Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My "new" 1894 Winchester

My "new" 1894 Winchester

I finally got the paperwork through and picked up my slightly used '94 (in 44-40). The club member selling it said he'd given up trying to get it to cycle reliably, but for $50 I said I'd take it and give it a go. It appears to be in pretty good nick, missing the rear sight but has part of the receiver peep sight fitted (I reckon I'll get rid of that and replace it with a tang peep sight). Interestingly, the tang isn't drilled and tapped for the front tang sight mounting screw (I thought they all were). Looks like it's a carbine model, as I just noticed that the barrel is shorter than my '92. (Just measured the barrel, 19" from the front of the receiver).

I made up a few dummy rounds and ran them through, they cycled ok until the last one - it doesn't eject, just sits in the receiver in front of the bolt when it's levered open. Happens every time, most peculiar. It also has a "safety" thingy so the trigger won't pull back unless the lever is held up tight to the wood - I reckon that'll have to go!

First thing to do is strip it and see what condition all the bits are in. Should be an interesting project.
    Last edited by dikman; 04-18-2015 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Measured barrel

What a deal you got!!! Caution, do not remove the "safety thingy" that is depressed by the lever. Sooner or later you will discharge the gun without the locking blocks being fully engaged and spring the action. Ask me how I know.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

I'll keep that in mind, Dan. I've stripped the innards, and it doesn't look too bad, although for the life of me I can't figure out what is supposed to "throw" the extracted cartridge up and out. It's obvious that when it's cycled the new cartridge coming up on the lifter is actually pushing the fired case out, which works fine until there's no new cartridge underneath, then the last one just sits there.

Can someone with a '94 tell me what's supposed to flick out the cartridge?

The ejector on a post-'64 is pinned to the bottom of the bolt. If you open the breech and look down at the bolt face, the ejector is the little rectangular bit that sticks out past the bolt face at the 6:00 position. When the round clears the chamber, the EJECTOR (under spring pressure) has nothing to hold it back so it quickly moves forward pushing the round in the path of least resistance, which would be the opening of the action, and out pops the casing.

If you do not see it, it is either missing or the spring that tensions it is broken or missing. If you do see it, press it to the rear with a tool- it should be under firm spring tension.

It is not a difficult part to find or replace but '94's can be a pain in the butt to disassemble/reassemble without instructions or experience.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjPlLQf73gQ

Last edited by Artful; 04-19-2015 at 01:19 AM.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thanks Artful, last things first, yes, they are a pain (compared to the '92) but I wasn't going to let that stop me! I've had it apart (and back together, with nothing left over) and yes, the ejector is the problem. Or rather, the lack of an ejector!! Looking at various parts diagrams they showed an ejector and spring. "What spring?" thinks I, I didn't see any spring. I then looked at my '92, figuring that while the parts will be different the basic operation will be the same. I see an ejector sticking forward, hmmm, nothing like that on the '94. I then realised what the problem is (and why I missed it). At some point someone has replaced the ejector, but they have gone to the trouble of machining a piece to fit exactly in place of the ejector and then pinned it in place!!!!

That's why I didn't notice it at first, because it looks like it's made to be there. If I had the old one I could make up a replacement, but without that it's going to be easier to just buy one. I can't see anything else that's wrong with it, everything else seems to work fine, and the bore looks excellent. I think that, for $50, it's probably worth spending another $40 or so for a few bits and pieces .

Interestingly, it cycles smoother than the '92, but my gut feeling is that I prefer the lockup bars on the '92 more than the '94's system. Still, it's nice having another lever, and the shorter barrel looks good sitting next to the longer '92. I might order another peep sight while I'm at it and fit one to both rifles.

I forgot to mention that mine is different to the drawing. The hammer doesn't have a stirrup (the spring bears directly against the bottom of the hammer), both the breech bolt and the extractor bar have three pin holes (presumably to allow different tension on the extractor, depending which holes are used for the pin) and the ejector appears to fit on the opposite side of the breech bolt. Which makes me wonder if all ejectors are the same for all '94's?
    Last edited by dikman; 04-19-2015 at 02:06 AM.

No they are not - and I if I remember right there a "deflector" on my friends 44 mag '94 that wasn't in my 375 big bore or 30-30
    je suis charlie

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Aaarrgghhh! This is getting complicated. Homestead parts list one for a .44mag, so I've emailed them to ask if it will fit a .44-40. I've looked at many drawings, but have yet to find one specifically for the .44-40 (which appears to be somewhat uncommon in the '94. I believe mine might be a Trails End model).

More searching required.....

je suis charlie

Banned

45 colt would be the closest, most available.
    they share the same case family [along with the 38-40]
    the rim on the 45 might be specced a little differently now days, but it should be close enough [or as close as you might get]

Brilliant, Artful! That's exactly what I needed, it appears that they are all different.

Just tried to order the part, they show no stock! Looks like I might be making one after all.......

More thinking....based on what runfiverun said, I looked up the .45 ejectors (or as much as I could find, I still can't find clear pictures of what they all look like). Winchester lists a 44 Rem/45 Colt as short, 1 1/4" (no idea how they're measured) and two "standard" (whatever that means), 1 short 1 1/4" and one long 2 1/8".

The attached photo shows the front of the bolt, one of my problems is I don't know if any of the other ejectors are shaped like the slot in my bolt.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bolt5.jpg  
    Last edited by dikman; 04-22-2015 at 06:32 AM.

Guess my thought would be - whoever made the part that is in there now - did they leave enough to modify it so that it could have a spring adapt for movement?
    je suis charlie

Not easily, Artful, although it might be possible (with a bit of work). Anyhow, I contacted MGW, and even though it shows nil stock when I try to order it they said they do show one in stock. I might be lucky, I've asked them to hold it for me pending placing an order. I noticed that they have a Lyman peep sight for the '94 on special too .

We'll cross our fingers for you.

Some other places to try

Bob's Gun Shop
    Po Box 200 Royal AR 71968
    MILLIONS OF GUN PARTS !!
    FAX 24 hours a Day (501)-767-2750
    (Leave Your FAX # when you FAX.)

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufac...346.htm?page=2

Western Gun Part Limited
    17324 106 A Avenue
    Edmonton AB, T5S1E6
    Phone: 780-489-5711
    Fax: 780-489-5717
    Website
    Email

Nu-Line Guns
    8150 CR 4055
    Rhineland MO, 65069
    Phone: 573-676-5500
    Website
    Email

Wisner's Inc.
    P.O. Box 58
    Adna WA, 98522
    Phone: 360-748-4590
    Fax: 360-748-6028
    Website
    Email

Service

Midwest Gunworks
    1101 Mason Circle Drive South
    Pevely MO, 63070
    Phone: 636-475-7300
    Fax: 636-475-7303
    Website
    Email
    je suis charlie

Boolit Grand Master

One more http://www.jackfirstgun.com/index.php

Jack First Gunshop - 1201 Turbine Drive, Rapid City, South Dakota

I feel like I'm taking one step forward and two back!!! MGW have pretty well what I want, but their checkout says that they won't accept orders from overseas! I've emailed them to confirm this, as while I'll pay for the goods I want them shipped to a Missouri address.

Just when I thought that I had it sorted......

Well, MGW confirmed that they can't/won't accept payment on an overseas credit card! I said a few naughty words when I read this. I've asked my friend if she can order it when she's in the US (something I didn't want to have to ask her to do) but, of course, if she has an Australian credit card then it probably won't work even if she's over there .

In the meantime, I've managed to modify the existing lump of metal to sort of work as an ejector. There wasn't enough metal on it to give me a very long pin, so the spring I used (from my collection of assorted springs) isn't really long enough, or strong enough - but while it does eject the cartridges, unfortunately it throws them back at the shooter! If I can't get the one from MGW (who, btw, appear to have the only 44-40 ejector in captivity) then with what I've learned from this little exercise I'll fabricate a better one with a bit more force in it.

The next problem I found was while cycling dummy rounds through it the lever would not always close, it remained in the down position and was pretty solidly stuck. I eventually figured out that the locking bar that slides up behind the bolt was catching somewhere - but not every time. I finally found a slight raised ridge on the inside edge of the locking bar guide channel, not much but enough to catch the locking bar. A Dremel grinding bit, honing stone and wet and dry paper finally smoothed it out, and for good measure I rounded off and polished the top edge of the locking bar. That fixed that problem.

I guess this is part of the issue I've read about with the quality of the receiver castings they used.

Next problem, the force required to operate the lever was pretty heavy and it didn't take long for the back of my fingers to start hurting!! This one has the two flat springs pushing up on the hammer - one long one and a second, shorter stiffer one underneath it - unlike some that apparently use a coil spring? So, I removed the shorter spring and replaced it with a couple of washers as spacers. Much better, now it's a lot smoother to cycle.

Now I just need a rear sight of some sort (had half a receiver peep sight, which I've removed) and I might be able to hit something! All in all, I'm starting to feel pretty happy with my $50 Winchester

You guys are probably sick of this by now, but the genuine ejector has been ordered! Yay! Probably the last one in the US! My friend's husband has a US credit card, so even though he's here in Oz he ordered the bits I want. I'm very curious to see what this ejector looks like.

MGW also have a Lyman tang sight for the 94 at a good price, so for good measure I've ordered one of those too.

Boolit Master
    Outstanding dikman.There`s always a way to take the curves out of the road.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

I love it when a levergun comes together! Glad to hear it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast