RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Wideners

Thread: Stevens 325 C not drilled for a scope - What is the best receiver sight for it?

Boolit Master

Stevens 325 C not drilled for a scope - What is the best receiver sight for it?

My brother and I did some horse trading and he got the better of me I think.

I wound up with a very old Stevens 325C .30-30 (think Savage 340 with a cheap beech, birch or ash stock) that is not drilled for a scope.

It is drilled for a receiver sight and I would like to know what receiver sights work best on this rifle?
    EDG

There's not a whole lot of choices, these days - You're pretty much limited to a Williams Fool Proof, Model # FP-340, for the Model 322-325-340-342 Stevens/Savage.

Boolit Master
    I'm pretty sure that's the one that I mounted on my Model 340. It works ok for me.

Boolit Master
    Thanks
    I see some old timers on ebay but they seem to be both crude and expensive.
    EDG

The lyman 40 was made to fit 340's, It is rather expensive but not any more so than other vintage sights. I have sold one in the past it seemed like a well build sight.

Boolit Buddy
    I own a 325C in .30/30 that functioned fantastic for 20+ years for me until the barrel finally gave up it rifling. (I shot about 10000 round). I loved it. But, back to your concern. I had a smith put a basic side mount on it and I build a "lift" that raised the scope over the iron sight. I built it in machine shop in high school. (Kids would probably get expelled if they did that today). I replaced the 325C with a 325A. Love the butter handle savages.

Boolit Mold
    I have a Savage 340. If it is anything like a Savage, it will be drilled for a mount on the left side of the receiver. Check Numrich. They have a mount that fits my Savage.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/540380.htm

Boolit Master
    I have a 325C. Shoots great!! I have mounted a B-Square mount on holes drilled by some long ago gunsmith.
    Doing some homework years ago, if I remember correctly, the 325 was discontinued about 1950, and the part I found really interesting was that the barrels were left over machine gun barrels.

Moderator Emeritus

If you go with the side mount get the one from Amazon that actually centers the scope.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

If it really is a 325C, then it came from the factory drilled and tapped for both a Springfield sidemount and a receiver sight. The Numrich part appears to be a faithful copy. I got a little carried away once and ended up with a small army of the butter knife Stevens.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    My rifle is definitely a Stevens 325 C and it is not drilled for a scope.
    EDG

Banned

Interesting reading about these rifles;
    http://www.leeroysramblings.com/guns...savage_340.htm

They made them before things were routinely drilled and tapped, so you find them untapped. I got a side mount from Sun Optics, I think B_Square makes a similar one, that's much better than the old Weavers and cheaper if you want to go that route, but I like the idea of a receiver sight. You'll probably need a taller front post, though.

Boolit Master

I'm fortunate enough to have the Springfield 840 (same rifle, round bolt knob) that took the B-Square mount, but in your shoes, I'd probably grab the Williams, splurge the extra ten bucks for the target-knobbed version, and never think twice about dredging the Internet for the rifle's historically accurate counterpart. The aluminum body somewhat offends my sense of period-correctness and of the aesthetic, but then, these are probably the butt-ugliest rifles ever crafted by the hand of Man anyway.

How the Williams actually compares with the Lymans and Redfields of old, I couldn't say, but considering that rifle in that caliber is typically a zero-once-and-forget-it affair, you're unlikely to need a Parker-Hale level of overkill in the construction of your adjustment detents.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Google Gary Fellers Gunsights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    My 325 and 322 were both undrilled when I aquired them, they are both drilled and tapped now. any good smith or competent friend can do it with proper tools and patience.

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Google Gary Fellers Gunsights.

Thanks for the warning to avoid Gary Fellers.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Thanks for the warning to avoid Gary Fellers.
    Other than slow return of calls, I've not had a problem with him. Would you elaborate? Admittedly it's been 5 years or so since I've dealt with him.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Other than slow return of calls, I've not had a problem with him. Would you elaborate? Admittedly it's been 5 years or so since I've dealt with him.

The links you gave said that several people have been sent bad sights(bad condition versus what was described, or incomplete) or have not received items that they paid for.

Then I rescind my recommendation.