WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winchester 473AA

Could you make a copy of the 38 and 45 load data from the Speer #11 manual and let me know by PM so I could send you my email addy?

Thanks,

JMax, I sent you a PM
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Boolit Master
    Jmax
    how about a copy of the data here so others could see it ??

Turtlezx I can send it to you.
    As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your elders will teach you WISDOM.
    300winmag

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlezx View Post
    Jmax
    how about a copy of the data here so others could see it ??
    Great Idea....

if not, Could you send me a copy of the data please 300winmag

Sent to your email, hope it works out.
    Happy loading.
    300winmag

Boolit Master
    I used 473 for 12 ga. when I first started reloading. It would be a really nice day if I suddenly acquired a bunch more.

l would put it between red dot and green dot in burn rate.

Even though it is slower than the fastest powders, green dot is what I would say is at the "slow end of the fast" powders. In other words, anything green dot or faster, I would lump into "fast burning - frequently sold for shotgun" powders. For comparison, Unique is on the edge (probably more medium than fast), and blue dot is definitely "not fast".

I have never see any credible write-up or evidence of a problem when what I call "fast burning" is used to "work up" a load using the "standard rules" that were in place before the first digital based chamber pressure measurement systems told us what idiots we all were.

Most all handgun rounds have some load data for "fast burning" powder that can get you in the ballpark for a starting load.

When moving up to bottleneck, any "fast burning" powder works just fine for mild cast boolit ammo. Any these powders "perform" real close to the Ed Harris universal load of Red Dot. The charge might be different than the 13 gr. of Red Dot, but if you find a charge of your powder that will give the same velocity as 13 gr of Red Dot, the overall performance will be about the same. Going less (within reason) just makes it "milder", going hotter should only be done where you are sure your pressures are less than factory ammo.

If someone local told me that a mostly full 8 lb jug of the stuff was available at a good price, I would pull out my wallet without even a second thought. As a ball powder, it can be expected to meter great even with very small charges. With a burn rate in the Red Dot to Green Dot range, good target/plinking loads for most any pistol can probably be worked up.

Please note that the above all applies only to those who understand what they are doing. If you do not, and you have a bunch of this powder, reach out to one of us that does so that we can help you get rid of something you should not play with

Boolit Master
    Used it in pistol rounds with the Speer #11 data in 45 ACP, and 38/357. Still have a pound or so on hand from when I went to Bullseye for 45. Don't load for 38/357 anymore.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    This might not be the correct place for this, but here goes!! Having some of this discontinued powder on hand, I set out to look for a Speer #11 reloading manual! Wow!!! $104.95 !!! Are ya kidding me!!! Well, I didn’t fall for that ripoff!! My wife has an Amazon prime account, sooooooo, I now own not 1, but 2 copies of the Speer #11 reloading manual!!!! ( one for my reloading partner) And for the lowly sum of $38.98 shipped to my door!!!! So, guys, keep looking, the bargains are out there!!! ( btw, they had some for $12 also). Both books look to be brand new. I’m pleased. Just a little info. The ‘Zilla.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Back in the 80s when I satrted loading skeet loads, 473AA was the 20 ga powder, 452AA was the 12 ga powder. I didn't load metallic at the time so I didn't pay attention to any loads for such.

Boolit Master
    i use both 473 and 452 for 45acp rounds with good luck thru a pro 1000 same bushing for both just a diffent weight
    452 5.2gr 473 6.0 gr with a 160gr boolit so possibly less powder with a 230gr boolit work up loads that will cycle in your gun
    10 lb jug will last a while 11,666

Boolit Buddy
    WW-473AA
    From speer #11 (1987)

38 spec.

148gr BBWC 4.3 867 4.9 933
    158gr SWC 4.4 762 4.8 864

110gr JHP 5.8 997 6.5 +P 1098
    125gr JHP 4.3 877 5.1 +P 968
    158gr JHP 5.2 837 5.8 +P 918

357 mag

140gr JHP 8.8 1151 9.8 1239