WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quality Of Armi Sharps And Iab Sharps Kits?

Boolit Buddy
    Gentlemen -

There has been some confusion about IAB and ARMI Sharps rifles. I had stated that I was looking at the possibility of buying an ARMI, but then several guys said no, I should not buy an IAB - "ALWAYS BROKE".

But I checked with an expert, and he said:

"Sharps made by IAB (Industria Armi Brescia) are also found marked EMF
    (Santa Ana, CA importer), SILE, Marcheno, Powder River, and they are now
    owned and marked Pedretti & Son.

But they are not to be confused with ArmiSport brand Sharps rifles. The IAB rifles are cheaper, more quickly made. The ArmiSport rifles are more costly, and
    superior in accuracy, function, and finish
    ."

Before you jump on me, yes I know the PEDERSOLI is an higher quality firearm than ARMI, but at age 77, I can't justify investing a big bundle for a rifle, and the PEDERSOLI is a whole bunch more than an ARMI Sharps. For example, one highly reputable dealer lists his ARMI QUIGLEY for only $1168, while his equivalent PEDERSOLI goes for $2,045.49 - $877 more. And, of course - at $2711 - the SHILO is more than twice the price of an ARMI.

And today, just for kicks, I started pricing antique Sharps rifles - the real thing, not replicas - but the first one I found was TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!

So many pretty weapons - so little time and money!

Gene

In Remembrance
    Having no hands-on experience with either brand, these are the impressions I have concerning those two makers.

IAB (also known by other designations) are safe to shoot, but not much more can be said about them. With knowledgeable effort, they can be made to function pretty reliably, and with some degree of accuracy.

ArmiSport rifles are (generally) of 'decent' quality, and some are very good.
    A 'good' one is usually good right out of the box, and the merely 'decent' ones can be tuned up enough to be pretty satisfying.

If buying an ArmiSport, I would prefer to find a well-maintained used rifle that the owner knew to be one of the 'good ones'.
    But, that takes some looking...and trust.

CM
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 03-21-2008 at 07:44 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi Knarley -

Just for the record, IAB and ARMI SPORT are two entirely different corporations, located in different areas of Italy. Most everybody agrees IAB Sharps are junky, but - after talking to about a dozen ARMI SPORT Sharps owners - most of them are well satisfied with the ARMI SPORT.

Right or wrong, I'm sufficiently convinced in the quality of ARMI SPORT, I'm going to get an ARMI SPORT QUIGLEY, 34" octagonal barrel, and set triggers in 50/90.

I'll let you know...

Cheers,

Gene

Boolit Master
    You can count me as a happy Armi Sport owner. It only cost me 600$ in like new condition, and after many rounds, the only issue was the need for a drop of Loctite on the screw for the set trigger. Way more accurate than it should be for 600$.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Dubber123 - I'm obviously delighted to hear your input!

Gene

Boolit Buddy
    Better buy a "shooters Friend" and a PAST recoil pad........That weight in the 50-90 is going to give a beating with that stock and steel buttplate.

I even use it on my 45-90 Quigley when I am testing a bunch of loads.
    So many toys........so little time.

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, WBH, I know you are correct. And I thank you for you concern.

But that's also what they told me when I bought the 460 Weatherby Magnum. And indeed I could not fire more than five rounds in any one day - BUT I LOVED IT!

I won't be in any organized competitions; I'll just be long range plinking and cartridge tweaking out here in the woods - a few shots a day. And I can handle it.

Thank you very much.

Gene

Hi Will,
    I have an IAB Sharps rifle too in 45-70. I bought it as a kit from Cape Outfitters. If you like to tinker, this is a good kit for it. It is kind of rough. The action and reciver are "In the white". The internal parts should be heat treated. I finnished the receiver with just bluing.
    It shoots great. It does need better sights. I don't use mine enough, and glad I don't have a lot invested. Did I say it shoots?

Scott

Boolit Buddy

Just a thought.....

The Quigley Sharps sold through Cabelas is A Pedersoli. Davide Pedersoli not that Dr. guy. I have NO experience with Armi Sport. I truley hope you and yer new "baby" will get along fine. Oh recoil pad...good Idea
    Knarleywheel weights

Boolit Buddy

IAB Sharps

Thanks guys for this thread. Bought one (IAB) on a lark to learn BPCR, before firing a C.Sharps I lucked into.
    Time to get the MAPP torch out and heat treat some internal parts while I wait for info on replacements for my IAB SHarps! It does shoot well, but when the half-cock goes to hell........

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmmm....with a drop in sales they must have decided to listen a bit, a little bit anyway. Now if they'd improve their heat treatment/hardening of the internals instead of leaving it to us. Their wordage has changed lately, no more saftey thingy!
    http://www.iabarms.com/sharps_model_1874.htm

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by zampilot View Post
    Their wordage has changed lately,
    Yeah. It says their Sporting model comes with a Bridgeport collar.
    I wonder how that compares with a Hartford collar...hmmm.
    CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Yeah. It says their Sporting model comes with a Bridgeport collar.
    I wonder how that compares with a Hartford collar...hmmm.
    CM
    They are both in the same state.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Mold

Sharps Kit?

Anyone know anywhere to actually get one of these?

Boolit Master
    Don't waste your time! "With the economy in the toilet, there are a lot of guns at fire sale prices." The guys with plenty of money aren't hurting, but a lot of guys who were saving for a SHARPS are paying for gas and groceries rather than an expensive rifle.

SHILOH has some guns in the sales rack at any given time; C. SHARPS has them available also. IDAHO SHARPSHOOTER got a hell of a deal on an AXTELL at the Quigley shoot from Miss Carmen. BILL GOODMAN has guns. Check out the black powder rifle web sites and internet auctions.

There's plenty of guns of all types for sale...and bargain prices on them to boot! Trading isn't a good option, but "yankee dollars" will get you a deal.

Last edited by EDK; 08-05-2008 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Mold
    I'm a do-it-yourself kinda guy. Almost none of my guns have avoided major overhauls by me. even if its just totally refinishing the stocks. I was looking at that kit because I can't find a Sharps that needs work.

Boolit Buddy
    "I can't find a Sharps that needs work."
    We are similar minded so buy an IAB SHarps and you'll most likely have something to do! I'd sell mine but I've done all the work!

Boolit Mold
    I too Have a IAB C. sharps in 45-70 made in Italy. I need to lighten up the trigger pull and can't find anything to show me how. I'm also looking for an owners manual for my sharps.

Boolit Master
    Well,a bit has happened since 2008 ,last response on this item......for one ,IAB has gone broke......as in defunct......I know of only one way of improving the trigger pull ......fit a double set trigger.................as the IAB was a pretty good copy of the original,and there are about a gazillion words written on Sharps rifles,no problem there..........There was only one real issue with the IABs , sometimes the lock parts wernt properly hardened.......this is easily rectified........for the $2000 difference in price...........that and the toothless yokels who wander round sayin "IAB-its alluz broke ----yuk yuk yuk......IAB its alluz broke yuk-yuk-yuk."

Banned

as with most things in life, you get what you pay for. usually. maybe.

considering that a shiloh or c.sharps rifle will be at least $2k and a 3 to 14 months wait, a pedersoli $1200 '74 #1 sharps silhouette (DGW current price) might be the better value, and with quality of components and build. at least they're the best of these kinda offshore guns.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast