Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anybody have a good porcipine recipe?

Boolit Bub

anybody have a good porcipine recipe?

I'm SERIOUSLY looking for a porcipine recipe, not quips about skinning one.

Boolit Master

Oh, I had a good one.(Quip that is.)
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Moderator Emeritus

If you are hungry enough to eat porcupine, gut it and roast over coals on a green stick. No salt or other spices just pretend it is the only thing you were able to harvest in 3 days. It will taste fine.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Are they that bad?

Boolit Master

They taste like pine trees.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Bub
    Chewy, griselly, and yah... taste like mud made with Pine Sol.

Vendor Sponsor

tried it.. stuck to the roof of my mouth
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Years ago when hunting caribou in northern Quebec, my guide killed one with his bare hands. He sent it back to his wife in Schefferville on the next supply plane.
    When the other guides found out that he did not share it with them they got very mad. It seems that porcupine is a delicacy for the Inuit.

Boolit Buddy
    When I was riding a motorcycle (KLR650) through Canada around eleven years ago I was told not to harm porcupines because they are considered survival food. They were easy to catch and plentiful back then. Being a Southerner the only thing I ate back then was grits and fried chicken.

Boolit Master
    I can't give you a good recipe for them just a word of advice.....don't deep fry them like chicken. I cooked and ate part of one when I was in high school on a bet. Worst texture of meat I have ever had, it seemed that there was a layer of fat between every layer of meat. I would only do it again if I had no other choice and I think I would probably roast it over an open fire.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Their taste will depend on where they have been living. My best luck has been to boil them, and skim off the stuff that floats on top. After that, you can treat it pretty much like chicken. I have never had it deep fried like Doug did, but I would have to question the culinary expertise of a bunch of high school or college guys doing the cooking! Fear Factor, all over again!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Quote Originally Posted by R8ed View Post
    I'm SERIOUSLY looking for a porcipine recipe, not quips about skinning one.
    Here are 2. 7.5 gr Unique, 230 gr bullet, .45 Colt; 7.8 grains 2400, 105 grain bullet, .32-20. DRT.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    Years ago when hunting caribou in northern Quebec, my guide killed one with his bare hands. He sent it back to his wife in Schefferville on the next supply plane.
    When the other guides found out that he did not share it with them they got very mad. It seems that porcupine is a delicacy for the Inuit.
    Fat is a delicacy in many rural environments. Some get it from porcupine and beavertail. Our preferred method in the U.S. is Ice Cream and candy bars.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Their taste will depend on where they have been living. My best luck has been to boil them, and skim off the stuff that floats on top. After that, you can treat it pretty much like chicken. I have never had it deep fried like Doug did, but I would have to question the culinary expertise of a bunch of high school or college guys doing the cooking! Fear Factor, all over again!
    I'm sure that played a small part in it.....I'm actually a pretty good cook....I was the only one to eat any of that critter though.

When I was in college in the dorms we would have guess what Doug cooked night. My room mates were from the city and for most part never had eaten wild game. They very rarely complained....except after they found out the tacos I had made was deer meat that happened to be road kill....it was fresh when I got it the police hadn't left and the car was still in the ditch. But turns out that's were most people draw the line. Rabbits, grouse, ducks, about anything else I killed they were all over it.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    If You Like Gin Then You will Like Porc'U'pine. I love gin so ...That good eating. ( Heck, anything from the wild is better than store bought) You got to at least try it once
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Moderator Emeritus

Put one on the smoker one year... wasn't bad... tasted better than the mud duck stew a friend made for our annual wild game feed.

Boolit Master
    This is actually a recipe for javelina, but I think it will be alright on porcupine.

1) Soak the carcass in buttermilk for 12-48hrs

2) Fill chest cavity with onions and peppers (the hotter the better).

3). Wrap completely in aluminum foil and slow roast in the oven at 200 degrees for 12 to 18hrs (just depends on the size of the critter).

4). This is critical. Place a sheet of cardboard on the rack just below the one the animal is baking on. Then slowly insert a meat thermometer into the BOTTOM of the foil allowing the juices to drip onto the cardboard.

5). The ideal temperature is between 165-170 degrees. Once this temperature is attained quickly remove the whole foil wrap and quickly throw it into a trash can (outside ones are best.)

6). Sit down and enjoy the cardboard.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Bub
    I once accidentally caught a porcupine in a snare about 30 years ago when I lived in Quebec. I skinned it and slowly roasted it in a roasting pan. It was fatty, but had a good flavour - somewhat reminded me pork.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

"Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast