RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions when buying 22s becoming more and more common?

Boolit Master

Question Questions when buying 22s becoming more and more common?

I've read several posts on the subject about this store or that store asking what boils down to unreasonable questions when folks are buying 22s, and I can easily relate. Starting a couple of years ago even my local wal-mart started asking "are these for a rifle or a pistol?", and then "what's your date of birth" when buying 22s. ANY other caliber or gauge they just shrug at the fat bald bearded greying guy (me) and sell them. But for some reason 22 long rifle shells start bringing out the questions from just about ANY chain store I buy them in, which is just odd to me. Last year I was in a gander mountain in College Station, Texas. I had JUST purchased 4 1lb cans of powder, 2k primers, and a case of shotgun shells when I noticed a display with 22s on it. I figured why not, since they were hard to come by already and handed my wife my bags before going back through checkout. Powder, primer, and shotgun shells not a question asked. 2 - 50 round boxes of 22s and they wanted my date of birth, phone number, and zip code....... They didn't get their info, and I didn't buy the 22s. They guy behind me in line bought a case of 308s and got the same result I had with my previous order....

Is it just me, or is it MOSTLY 22 long rifle shells that start the barrage of "none of your business" questions from companies now? What gives?

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

In Remembrance
    There is probably a difference in the law governing sales of rifle ammunition and pistol ammo.
    It's probably an age restriction on pistol stuff.

Now that formerly ignorant people have discovered that 22 "long rifle" ammo might be actually used in pistols, they suddenly feel a need to know which kind of firearm 'you' are purchsing for.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Banned
    In Virginia you can buy rifle cartridges and shotgun shells at 18 years of age but you must be 21 to buy handgun ammunition. The law has never made sense to me but that's the law. An 18 year old can buy a box of 7mm Remington Magnum rounds or a couple of cases of shotgun shells but he can't purchase a 50 round box of .22 shorts !

There could be some type of corporate policy that mirrors that law, I don't know.

Aside from my date if birth, everything else they get is balogna. None of their business and I find the questions intrusive and annoying.

Boolit Grand Master

Handguns and handgun ammos age limit to purchase is 21 rifle and shotgun ammo is 18. 22 hornet, 30-30, and the madrid or rifle rounds chambered in contenders never get questioned either. There are probably as many 22 long rifle handguns as rifles so this may be a reasonable question.

In this day of computerized registers many corporations have them set up so that the purchase of .22 ammunition requires age confirmation, other wise the register "locks out" and will not allow the teller to complete the sale. Basically it covers their a$$. An illegal sale is harder to make and take the responsibility out of the "not so bright", tellers hands.

Boolit Master

I was asked "Is this for a rifle or a pistol?" when buying .22 ammo, I always said it was for both.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

In Remembrance
    I remember being ask if it was for rifle or pistol years ago and I couldn't have been over 15 at the time. I don't remember what I told them and have not been ask for years, must be a regional thing, but it was in Texas in the early 70's when I was ask, Kmart iirc.

You see the birthdate question for tobacco and alcohol too. And the information is punched into the register. For people who are not gray haired and distinguished looking such as myself they may ask for ID and scan it. This is almost entirely to protect the company in the event the police set up a sting (the do periodically) or a patron gets into trouble later (especially for alcohol). The store has established a clear track record of having and enforcing a policy of cashiers checking age for age related items. This puts it back on the cashier that screwed up rather than the company.

My guess is from the stores perspective entering a zip, phone and DOB is unique enough to qualify as a recorded electronic "proof" of a check for age during the sale of what is potentially pistol ammo. I think the fact that some stores are asking is the ammo for a rifle or pistol indicates the register is walking them through a series of questions. It may also be a way to "flag" fakes but until I figure it provides me with some benefit I'm going to lie to them like they are drunk blonds at closing time. Except for the rifle or pistol question then the answer is always rifle. They look at you funny when you tell them neither one, your planning to throw boxes of ammo on a bonfire. Don't ask how I know.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I remember being ask if it was for rifle or pistol years ago and I couldn't have been over 15 at the time. I don't remember what I told them and have not been ask for years, must be a regional thing, but it was in Texas in the early 70's when I was ask, Kmart iirc.
    Under the Gun Control Act of 1968, anyone “engaged in the business” of selling ammunition was required to maintain records of ammunition sales for handguns. This was eliminated by the Fireams Owners Protection act of 1986.

Boolit Master

I remember buying .22 ammo from the small local Coast-To-Coast store in the small town closest to the farm. This was in the late '80s. The owner/proprietor was a friendly neighbor who lived just down the road from me and had known me most of my life. My grandfather helped build his house! Years later his son and I were best man in each other's weddings.

I was maybe 18 or 19 and he had to see my ID and ask if they were for a pistol or rifle, because he couldn't sell them to me if they were for a pistol. A real by-the-book kind of guy. He also asked my mom for ID when she rented a carpet cleaner from his store.

I wonder what they'd do, if when asked if they're for rifle or pistol, you responded "neither."

Boolit Master
    ok I understand federal and state laws, 18 or 21, etc etc etc....

If a fella is visably an old fart, and you don't feel the need to ask him when he buys 1000 rounds of 308 for date of birth, zip, phone, etc. Why the HECK would you need to ask him for a 50 round box of 22s??? I'm not talkin about a borderline kid who might or might not be over 21, but may be over 18 and he wants to buy them. I'm a forty year old bald bearded, greying fat man with lines wrinkles and scars. WHY is it asked for 22s but not ANYTHING else? Heck I have seen a guy buy 50 rounds of 50 bmg without a blink from a clerk get his license scanned for buying 50 rounds of 22. it don't make sense.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Because pistols are evil, have minds of their own and like to kill children. By requiring DOB To buy handgun ammo from everyone without exception, retailers are covering their butts from potential civil suits in addition to avoiding criminal charges. Think of how much a company is likely to lose due to a lawsuit filed by some son-of-obama's family in <blue-state-near-water>.

Boolit Master
    Can I buy 38 sp for my rifle at 18?

Boolit Grand Master

I'm John Smith, I was born January 1st 1910, and I live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC 20500.

They want information, I give it to them.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    Can I buy 38 sp for my rifle at 18?

The old 1968 law required proof of age for ALL ammo that COULD be used in a handgun.

Larry

Boolit Bub
    I simply tell them that I am over 21. They then just zip through the questions.

Boolit Buddy
    When the clerk is selling any ammo the questions keeps them from getting fired. Same as if buying booze or smokes.
    USAF (Retired) 1985-2005

Boolit Grand Master

Legal requirements. Cannot sell pistol ammo to folks under 21. Most big companies
    absolutely forbid employees from judging age for tobacco products, probably the same
    for ammo. So - if it is for a rifle, no limit on age, or perhaps age 18, but I don't
    think so. If for a pistol, must prove over 21.

Heck, most probably don't remember that after the 1968 GCA, you had to SIGN a
    register with name, address, phone, etc for every ammo buy. It was a joke, many
    ordinary dept stores sold .22 ammo back then and kept it in a school spiral binder,
    scribbled illegibly and pages often about to fall out. Eventually, after a few decades
    of this nonsense, and zero use of the registers "to solve crimes", it was cancelled.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast