MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester 473AA

Boolit Bub

Winchester 473AA

Got a can of powder when I bought out another reloader who was retiring. It's Winchester AA 473AA. Still smells good and mostly full

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0165.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	137407

The only loads I can find for this are on the back of a box of wads that was also included. A google search show a few people talking about this but no real data. Does anyone know if this became something else or just went away.

Would be interested in loading it for pistols or 7/8oz 12 ga skeet loads if possible.

Boolit Grand Master

Find a copy of Speer #11 manual for pistol data on 473AA
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    I used this load from the Lyman Shotshell Handbook, third edition. Winchester 20ga compression formed case, 16.0gr 473AA, w209 primer, WAA20 wad, 1150fps, 9,700LUP.

Only higher velocity hunting loads were listed for 12ga, 1 1/8oz shot. This powder burns too slow for light 12ga target loads.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 10lb keg I'm working through. I love it.

4.4 gr with 230 gr cast for my 45acp
    5.4 gr with 200 gr xtreme plated round nose.

Still working on a good load for 9mm

4.4gr for 158 gr SWC in 38 special.

I can take a few pics from speer 11 if you need it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumslie View Post
    I have a 10lb keg I'm working through. I love it.

4.4 gr with 230 gr cast for my 45acp
    5.4 gr with 200 gr xtreme plated round nose.

Still working on a good load for 9mm

4.4gr for 158 gr SWC in 38 special.

I can take a few pics from speer 11 if you need it.
    Big thanks, that gives me something to use it for. Sounds like I need to find a speer 11 for several reasons.

Boolit Buddy

It also went under a different name - that escapes me right now. I think it was 20 something - referring to 20ga. I had 3 lbs of it under the 20 something name and my research showed it was the same as 473AA.

If I hadn't of spent my 20's in the bottom of a bottle, I could remember the other powder's name - sorry.

Boolit Buddy

I have a copy of Speer #11, what specifically are you looking for?

Iniustus lex est non lex
    Melior morior in vestri pes quam ago in vestri genu
    Semper Paratus, Semper Fortis

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" Barry Goldwater
    "Never argue with an idiot.They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience".
    ANON

Boolit Master
    Anyone ever us 473 for light cast bullet loads in .30-06?

Boolit Master
    I have a can also of 473aa and couldnt find any info for it.
    Other than 20ga ,seemed strange no other data ??
    would be nice if someone could list other uses for this powder.
    Iam sure others on this site could then find a use for it
    thanx turtlzx

Boolit Master
    It can also be used for higher velocity 12 gauge lead loading. This was good stuff back in the 80's. I burned a fair amount of it..

Boolit Master
    Well, I loaded up five rounds of .30-06 today with 8 grs. of 473 and the Lyman 31141 bullet I normally use for 30-30. Fired those five at 100 yds, prone, with no problems. They all hit the paper, nothing to brag about. The recoil was hardly noticeable, and the report was very mild. Tomorrow, baring rain tonight, I'm going to try 10 rds with 10 grains and try a little harder to hold a tighter group.

Boolit Master
    I am far from a expert But

I WOULD NOT SHOOT THOSE LOADS

I think you got lucky on the first set
    473 AA was a great powder for 12g trap and light field loads -------> its a fast powder

it was also used in some 45acp loads so its a shotgun and limited pistol powder

it could be very bad in a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by hydraulic View Post
    Well, I loaded up five rounds of .30-06 today with 8 grs. of 473 and the Lyman 31141 bullet I normally use for 30-30. Fired those five at 100 yds, prone, with no problems. They all hit the paper, nothing to brag about. The recoil was hardly noticeable, and the report was very mild. Tomorrow, baring rain tonight, I'm going to try 10 rds with 10 grains and try a little harder to hold a tighter group.

Banned

wsf is its replacement

Boolit Master
    Fordsd; Thanks for your concern and the warnings. I'm in the process of cleaning up a lot of stuff I've had around for years. I shot trap with loads from this can of 473, twenty years ago or more. There's about a quarter pound left. I just finished the last of an old can of Red Dot; same load, 10 grains under Lymans 311413. I can still shoot prone and I've been going out to the ranch two or three days a week and shooting 40 rds. at the TQ4 small bore target at 100 yds. Most of the time I can keep them in the black. After this 473 is gone I have a full pound of H110 and another of hp38. I figure I should be up into my 80's before all this is gone, but I'm holding back my Unique and 2400 in case I live too long. As far as your concern about using fast burning powder with cast bullets, read the article by Ed Harris.

I went thru my Winchester-Western manuals from back in the 70's no data for 7/8 load.
    Found 1 load in the Winchester 14th edition 1995 for 7/8 oz, and it calls for 452AA, nothing for 473AA.
    I still load a lot of 473AA but for 1 1/8 oz loads.
    If I find any data I will shoot you a pm.
    Good luck
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Boolit Master
    Well, I got out to the ranch this afternoon and shot those 10 rounds with 10 grains of 473 under the Lyman 31141 bullet. Still not much recoil but a little louder report. The best part is that I usually shoot in the mid to high 70's, percentage wise, but this time I shot the highest score I've ever shot; 84 which is almost expert! Two 10's, three 9's, three 8's and two 7's. That's with 77 year old eyes, Afib, and congestive heart failure. No signs of pressure-primers are normal. I use the TQ4 small bore target which is almost identical to the SR21. That's the 300yd target reduced to 100. I'm going to go to 12 grains but probably won't be able to shoot until after the 4th. Hate to keep you waiting in breathless anticipation.

I loaded up a number of 9mm 124 gr TC bullets with 3.8, 4.0 and 4.2 gr of Win 473AA. Did not have the ability to chrono as was at a public range and targets were at 15 yards max. I used my Glock 17 (yes I shoot cast in my Glock) and my Smith 986 7 shot revolver. The 3.8 gr load was dropping brass at my feet with the other loads ejecting properly. After firing 80 rds through the Glock and 42 through the Smith with satisfactory off hand accuracy(I held a master card in PPC and Expert in bullseye). Off to home for cleaning. The Glock bore was mirror bright with a couple of strokes with a bronze brush. The Smith was also clean with a few strokes with the bronze brush followed with the same dry patch. Next weekend I will reevaluate at 4.2 and 4.4 gr.
    this powder looks like a winner for my 9 and I will start on a 200gr 45ACP load in the next few weeks.

I passed on a kilo and a half of this powder about 2 or 3 years ago. I wanted it for pistol cartridges and reduced rifle loads. It had kept well, but at the time I couldn't find data to suit my needs so I passed on it. It's a shame because I could have had it for $50 which was dirt cheap.

Boolit Master
    I got back out to the ranch Saturday and shot 40 rounds with 12 grains of 473. Accuracy was really good; shot one of my best scores. I reloaded the cases yesterday and found that about 1 out of 4 had slightly flattened primers. I don't think there's a problem, but I'm only shooting this powder fro the fun of it. Anyway, I dropped the powder charge to 11 1/2 grains just in case. Lyman 31141 170gr. Used up the last of the magnum rifle primers I had when I used to use them when loading black powder in my .45-70 Shiloh. I have several hundred magnum pistol primers that need to go. I don't think I can get more than another hundred rounds out of that can of 473, so my next victim is a full pound of H110. This is all part of my program to get rid of the stuff sitting around that will be a burden to the Mrs. Wouldn't you believe it; a friend has asked me if I would be interested in several cans of 700x that a relative of his wants to get rid of.

Boolit Master
    The Speer #11 has some good data for it. Have tried it in 38 and 357, 44 Mag and 45 ACP. Burning up stash now in my 1911 with 5.1 grs behind a 215-217 SWC. Functions well in my SA Range Officer with a 14lb recoils spring and 19lb hammer spring. Definitely not a hot load, can see bullet in flight, but accurate and pleasant to shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast