I can tell you absolutely that there was no military rifle in the known world that could outshoot the boys with the '03.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Master

There is no correct answer to this debate, but I think that we should all keeping testing each of those rifles mentioned as often and as much as we can.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Best way to decide which was the most accurate rifle of its day would be to look up the scores of the international matches of the day.

Interestingly the Carcano long rifle made pretty good showing in at least some matches. Carcano match rifles with double set triggers show up now and then.

Overall I get the impression that the Springfield 1903 was recognized as the most accurate both in the field and on the range.
    In archery they say a poor quality bow can still get fairly good accuracy so long as the arrow is of good quality, but no matter how good the bow is it won't be accurate if the arrow is of poor quality. Same goes for rifles and ammunition.

I have to differ slightly on this one. From what I have seen the Swedish Mauser M96 in 6.5 x55 caliber appears across the spectrum to be the most accurate of the rifles mentioned above.

When I say across the spectrum I mean an average of all guns made not just a few here and there.

The Swedes didn't make as many rifles as we did, and they were never under direct wartime pressure to the degree that their quality control was diminished to any great degree. Thus these guns overall were superior in quality of manufacture and consistently above anything else produced during that time frame. The Swedish ammo was also of higher general quality for the same reasons.

That is my reasoning here and the fact that I have a gun made in 1899 that will shoot inside 1" with factory ammo. My Springfields won't, My Enfield won't, I'd like to see if a Finn Nagant would, but I doubt it would simply because of too many problems with the available ammo.

None of these problems exist with the Swede.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    I have shot the '03 on the course at Camp Perry (as well as the M-1) and I can tell you absolutely that there was no military rifle in the known world that could outshoot the boys with the '03.
    I respect your answer. But what makes a 03 more accurate is it the sights, barrel, lock up of action, betting of the stock, ammo. I just like to know why with all due respect ? I do agree it would be in the top 10 And i do love my 03 i have.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    I've shot at Camp Perry, Bisley and Canaught. I own a couple '03s and Model 70s. Yes, the Springfield is a good rifle, when fed good ammo, but your religious fervor for it is misplaced. The K31 and the Finn M39 shot off machine rest, comparing all rifles with handloaded Sierras, will put the average Type S service grade '03 (not specially tricked out, glass bedded match guns) to shame.

The quality of M72 and M118 ammunition manufactured after about 1967, when the old WW2 Bliss presses and tooling started wearing, went rapidly to pot, especially when they abandoned discreet lots of component parts and mixed bullets and casings from different batches and sets of tools together.

Larry Moore was able to get LC to assemble some wonderful 20- and 60- lots of M118 for the military teams, but once they went to M118 Brown Box the stuff was no better than ordinary Caliber .30 Ball M1 loaded during the 1930s, until LC finally started loading the Sierra bullet and after a few million rounds learned how to LAP (load-assemble-pack) the LR without wrecking it.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Patt'14.....it put 03's to shame. Of the sporter 03 w/scope and a stock remmy 03...my patt 14 buries them in accuracy and ruggedness. I desire accurate combat rifles...not delicate range queens.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Boolit Master

I must beg to differ on this one! When you compare a run of the mill issue bolt action military rifle to an M40A1, an M24 or one of Gayle McMillan's creations the issue rifle doesn't even stand a chance, and you DID ask for the most accurate MILITARY bolt rifle! That includes specialty sniper rifles.

Boolit Master
    The .303 and 6.5X55 cartridges have a distinct velocity disadvantage compared to the .30-06 when it comes to retained velocities at extreme ranges. I wonder how that would affect scores at 1,000 yards or more.
    This seems to have become an issue with those No.4 rifles converted to 7.62 NATO when higher velocity match grade ammo in that chambering became common to allow super sonic velocities out to 1200 yards.
    The P-14/M1917 rifles can handle much higher pressures than the 96 Mauser action, within the accepted margin of safety at least. If higher velocity .303 hand loads were used that could cancel out the velocity disadvantage of the P-14.
    According to Reynolds the P-14 was the favored rifle for Bisley shooting at ranges beyond 600 yards. It seems to have been a superior sniper rifle as well, though the scopes in use at the time weren't always the best choice for this work.

The M-1 Ball cartridge with its heavy boat tail bullet seems to have been very accurate, but fell out of favor due to its extreme danger space beyond the berms of available ranges. That level of recoil would also have contributed to shooter fatigue.

For the most part cartridges intended for long range MG fire and synchronized aerial guns appears to have been more accurate than standard infantry ball. The consistency of ignition of the primers was of great importance when ammo was used in a synchronized gun.
    While wing mounted guns became the norm in the 1940's many late 30's aircraft designs still used cowl mounted or wing root mounted guns that required synchronizing gear to avoid damaging the propellors.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen a Swede M96 that has some high quality micrometer sights on it. I can't help but think it must have been the equivalent of one of our NM rifles. I'd say more depends on the jerk on the trigger than the rifle it's self.

Boolit Grand Master

Of the ones I own,
    1911 Schmidt Ruben Carbine- 7.5 Swiss
    1895 Spanish Mauser- 7X57
    1903-A3 Springfield- 30-06
    No.4 MKI 303 British Enfield
    Model 98 Mauser -8X57

The 1911 Schmidt-Rubin is hands down the most accurate...it was made by some very skilled craftsmen...like a Swiss watch!
    I think the longer throat is definitely a help with longer cast boolits.

Gary

Banned
    m99 in 50 bmg

https://www.barrett.net/firearms/model99

makes even the taliban duck and run for cover!!!

probably going to catch some flak on this one, my vote goes for the 1891 Argentine mausers made by loewe. it is the most accurate gun i own, beating out a 1893 Spanish, a converted 1895 chliean, and my M38 Turk (that last one is a close call).

i am in the progress of restoring a 1896 swede made by carl gustafs in 1899, so i will soon be able to experience the accuracy of the swede.

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Pattern 14 with a near mint barrel, and it is a far less accurate rifle
    than any of my 1903 Springfields.

I'd rate 1903 the highest, closely followed by M39, then a baby step back to
    K31, Swedish 96.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast